Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 11-29-2013, 02:40 PM

Default Eleven Rack, PT, and Mavericks ?

Sold my 11R a few years ago, but decided I need something for recording, and I really loved the recorded tone of my 11R. I also like the idea of the 11R because I can integrate it into my live rig, as well as use as an interface. I could honestly just get a cheap interface and use garageband for my recording needs. More for song writing than production. But, it would be nice to have it all in protools if things progress.

I was about to pull the trigger on the sweetwater bundle, and decided to do some reading here first.

Looks like you have to run PT10 to get the editor window, which is a must so I can load all of my old rigs, back it all up, and try other user rigs. Using PT10 is cool with me, I'm sure it's better than garageband. The problem is I have already upgraded my mac to mavericks. I love mavericks and don't plan to down grade my OS. The notes at Avid say that PT10.3.7 and older are not compatible with mavericks. And no 11R GUI in PT11.

Is there a later version of PT10 than 10.3.7? I can't seem to find it on Avid.

Any word of an editor being added to PT11?

Thanks for any help or insight on this.

Has Avid basically stopped supporting 11R?
Old 11-29-2013, 03:08 PM

Default Re: Eleven Rack, PT, and Mavericks ?

Google would this for you: a handy video from Benoni https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdfuoQRVyGs

Support from Avid for the Eleven Rack has been pretty thin, except for some driver updates, the core team who developed the product is no longer at Avid. I would only buy an Eleven Rack for exactly what it can do today and not with any expectation of future capability. Even then it seems a 'must have' to me.

10.3.7 is the current version of Pro Tools 10.

Otherwise Pro Tools 11 and the Eleven Rack should all work with Maverics, but co-installs of Pro Tools 10 are not currently supported. Unclear what Avid's plan is there.
Old 11-29-2013, 07:03 PM

Thank you.

I found his youtube page, but didn't notice this video.

Too bad about the 11R team. I had some dealings with them, always good, and helpful. Such a great product too. So, probably not much hope in a PT11 editor?

Is the license for only on computer? I just realized that my has not updated her mac yet. Could run 10 on hers to edit, and 11 on mine for recording.
Old 11-29-2013, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducmike View Post
Thank you.

I found his youtube page, but didn't notice this video.

Too bad about the 11R team. I had some dealings with them, always good, and helpful. Such a great product too. So, probably not much hope in a PT11 editor?

Is the license for only on computer? I just realized that my has not updated her mac yet. Could run 10 on hers to edit, and 11 on mine for recording.
Avid promised the Eleven Rack editor is coming in future versions of Pro Tools 11 and that promise was made well after the core team and Avid went different ways.

Pro Tools is licensed via an iLok dongle, you can install the Pro Tools software on as many computers (Macs or PCs) as you want but only it on the one the iLok is connected to. And the iLok needs to stay connected to that computer during use.
Old 11-30-2013, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Avid promised the Eleven Rack editor is coming in future versions of Pro Tools 11 and that promise was made well after the core team and Avid went different ways.

Pro Tools is licensed via an iLok dongle, you can install the Pro Tools software on as many computers (Macs or PCs) as you want but only it on the one the iLok is connected to. And the iLok needs to stay connected to that computer during use.
Cool. Thank you again, very helpful info.

Now I just need to convince my wife that she doesn't need mavericks until the editor is available in PT11.
Old 11-30-2013, 09:01 AM

Change the desktop background to a big wave.... Look Mavericks!
Old 12-01-2013, 09:47 PM

For what it is worth, I decided to be a guinea pig and loaded Protools 10.3.7 on OSX10.9 (Mavericks) on a 2009 Macbook Pro (second computer) and it all loaded up okay and is running. I haven't tried my Eleven Rack yet as it is still packed away from my move. If you're brave, go for it.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1
Old 12-01-2013, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidian Dragon View Post
For what it is worth, I decided to be a guinea pig and loaded Protools 10.3.7 on OSX10.9 (Mavericks) on a 2009 Macbook Pro (second computer) and it all loaded up okay and is running. I haven't tried my Eleven Rack yet as it is still packed away from my move. If you're brave, go for it.
The Avid warning is not so much it won't work, but that the uninstaller has issues further down the road. I'm not sure anybody has described exactly what the issue is, and it would be sad if Avid can't clean up any mess caused in subsequent installers or uninstallers. But I would not just feel you are all set if you install it and it works. (... and just for giggles I have PT 9.0.5 running on Mavericks on one iMac here. But hey I'll trash and reinstall that 10.9 in a blink if needed).