Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2004, 01:17 AM

Default LTC timecode with/PT LE?

I'm an audio post editor that has recently set-up a home studio(G5, OO2R, DV toolkit,6.2.3). I've been working with QT and have no complaints about that...but every once in a while I'll need to run a tape (S-VHS or 3/4) in tight situations. I have an opcode 64xtc sync box with one problem...the I/O on it is either by modem or printer port both of which aren't available on a G5. no how do I connect it up?. serial to USB adapter perhaps?.
Old 03-16-2004, 07:08 AM

Default Re: LTC timecode with/PT LE?

You can try that adaptor but don't forget that you'll need to feed both timecode to the computer AND word to the 002 to maintain proper sync from tape. I have a similar setup feeding word from a Motu Digital Timepiece down the SPDIF to the 002 and TC thru a Motu MidiTimepiece AV. Everything is fed houseclock from a Horita black burst generator. Peace.
Old 03-16-2004, 08:09 PM

thanks for the reply,

so the G5 will recognize the opcode studio 64xtc unit with the USB adapter?that's cool thanks. As for your advice about the sp/dif and word clock I was a bit confused. The way I've always worked with a tape source (on LE anyway) is by feeding SMPTE and the video signal (for ref)to the box. The smpte would give the adress and the video signal from the deck would determine frame boundries. without the use of a VSD (which I belive doen't work with LE) where would I get the word clock from? I read in the DV toolkit manual about doing pull ups/downs with LE which would need an external clock source to adjust the sample rate acordingly. is this what you mean?

thanks.
Old 03-17-2004, 09:28 AM

Sorry if I seemed like I was sure about the adaptor for your box, I'm not positive. By all accounts it should work but then again...
As for the Word/Spdif thing, if the USB adaptor works and your Opcode box has a video input then you should be fine. I just wasn't sure if the Opcode box was Smpte only and (as you know) Digi forgot the word or video reference connector on the 002. Peace.
Old 03-17-2004, 01:34 PM

Would I need to have a digital timepiece if I already have an mtpav if I were only scoring to picture with a quicktime video with timecode burn? Is the digital timepiece necessary then? I have the dv toolkit as well and it seems to be in synch with the mtpav? Isn't the digital timepiece only for synching outboard gear together like a video deck or da88s etc? And if it is needed do you have to have an outboard remote transport to start and stop protools? or can you simply continue to use the protools transport. When looking thru the setting on the mtpav there seems to be setting for pull up or pull down. And when would you need to use pull up or pull down. I thought it was only when going from film to dv or vice versa.

Thanks

john