How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2016, 03:02 PM

Default Roland TD3 MIDI Setup

Hi,

I'm running PT11 on Windows 10 and I borrowed a friend's old Roland TD3 to record some MIDI drums this weekend. I've been banging my head against the wall for two days now trying to get it set up properly. I've been able to get it working in EZDrummer standalone simple enough, but when it comes to getting any sort of connectivity with Pro Tools there's no dice.

I've looked up several youtube videos, gone into the Midi Studio setup window (which looks very different on my PC than most of the Mac versions in the videos), tried setting it up as a peripheral, but to no avail. I keep getting messages that it won't recognize my device.

And yes, I have made sure the associated MIDI tracks are record-enabled and that my kit is turned on. I'm almost certain I'm missing something in the I/O setup stage, but I can't find it to save my life. I'm attaching screenshots. Any help would be very appreciated.

Old 06-12-2016, 04:04 PM

Default Re: Roland TD3 MIDI Setup

By the way, running Windows 10, through an Audiobox USB in PT11.
Old 06-12-2016, 06:44 PM

You have over-thunk it. Follow along and with any luck, this will get you going.

Step 1-open peripherals and select none(that isn't where things need to be done for this setup, and may be confusing the issue).

Step 2-open Setup>Midi>Midi Studio. On this page(thanks for the screen shots), while using midi channel 10 is "technically" correct, unless you have other midi controllers, you can leave all channels in blue(Receive channels are not even needed unless you want to send midi back to the Roland unit). I assume you have a midi cable going from the TD3 midi OUT to the midi INPUT of the Audiobox? As for the midi OUTPUT, this is optional( and only needed if you want to send midi BACK to the Roland to use the sounds from there, instead of EZDrummer).

Step 3-scrap all your current tracks associated with EZDrummer and midi, and call up one stereo INSTRUMENT track and insert EZDrummer in the top-most slot(no other settings need to be done). Put this INSTRUMENT track into record and play the kit, and it SHOULD work. Fingers crossed

More info-The input of the INSTRUMENT track shown is actually for bringing in audio from an outside sound source(since you are using the sounds of EZDrummer, nothing should be done with the default input). If you go View>Mix Window Shows, and check "Instrument", it will add a row of boxes across the top which will show incoming midi sources(by default it will be set to ALL) and a destination for the midi information(which should default to EZDrummer, or whatever VI plugin you assign). This box will be empty on audio and aux tracks. Note that if you change that plugin to a different plugin, the midi output assignment will need to be reset to the new plugin). Midi can seem like a mystery at first as it bears little resemblance to audio. Once you get your head around it, things will get better

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-05-2017, 10:10 AM

I also have a Roland TD-3 that I use with Kontakt 5 in Pro Tools 11. As of right now, I cannot get it to work. Like I mentioned, I have done this just as posted above with success but now it doesn't work.

Any suggestions on how I may fix this issue? I have looked at MIDI Studio and changed various inputs but have not had success. It was easy before. What might I have done?

Thanks
Old 02-05-2017, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebot000 View Post
I also have a Roland TD-3 that I use with Kontakt 5 in Pro Tools 11. As of right now, I cannot get it to work. Like I mentioned, I have done this just as posted above with success but now it doesn't work.

Any suggestions on how I may fix this issue? I have looked at MIDI Studio and changed various inputs but have not had success. It was easy before. What might I have done?

Thanks
If you did the Peripherals/HUI thing, nix that(set to NONE) as its not part of the proper setup for using the Roland kit.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-05-2017, 07:44 PM

Yes, I have set that to none. That's the strange thing because I went through this before, then realized how easy it was to set up.

In Kontakt 5 if I push play on the drum groove player, it plays in Pro Tools. When I hit the pads on the TD-3, nothing. The track is armed to record also.

I have the same issue with the TD-3 and Superior Drummer 2 in Pro Tools. I just can't figure it out.
Old 02-07-2017, 12:02 AM

Have you turned local off in the V-Drum module?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-07-2017, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nige108 View Post
Have you turned local off in the V-Drum module?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't know of that as an option on the module. I never had to before. I looked and did not see that as an option on the TD-3. I went through the kits just to check and see if I had to be on a certain number... still nothing in Kontakt. My interface is receiving MIDI though.

Thanks