Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | MTRX & MTRX Studio

Old 05-02-2021, 06:49 PM

Default Re: MTRX Studio with Dante on the secondary Ethernet port on an unmanaged switch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBigler View Post
You're running Dante and AVB on the same network? The two are not supposed to coexist.
Probably simpler to not coexist, particularly for mission critical applications like live or broadcast, but nothing preventing it and a gigabit network can easily handle both. Of course, depends on your channel counts and what else is happening on the network.

I'm just using AVB for CoreAudio (because DVS doesn't work with the 2019 Mac Pro's 10GbE adapter). The endpoint is a MOTU M64 which is connected to the MTRX via MADI.
Old 07-25-2021, 02:01 PM

Default Re: MTRX Studio with Dante on the secondary Ethernet port on an unmanaged switch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBigler View Post
Negative.

On a redundant Dante network, both ports transmit all of the same data, audio and control at the same time. They are two separate networks that work independently. What you've done is create a broadcast storm by connecting the primary network (the one with the DVS devices and the AVIO) to the secondary network. Which is why you can't get Dante Controller to connect to anything.

For Dante networks that run in redundant mode, BOTH the primary and secondary network ports will connect to their own switches (not the same switches). You will need two of the same switches to run redundant.

You can enable the two Dante ports on the MTRX Studio to run in "Daisy-chain mode", which makes them work on the same network, basically, an input port and an output port. You connect the MRTX Studio in-line with the rest of the network devices, without the use of a switch.

You can only Connect DVS devices and AVIO devices to the primary network. And it used to be that you could only connect one DVS device to the Dante network at a time, but I think that's changed in recent years.

Without a network switch, you will have to run in Daisy Chain Mode. I ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS, run in redundant mode with two switches. And you need to use a managed switch also. I recommend the NetGear GS108T or GS108PE if you need PoE. They are about $60. The Cisco SG300-10/350-10 is also highly regarded and an industry standard for managed network switches for use with Dante.
Hello,

I saw this thread and I had a question and you seem like the person that might be able to solve this. I have two MTRX Studios hooked up so I can have 128 channels to the Atmos Renderer. When I start everything up DADMan recognizes both units but what eventually is happening is that within Dante Controller the latency on the second unit keeps building and building and eventually I loose audio signal from that unit. Both units stay synched and green in Dante Controller. Both units stay recognized in ProTools and DADMAn so obviously it's some sort of Dante issue but I don't know what it could be. My setup is below. Maybe you can point out what I might be doing wrong.

Mac Pro 2019
RedNet PCIeR Dante card in 16x PCIe lane
HDX1 in 16x PCIe lane
HDX2 in 8x PCIe lane
MTRX studio 1 Diglink into HDX1 ports 1 and 2
MTRX Studio 2 Diglink into HDX2 ports 1 and 2
MTRX Studio 1 Dante bottom port #1 into dedicated Dante Cisco SG350 switch
MTRX Studio 2 Dante bottom port #1 into dedicated Dante Cisco SG350 switch
RedNet PCIeR Primary port plugged into dedicated Dante Cisco SG350 switch
MTRX Studio 1 in DADMan is set to Preferred Master
MTRX Studio 2 in DADMan is set to "No" under Preferred Master
In the Dante Controller "Clock Status" menu I've included a picture. Possibly something set wrong in here?

Synch is good for all units but like I said, the latency on The MTRX Studio 2 keeps building and building. I have all peripherals set to 1ms and that is fine for the REDNet card and MTRX 1 but for some reason MTRX 2 just keeps building.

So I'm stuck for the moment. Maybe you can help. Thank you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dante_Controller_Clock_Status.jpg (14.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-25-2021, 03:03 PM

Also, both MTRX units are set to "Switched" and are hooked up with Cat6, exact same length.
Old 07-25-2021, 03:23 PM

And just to throw one more issue in there. I always have to go into DADMan and "connect" the second unit. It doesn't automatically connect each time. Is this an IP issue?
Old 07-25-2021, 07:17 PM

Both MTRX Studios are set to External Clock (i.e. not to clock from Dante), which is totally fine, but have you connected Loop Sync or WC connections between them? Do you have MTRXStudio set to "internal" in DADman and MTRXStudio2 set to "word clock"? (I'm not exactly sure how DADman handles Loop Sync - the manual is not clear - so I would probably just use the WC connection unless someone from Avid can explain otherwise.)

PS. If you have AES67 enabled on MTRXStudio2, I would disable it. (Mentioning because PTPv2 should be N/A for an all-Dante environment.)
Old 07-26-2021, 05:19 AM
Avid

A few recommendations.

Make sure you've explicitly saved your .dms file after enabling and connecting to both MTRX Studio devices. You should be able to launch DADman and have it restore all of the settings for multiple MTRX devices. I do this every day and have either 2 (MTRX + MTRX ST) or sometimes 3 (MTRX + 2x MTRX ST) devices restored.

I would not rely on self assigned IP addresses on the Mac using DHCP. Either set static IP's or better - add a router / DHCP server to provide addresses for everyone on your network.

For clocking - depending on the location of the multiple MTRX units - you can either use a central word DA fed to both, chain word from A -> B or set B to IP Audio which provides PTP clock from A which is presumably the Leader Clock.

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 07-26-2021, 11:02 AM

Thanks for checking in Jeff.
I'll save both files for MTRX.
I can probably add another router and self assign.
As far as clocking goes both units are right next to each other and I'm using them together. I thought they just clocked via Dante or am I wrong. Is that just for one unit? What would be the exact setup to synch them together? When you say "set the B to IP Audio which provides PTP clock from A(which is the leader clock) where do I do this? In Dante Controller? Do I need to have them word clocked together (because I don't)? I'm including two pictures for ref. thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2021-07-26 at 11.01.59 AM.jpg (16.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2021-07-26 at 11.01.12 AM.jpg (16.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-26-2021, 11:24 AM
Avid

Yeah, that's not going to work. They are both locking individually to their internal crystals. No good. Send Word from A -> B and set B to lock to Word Clock for example. Then they will both have the same sample reference.

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 07-26-2021, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goombot View Post
Thanks for checking in Jeff.
I'll save both files for MTRX.
I can probably add another router and self assign.
As far as clocking goes both units are right next to each other and I'm using them together. I thought they just clocked via Dante or am I wrong. Is that just for one unit? What would be the exact setup to synch them together? When you say "set the B to IP Audio which provides PTP clock from A(which is the leader clock) where do I do this? In Dante Controller? Do I need to have them word clocked together (because I don't)? I'm including two pictures for ref. thanks
Set Sync Source in DADman on the second MTRX Studio to IP (or Dante, can't remember the exact term). That way the second MTRX Studio will sync to the first (Leader).
Old 07-26-2021, 11:25 AM

Of course. I'll let you know. thanks