Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2021, 05:43 PM

Default Re: New to PT v2020. A discussion of Aux's vs Routing Folders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdgarRothermich View Post
In order to evaluate the pros and cons of Aux Input Tracks vs. Routing Folder Tracks, you have to determine what the general purpose of those Tracks will be in your Session. That ill be the deciding factor.

Here is the short answer:
  • Routing Folder Tracks have great advantages over Aux Input Tracks when you are using them to create Audio SubGroups (Aux Groups).
  • Routing Folder Tracks are not that useful for the purpose of Aux Returns when you want to leave the individual Tracks that send to the Aux Return (via Aux Sends) at their original location in your Session.

Major advantages of Routing Folder Tracks when using them for Audio SubGroups:
  • All the Member Tracks are nicely organized "inside" a folder structure that you can collapse/expand, which comes in handy with Sessions that have a high Track count.
  • Routing Folder Tracks can also be nested which comes in handy when you have complex Sessions with nested Stems (Music > Orchestra > Strings . Violins).
  • If the Routing Folder Track is solo-saved, then all its Member Tracks are automatically solo-saved!

I have a free 60page book about the four types of Groups in Pro Tools (including the Folder Tracks). It is an excerpt from my new Pro Tools. THe download link is available on the products page
http://dingdingmusic.com/-titles-/pr...-it-works.html
Just click on the "Download free Sample pdf" button

BTW, If you only want to organize your Tracks (so you can collapse/expand), then I would advise against Routing Folder Tracks. Basic Folder Tracks are much better, eliminating the additional complexity of signal routing Paths.
Wow! Thank your the in depth detail! I really appreciate it! I will have to check out that PDF!
Old 01-27-2021, 05:47 PM

I guess my next question is, how are you guys finding VCA tracks now that Routing Folders are available? I always liked hitting solo on one button to hear a specific group. It seems Routing Folders work even better since you can not only use inserts, but automate them and use them to print stems! Thoughts on VCA's?
Old 01-27-2021, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thenewexhibit View Post
I guess my next question is, how are you guys finding VCA tracks now that Routing Folders are available? I always liked hitting solo on one button to hear a specific group. It seems Routing Folders work even better since you can not only use inserts, but automate them and use them to print stems! Thoughts on VCA's?
There's no equivalency between folders tracks and VCA tracks.

Thenewexhibit:
Your response showed up in an email notification for a completely different thread (about ssd's) than this one. I don't know what the hell is going on. Not even trying to figure it out.

QAPLA!
Old 01-27-2021, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontLetMeDrown View Post
In my workflow, aux tracks are pretty much obsolete now that I can do all the same functions with a routing folder. Also, the routing folder gets rid of the annoying soloing problem unique to Pro Tools that requires setting the aux to "solo safe" in order to hear it when you solo the tracks routed to it.
Are you sure?
For example, assume you use an Aux Track as an FX Returns, most likely placed on the far right and, for example, have a reverb on that FX Return that you use for the snare, guitar, and some synths, using the Aux Sends on those Tracks.
Replacing the Aux Input Track with a Routing Folder Track doesn't help your organization of the Tracks because you wouldn't move those individual Tracks (snare, guitar, synths) next to the Aux Return in your mixer layout.
Or am I missing something?
http://DingDingMusic.com/
YouTube Channel Music Tech Explained https://YouTube.com/c/MusicTechExplained/
Old 01-27-2021, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
There's no equivalency between folders tracks and VCA tracks.

Thenewexhibit:
Your response showed up in an email notification for a completely different thread (about ssd's) than this one. I don't know what the hell is going on. Not even trying to figure it out.
My bad, dude! I have a couple of tabs open with different questions, and I mistakenly replied to the wrong thread. When I realized it, I deleted as fast as I could and then responded to the correct one. My bad!
Old 01-27-2021, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Are you sure?
For example, assume you use an Aux Track as an FX Returns, most likely placed on the far right and, for example, have a reverb on that FX Return that you use for the snare, guitar, and some synths, using the Aux Sends on those Tracks.
Replacing the Aux Input Track with a Routing Folder Track doesn't help your organization of the Tracks because you wouldn't move those individual Tracks (snare, guitar, synths) next to the Aux Return in your mixer layout.
As computers became more powerful, it has become rare for me to share FX between different sources. My current system is already a bit old and it still has plenty of DSP to give every source its own FX.
Old 01-28-2021, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danyg View Post
+1 idem
+2

B Rig: (Home/Office). M1 Mac Studio - 64gb ram - OSX 12.7.1, PT Ultimate2023.6, HD Native Thunderbolt, Omni, Avid Artist Control

http://www.lostboysstudio.com
Old 01-28-2021, 05:53 PM

Another note about the Aux Input Tracks and Solo Safe.

The advantage of having all Tracks that send three signals into the Routing Folder Track (Aux Send or Aux SubGroup) is that you can solo the Routing Folder Track and all the Member Tracks inside are automatically solo-saved. With a regular Aux Input Track that is not possible in Pro Tools.

Logic Pro has that special "reverse lookup" for Aux Tracks automatically built-in. So, whenever you solo an Aux Track, it looks what Tracks are feeding into that Aux Track and automatically solo-saves them. That comes in really handy if you want to listen to the Aux return to hear what's "going in". That is one of the features I always miss in Pro Tools.
http://DingDingMusic.com/
YouTube Channel Music Tech Explained https://YouTube.com/c/MusicTechExplained/
Old 01-31-2021, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Are you sure?
As you noted it all depends so much, on how any individual is actually organizing and using .

Your example above is basically how I do it. Because my most used reverb is an outboard Bricasti M7 and I send to it from different groups, It is always on it's own Aux Return track. Where as the different groups are now always placed in Routing Folders, which I use even though I seldom go over 20 tracks

Recent session here you can see both the M7 and Tape Echo Aux return tracks are placed just to left of the 2 Mix track
The acoustic guitar rhythm tracks, and acoustic guitar lead tracks and the vocal track are placed in Routing Folder tracks
Both the M7 and in this session the Tape Echo are being used as FX returns and on Aux tracks

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...