Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2017, 10:43 AM

Default Can the Artist Transport knobs do more than one thing?

I know this is a discontinued/obsolete product, but I was wondering if anyone else here has done much customization for this interface.

This might be a dumb question;
- Is it possible to create a soft key mode that gives functionality to BOTH the jog wheel AND the shuttle dial AT THE SAME TIME?

Even in the default preset function:
- the first key puts it into JOG mode and the wheel jogs but the shuttle dial does nothing.
- The second key puts it into SHUTTLE mode and now the shuttle shuttles but the jog wheel does nothing.
I've never seen anything like this and it makes zero sense; the whole point of a jog and shuttle dual wheel would seem to be to use them interchangeably without having to change 'modes' (otherwise there is no advantage over just having a single wheel).

I tried to create a custom soft key, which in Eucontrol allows you to add a separate JOG WHEEL and SHUTTLE WHEEL entry, alluding it might allow you to associate individual functions for each, but it then applies the second function to the first control no matter what and you get bizarre behaviors.

Is there something I'm doing wrong? Is there some actual reason only 1 of 2 of the control knobs can work at a time!?!

Last edited by Maskeeper; 05-16-2017 at 11:03 AM.
Old 05-17-2017, 03:08 AM

Default Re: Can the Artist Transport knobs do more than one thing?

I did a lot of customization for this interface to use both wheels at the same time for different operations. For which application you use it?

In Logic I had to setup own customized wheel operators because the default functions for that are buggy (firmware bug of the interface and/or faulty EuControi implementation in Logic for years). I think this is similar to other applications?!

All customized commands for wheel operation that use key commands work very well (e.g. in Final Cut).
Old 05-17-2017, 03:36 PM

I literally only use it for protools using eucon commands
Old 05-18-2017, 09:18 AM

So your way to use both wheels is to find out, if protools supports this operations like jog, shuttle an scrub as key shortcuts as it logic does. Then you have to setup customized wheel operations in EuControl and everything works fine (even the indicator leds switch the right way). The Jog wheel operations are indicated as text on the display, the Shuttle wheel operations are not indicated (Firmware bug).

Perhaps there are some users that already did the trick in protools to send you a xml-setup-file.
Old 05-18-2017, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maskeeper View Post
This might be a dumb question;
- Is it possible to create a soft key mode that gives functionality to BOTH the jog wheel AND the shuttle dial AT THE SAME TIME?

Even in the default preset function:
- the first key puts it into JOG mode and the wheel jogs but the shuttle dial does nothing.
- The second key puts it into SHUTTLE mode and now the shuttle shuttles but the jog wheel does nothing.
This all works using Cubase... You push the first button to enable JOG...

You push the second button to enable SHUTTLE, or SCRUB...

There is no reason that they both cannot be active at the same time, or one at a time!

If you can't already do that... then I would suspect AVID for not implementing these functions properly within PRO TOOLS!

Al
Old 05-19-2017, 09:30 AM

Quote:
find out, if protools supports this operations like jog, shuttle and scrub as key shortcuts as it logic does
It does; and it actually supports the function via EUCON which is a ProTools specific interface protocol giving you direct access to several functions without using quick keys.

That said; as I mentioned shuttle and scrub are already mapped via eucon and technically working. They're just each mapped to their own soft key instead of having both functions recalled using one key...

I am actually trying to create a different custom function (Jog wheel nudges clip and shuttle wheel changes nudge values) and found I could not get 2 functions (1 jog and 1 shuttle functions) working on a single soft key. So I checked the default functions AS AN EXAMPLE and found AVID seemed to have the same issue with jog/shuttle (these were not mapped under one soft keys as would be logical, but rather separate keys)-- leading me to be suspicious if this programming was just a dumb AVID thing or if it meant the transport just cannot physically have a jog function and a shuttle function recalled from the same soft key.

So I then, as a test, tried to manually copy over the shuttle functionality and add it as a second function to the first softkey (so first soft key would assign JOG to the jog wheel and SHUTTLE to the shuttle wheel under one soft key). Again I did this JUST AS A SIMPLE EXAMPLE to see if having multiple functions (one for jog and one for shuttle) work and it sends the whole thing haywire.

Quote:
Then you have to setup customized wheel operations in EuControl and everything works fine
I HAVE setup custom wheel operations and unfortunately nothing works fine; at least not when trying to assign two functions to one soft key. Neither my own custom designed function (Jog wheel nudges clip and shuttle wheel changes nudge values) nor a test operation (jog wheel jogs and shuttle wheel shuttles) work properly when assigned on a single soft key;

again leading me to ask the $64,000 question if it's even possible to have a single soft key recall a function to both wheels, since both my experiments seem to indicate it isn't.

Quote:
You push the first button to enable JOG...
Yep
Quote:
You push the second button to enable SHUTTLE, or SCRUB...
Uh-huh
Quote:
There is no reason that they both cannot be active at the same time
Please tell me how you activate them at the same time??

I am NOT able to select 2 soft buttons at once; so I cannot press the first and second at the same time.

I am not able to add the both functions (Jog on Jog, Shuttle on Shuttle) to one soft button in Eucontrol, when I tried to add shuttle's function to the first button, the jog immediately starts shuttling and the shuttle does nothing; it just goes wacky.

Last edited by Maskeeper; 05-19-2017 at 09:55 AM.
Old 05-20-2017, 05:44 PM

Quote:

Yep

Uh-huh

Please tell me how you activate them at the same time??

I am NOT able to select 2 soft buttons at once; so I cannot press the first and second at the same time.
Who said anything about holding the buttons down at the same time?

Button one is a toggle for JOG function!

Button two is a toggle for the SHUTTLE / SCRUB function!

In Cubase... pressing button one, does not cancel button two, or vice versa, so in my case... if I press button one... It enables the JOG function, and then if I press button two... It "ALSO" enables the SHUTTLE / SCRUB function!

Now, if I press button one again... I disable the JOG function, but the SHUTTLE / SCRUB function is still active!

You have to also remember that this is how it works with Cubase... these buttons may behave differently in PRO TOOLS depending on how AVID programmed the EuCon Adapter!!

You want to know something else... buttons one, and two also have shifted functionality in Cubase! You hold the shift button on the controller, and the buttons have a different function... cool huh!

Al
Old 05-22-2017, 03:06 AM

Quote:
leading me to be suspicious if this programming was just a dumb AVID thing or if it meant the transport just cannot physically have a jog function and a shuttle function recalled from the same soft key.
It's not only a dumb AVID thing but the same dumb EUCON implementation on APPLE's LOGIC PRO side. If I read your thread It seems for me the same for PROTOOLS

Quote:
It does; and it actually supports the function via EUCON which is a ProTools specific interface protocol giving you direct access to several functions without using quick keys.
But exactly this is what you have to setup. For wheel operations you should avoid setups that use direct EUCON commands, but "translate" those wheel functions to keyboard shortcuts you can define in PROTOOLS. It's easy for the JOG wheel with only two directions but much more complicated for the SHUTLLE wheel with 7 zones for both directions + 4 x 7 transitions. Try to setup customized wheel commands that base on keyboard shortcuts and switch those with one soft key!
Old 07-03-2017, 11:43 PM

Quote:

I am not able to add the both functions (Jog on Jog, Shuttle on Shuttle) to one soft button in Eucontrol, when I tried to add shuttle's function to the first button, the jog immediately starts shuttling and the shuttle does nothing; it just goes wacky.
I just bought a Transport and I am working on the exact same problem. Have you made any progress? I tried all the same things before I found this thread... I'm all out of ideas!
Pro Tools Studio
www.studioaix.fr
Old 07-20-2017, 02:24 AM

Last try to explain alternative and working ways for Shuttle/Jog from my side…

Example for a custom Shuttle Wheel setup (because I do not work with Protools this is theoretical and not tested):

I found a Key command and shortcut list for Protools. There is an example for Shuttle Mode Shortcuts with numeric Keypad. 2x 6 speeds (1/16, 1/4, 1/2, 1, 2, 4) are selectable in Protools for both directions, so you can setup the Transport Shuttle in 6 Zones for forward playback and 6 Zones for rewind playback. My suggestion is not to use Shuttle Zones but Transitions. With Transitions you can setup independent Key Shortcuts for both directions (e.g. Transition 0 to 1 = 1/16 x forward playback speed, Transition 1 to 0 = Stop, Transition 1 to 2 = 1/4 x forward playback speed, Transition 2 to 1 = 1/16 x forward playback speed and so on…)

Give it a try and you will get working setups for simultaneous use of Jog and Shuttle without EUCON command hassle. This should work in every App, that supports Shortcuts for Jog/Shuttle