Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2020, 06:00 AM

Default Dolby Atmos (TrueHD) Monitoring in the Studio

Hi

I have an Atmos-specific question to users of the Dolby Media Producer Suite and in particular the Dolby Media Decoder part of the tool:

In the description it is mentioned that:

This professional reference decoder decodes and monitors these Dolby audio formats:
  • Dolby TrueHD with Dolby Atmos®
I have built a small Dolby Atmos (7.1.4) setup with the MTRX Studio and Dolby Atmos Production Suite. I want to be able to monitor (and study) film mixes done in Atmos (from BluRay and similar sources).

Am I understanding the "monitoring" part of the media decoder correctly that it would allow me to monitor a TrueHD file (from a bluray) via my 7.1.4 system at the studio?

The Atmos renderer only play Atmos master files, so I can't play TrueHD directly, but it would be great to be able to study great Atmos mixes in a software way, without the need for an AVR with 12 analog outputs and route them back into the MTRX.

Any confirmations, tips and help are greatly appreciated, thanks :)
Old 07-16-2020, 06:48 AM

Default Re: Dolby Atmos (TrueHD) Monitoring in the Studio

UNless they have changed the media production suite from the version I have, it is meant to decode/monitor .MLP, .AC3, .EC3, etc files that you have created with the encoder. This is a confidence pass for encodes that you have made for encoding. There is not an option for live pass through. If you can rip the audio into a TrueHD encoded file, then you can play it back.

Randall

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViciousLullabyz View Post
Hi

I have an Atmos-specific question to users of the Dolby Media Producer Suite and in particular the Dolby Media Decoder part of the tool:

In the description it is mentioned that:

This professional reference decoder decodes and monitors these Dolby audio formats:
  • Dolby TrueHD with Dolby Atmos®
I have built a small Dolby Atmos (7.1.4) setup with the MTRX Studio and Dolby Atmos Production Suite. I want to be able to monitor (and study) film mixes done in Atmos (from BluRay and similar sources).

Am I understanding the "monitoring" part of the media decoder correctly that it would allow me to monitor a TrueHD file (from a bluray) via my 7.1.4 system at the studio?

The Atmos renderer only play Atmos master files, so I can't play TrueHD directly, but it would be great to be able to study great Atmos mixes in a software way, without the need for an AVR with 12 analog outputs and route them back into the MTRX.

Any confirmations, tips and help are greatly appreciated, thanks :)
Denver, CO
Old 07-16-2020, 07:33 AM

Hi Randall

Thanks for your answer; I'm not sure I'm following 100% yet.

As far as Dolby info tells me: V2 of the suite has full support for TrueHD with Atmos, so I can of course encode my .atmos master files to the TrueHD format. Could I then monitor this TrueHD file back through my studio speaker setup with the software (Media Producer Suite) that I just encoded it with?

If yes, then I would also be able to rip any TrueHD stream from a bluray and monitor the file via the suite, or am I understanding this the wrong way and I can not actually monitor TrueHD (whether encoded myself or not) via Media Producer Suite?

Roger
Old 10-05-2023, 01:13 AM

Hi !
Sorry to dig out this old topic but ...

Did you find a solution to monitor TrueHD Atmos ?

Thanks.
Old 10-05-2023, 06:39 AM

Here