Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 01-21-2018, 06:29 AM

Default Re: Segmentation Fault Alert after closing Pro Tools

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajaorr View Post
Hi everyone,

My subscription only goes to Pro Tools 12.5.2.
is this all the information you will give us ??

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 01-21-2018, 09:32 AM

Hi everyone,
Problem fixed!

I restored my computer back when pro tools didn’t have the error through Time Machine and reinstalled all my software. My guess is that I accidentally deleted an important file in the library folder. However, I still don’t know exactly what file I deleted that caused this issue.
Old 02-10-2019, 06:35 PM

I am having the same issue . But what I did was try to edit a live video performance and since then pro tools has that alert come up . I deleted it and restarted a few times but still its there. No issues but damn its annoying and I get the spinning wheel when i put the arrow over it so it has to be eating up memory . Can anyone help a brother out ? Thanks
Old 10-30-2019, 12:56 AM

Hi,

same problem here. might have a solution.

I dont think it matter which MAC hardware u use or if you do a fresh install, because i had the same problem on my:
-late 2012 Mac mini (Pro Tools 11.3.2. - Yosemite through High Sierra) and i still have it on my
-2017 imac 5k (brand new install PT 11.3.2. - Mojave)

When i close Pro Tools, the ''segmentation fault 0x0'' pops up and hangs there.
I can still work with other apps, but i have to restart Pro tools in order to get it working.
The fastest and painless way i found is with ''force quit'' through Activity Monitor. You see the Avid video engine coloured red (not responding).
once you force quit it, the popup disappear and you can restart PT without restarting the OSx.

Hope that helps?

On a side note...

The 11.3.2 is not even officially supported on Mojave but i use it just the same as i did on older version of os. Not the Avid thing, but i wouldn't mind being on sierra with the new iMac if only possible.

''Being up to date'' as one user here suggested, with PT in this times is not as easy as it once were. By easy i mean:
-problem solving and
-free

To be on the ''upgrade wagon'' costs a lot of money for not really have any benefit at this time.
To be more clear - i have the same problem with 11.3.2 as some users on newer version which means that somewhere along the line they paid for the upgrade and not get the issues sorted. In terms of additional benefits i dont see it and i use PT every day.

so why would i care to upgrade? Perhaps i am missing something?
Old 09-30-2021, 10:03 AM

Hi everybody,

It is an issue with the compatibility of Osx (Mojave and later) and the AVID Video Engine that stops responding and hangs the shutdown process.
I solve it by entering the terminal and the activity monitor of my mac.
I locate the AVID VIDEO ENGINE process that does not RESPOND on the activity monitor CPU, and I look at the PID number it has. later I enter the terminal and write kill instruction and with a space the PID number that I found earlier in the activity monitor (be careful that it changes every time we execute protools), press ENTER and the process is closed together with the Alert message.

I hope I have helped ... regards
Attached Images
File Type: jpg error1.jpg (38.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg solution2.jpg (29.6 KB, 0 views)