Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2012, 08:50 PM

Question remove ‘surround mixer’ plugin from TDM rig to gain more power?

I am working on some very, very complicated and large stereo mixes on a TDM HD3 Accel rig. (Mac)

I may get very close to running out of TDM power - plugins that I can’t change to RTAS... as I would lose too many voices (that I need) going between TDM->RTAS->TDM environment...... if I changed some TDM plugs to RTAS :-(

Would it be a smart idea to remove the ‘surround mixer’ plugin from the plugin’s folder (just for this project) to gain more power?

I see in the System Usage meter that the surround mixer is eating up three whole slots of power.

Yes I know I’d lose the -3 pan law option - but I’m OK with that.

Advice?

Thanks

Last edited by MixerGuy; 07-26-2012 at 08:50 PM. Reason: clarification.
Old 07-27-2012, 06:31 PM

Default Re: remove ‘surround mixer’ plugin from TDM rig to gain more power?

You'll definitely gain back a couple a' chips going down to the stereo mixer (you won't need PFL/AFL while mixing anyhow). The other thing you may want to consider is doing a bit of voice sharing... Yeah, it's a pain in the ass, and can only be done on tracks with TDM plugins, but if you have a pile of BG vocal or percussion tracks that only happen here and there (and don't overlap), and you're not using any RTAS on them (or can get away with TDM) then you can probably free up a whole pile of voices....

I have mixes that max out my HD6 with voice sharing, etc., that wouldn't open on an HDX1...

Just a thought...
Old 07-30-2012, 01:14 AM

I'm NOT SURE about this but it seems to me that I've done mixes (where I had similar problems) where the Surround mixer did not show up in the system usage and I THINK (!) I manged to config it so something else showed up there like "Stereo mixer" instead (using a lot less DSP !)

As I said, I am not 100% sure, but it might be worth a try: AFAIK I just took everything that has to do with surround channels out in the io setup. (exported / saved the old setup before that of course , by deleting those paths

This might be more convenient than deleting prefs (and not knowing whether they can / will be recovered correctly later without re-instalting the whole PT etc...)

Maybe worth a try, just dont forget so save your settings first... and perhaps I remember wrongly...

Hard: ProTools HD 3, PCI-e core & accel, 96 I/O, 192 digital I/O, HD MADI / Sync I/O (not sync HD)
Quad-Core Mac, Intel
Old 08-09-2012, 03:15 PM

If it is a really complex mix then surely there are tracks that can be printed.
Old 08-09-2012, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkBasilar View Post
If it is a really complex mix then surely there are tracks that can be printed.
nope.

and

I can't explain the complexity of the mix for reasons of confidentiality.

as per my clients request.
Old 08-09-2012, 04:23 PM

ahh clients...they are a curious bunch are they not? Perhaps suggest to them that the cost of your time researching the problem could be better invested in another TDM card