Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2022, 05:14 AM

Default Sending PT Recording in Real Time over Skype or Zoom

Is there a way to record into my Pro Tools and at the same time send the audio to my voice coach remotely? I'm trying to see if there is a way that my voice coach can work with me while I'm singing in real time in Pro Tools. Normally we use Skype but I'm open to trying a different platform such as Zoom, etc. Any thoughts would be welcome.
Old 01-12-2022, 07:13 AM

Default Re: Sending PT Recording in Real Time over Skype or Zoom

There is a setting in Zoom, when you are the host, that allows all apps on your desktop to be viewed by your audience pretty solid on a windows-based computer slightly wobbly on a mac. Make sure that is selected and it should work.
Old 01-12-2022, 07:27 AM

Since you’re using a UAD interface you can run Pro Tools and Zoom at the same time and share the hardware.

In Zoom select the UAD as your audio input and output. Turn on high fidelity music mode in Zoom.

There are plenty of YouTube videos out there demonstrating how to do this.

There are also many different platforms to choose from. Such as

Riverside.fm
Soundwhale
Sessionwire

Audio only methods
SonoBus
AudioMovers
Source-Connect Now

Some are free and some are not

System performance might vary depending on your specs
Old 01-12-2022, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philgrab View Post
... pretty solid on a windows-based computer ...
Really? Windows/Pro Tools really freaks if you try to share the audio interface with another app like Zoom. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 01-12-2022, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EGS View Post
Really? Windows/Pro Tools really freaks if you try to share the audio interface with another app like Zoom. Correct me if I'm wrong.
The OP is on a MacBook so not really applicable here either way.

I can't speak for Windows experience. I've stayed away from anything Microsoft for the last 15 years when it comes to Pro Tools.
Old 01-12-2022, 09:13 AM

Quote:
It’s likely it works OK on Mac, just try stuff like that on Macs. Sharing devices/drivers can work on Windows if the drivers are multi-client but it’s much more a crap-shoot, including crossing WDM and ASIO streams. Best not to cross the streams…

Another option on Macs is audio routing software like Rogue Amoeba Loopback: a Swiss army tool for audio routing that I would often reach for for stuff like this. But no need to if just sharing the device works OK for this.

The real thing here is what actual workflow the student and voice coach want, its2loud gave a good list of options to give an idea what is possible.
Old 01-12-2022, 09:30 AM

Any Windows solution for Zoom & Pro Tools?
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 01-12-2022, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Source-Nexus is available for Windows now if you want to send/receive to/from Zoom directly in Pro Tools.
Old 01-12-2022, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Source-Nexus as mentioned. SonoBus is free and multi-platform (Mac, PC and Linux), an interface with Loopback built in, an interface with multi-client drivers as Darryl mentioned.

Since I have an RME interface I have a few options as Loopback is built into RME's TotalMix and RME's drivers are multi-client.

I can use the mic input into my interface and set that as the default in Control Panel>Sound>Recording and use that in Zoom or similar as its input.

I can use Pre-Fader Sends to one of my outputs on my interface and Loop that back to an input and set that as Zoom's input. Interestingly, TotalMix allows the use of any I/O for Loopback. For example, I don't have anything connected to my ADAT or AES inputs or outputs, but can use any of them as virtual outputs Looped back to virtual inputs.

Personally, unless the audio I'm sending is "mission critical", I've simply cabled my onboard Realtek soundcard to inputs and therefore into Pro Tools and use Pre-Fader Sends from Pro Tools to an analog output and cabled that to the Line-in on my Realtek and that is the Record default and the input to Zoom or similar.

If the audio is "mission critical" I output to AES use Loopback to AES input and set that as the Recording default. However, given that the audio through browser-based apps like Zoom is sometimes less than high quality, I would prefer to use Source-Connect, Sessionwire or SonoBus in this case.

The Loopback feature also allows me to use Source-Connect or similar standalone rather that use a plug-in within Pro Tools. On Windows I've had issues of squeaks and squawks on the incoming audio from the S-C Link plug-in, thankfully not in my outgoing audio, but not with S-C standalone. Source-Elements' support told me it was a known issue with Windows, said it would be addressed in v4.0 - which has been promised for at least 3 years or more - and suggested I get a separate, inexpensive interface, to be able to use the Link plug-in. Since I'd already spent enough money on an almost $2,500 interface, I looked for a cheaper solution

As always, YMMV.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 01-18-2022, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
It’s likely it works OK on Mac, just try stuff like that on Macs. Sharing devices/drivers can work on Windows if the drivers are multi-client but it’s much more a crap-shoot, including crossing WDM and ASIO streams. Best not to cross the streams…

Another option on Macs is audio routing software like Rogue Amoeba Loopback: a Swiss army tool for audio routing that I would often reach for for stuff like this. But no need to if just sharing the device works OK for this.

The real thing here is what actual workflow the student and voice coach want, its2loud gave a good list of options to give an idea what is possible.
Thanks Darryl Ramm - The real goal that I'm after is for me to sing back a song part to my voice coach and have her hear it with minimal latency. This way she can give me feedback. I thought that if I was able to do record my part into Pro Tools at the same time, how wild and awesome would that be? There must be Pro Tools users out there that are doing this. Now that I am being more specific, is this still possible?