Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 09-21-2002, 05:20 AM

Default 5.1 Surround Plugin or Addon

How much would you pay to be able to mix in surround with PTLE? I personally would say that I would pay for a 400-500 dollar plugin or addon to PT.
It seems a little steep, but it would probably be worth it. Better than a few grand for a TDM rig (which I am hoping to do soon).

I just saw a 5.1 seminar presented by Edirol, Emagic, Lake, Tascam, and Tannoy. It was great, and they showed a ton of ways to mix 'cheaply' in surround (Using Logic Platinum, and DP 3.0 briefly). They showed everything from 300 dollar interfaces and up mixing and doing surround.

I just kept thinking ,"Protools is like a ball and chain to me, even cheaper products like Acid Pro 4.0 can do surround, but because I want to have something that I can exchange sessions with just about everyone and their brother, I have PT, and am not getting rid of it soon."

I would love to be able to go buy a few more speakers, a bass management system (there's a cool tascam one out), a surround Addon, and the KindaLoud Surround encoder, and do surround for much less than even the TDM rig would start to cost me.

Let's not get into the discussion about how 5.1 isn't in most homes, etc. The guy at the conference said that Dolby told him that at xmas, there were over 8 million surround sound systems in the US, and probably half of them were properly setup. He said there are probably closer to 12 million now, since surround is getting so cheap. If anyone here has credits on 12 million records, then you can say that it's pointless to do surround, elsewise, shutup.

Anyone else? DIGI!!! This would be a good way to make some money for a relatively quick task for you to program. Make more money off the people who have DIGI001 (because we aren't getting the Digi002s)
Boston, Mass
Old 09-21-2002, 07:09 AM

Default Re: 5.1 Surround Plugin or Addon

While I would like surround support too (why stop there, I would also like command focus, TCE tool, blah, blah, blah) it aint gonna happen. Digi wants you to buy TDM. That's where they make their money.

Until everyone starts spending their money on competitors' products, Digi will not budge.

Try SX or Nuendo.

(Sorry to sound like an ass, but it's the way it is.)
Old 09-21-2002, 07:13 AM

Greetings David and Digi,

I would greatly appreciate 5.1 functions (as in the TDM version of PT) to be made available in PTle.

I think PTle is excellent software, please take a bow!

I am one of the first cabs off the rank for the 002, it looks excellent.

You should all be proud.

Many of us are doing some work in 5.1. I have a very good 5.1 mastering setup. My decoding is first done with the SoundField SP451 from the B-format input. It is a first class system as you no doubt know. It would be fabulous to have dedicated tools in PTle for dealing with the surround format.

How about it?

Hope you can accommodate us.

I disagree with David though on the price. I would like to see it as standard or for very little extra.

Best regards,

Haigbabe
Old 09-22-2002, 03:35 PM

I would very much like to see a plugin for surround panning, or even better, native support for this added in the next PTLE release. I don't think that paying an extra 4-500$ is fair, though. This should ideally be included in the next version. However, after doing a few 5.1 mixes on an TDM mix system (with a procontroller) I worry a bit about the performance of surround mixing on PTLE. It seemed like the 5.1 routing took an awful lot of DSP resources on the TDM system, up to the point where you could not add a single d-verb without getting error messages.

Espen
Old 09-22-2002, 07:03 PM

KindOfLoud makes 5.1 mixing plugins, but last I saw they were mac only and relatively new. They make seperate ones for Dolby and DTS and you need outboard encoding/decoding as well as the monitoring environment.

www.disposableproductions.com
Old 09-22-2002, 09:29 PM

I know everybody talks about 5.1 and how much they would love to mix in that envrionment, myself included, but you can do so much mixing in and for Dolby Pro Logic. I recently finished my last CD and encoded the final tracks through a Stereo Matrix all in LE. I had a friend send me the info on how to do it and it works. The cool thing about Pro Logic is that it adds a 3 dimensional feel to your stereo image that's easliy heard on the headphones and it's all done through the final L/R mix of your song. Of course Pro Logic is played on a 5.1 system and alot of the DVD's out there only have Pro Logic instead of 5.1. All major CD's manufactured and released are done in Pro Logic and it's cool because it adds that extra depth to the image and can be heard and monitored on headphones in real time. If anyone is interested on how to do it do a search in this forum for surround mixing. If you can't find it and would like the template e-mail me for the info. I hope this helps.