Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > ICON & C|24

Old 06-21-2017, 07:27 AM

Default C24 No audio I/O

(Originally posted here http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?p...80#post2430080 and edited for a new thread)

Hi, we've been having a problem with a c24.

A little background:- We bought a c24 A few years ago, second hand in preparation for a studio we were building. The guy we bought it from didn't know what he had so couldn't say whether it worked fully, and didn't have any equipment to check it. We popped up there to find it in near mint condition and vegas mode did exactly what it should do. When a year or so later we had the equipment to test it this is what we found...

Absolutely no audio in or out but still have complete control over pro tools, i.e play/record functions work, V.U's jumping when an old session is loaded and all buttons function as intended, just no audio.

This leaves us to believe the audio chain is broken.

We've tried contacting a couple of avid accredited service centers here in the UK only to be told to put it on a pallet and send it to them. No help as to what could be causing the problem or any reply other than send it to us. We have an electrical engineer more than capable of replacing most parts if we could just source the parts. We are a small independent studio with not a lot of cash so palleting up and sending it away is not really an option.

Any help with this would be much appreciated as at the moment it's just an expensive mouse.
Old 09-05-2017, 11:09 PM

Default Re: C24 No audio I/O

I had the same problem and took it to a shop where they said my monitor section was busted, it requires replacing the monitor i/o board. It's a $1,000 fix.

Nathan
Old 09-05-2017, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbey Music View Post
(Originally posted here http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?p...80#post2430080 and edited for a new thread)

Hi, we've been having a problem with a c24.

A little background:- We bought a c24 A few years ago, second hand in preparation for a studio we were building. The guy we bought it from didn't know what he had so couldn't say whether it worked fully, and didn't have any equipment to check it. We popped up there to find it in near mint condition and vegas mode did exactly what it should do. When a year or so later we had the equipment to test it this is what we found...

Absolutely no audio in or out but still have complete control over pro tools, i.e play/record functions work, V.U's jumping when an old session is loaded and all buttons function as intended, just no audio.

This leaves us to believe the audio chain is broken.

We've tried contacting a couple of avid accredited service centers here in the UK only to be told to put it on a pallet and send it to them. No help as to what could be causing the problem or any reply other than send it to us. We have an electrical engineer more than capable of replacing most parts if we could just source the parts. We are a small independent studio with not a lot of cash so palleting up and sending it away is not really an option.

Any help with this would be much appreciated as at the moment it's just an expensive mouse.
It's a box with quite discrete functioning parts; preamps, control surface and monitoring and none of those have any real connection to each other. It's not clear at all from your description what is not working. It may well be the monitor section, but we don't even know if you are correctly feeding the monitoring section--is it even wired up to your interface outputs properly? Seeing meter levels on the control surface just tells you Pro Tools internally is getting signal, it has *nothing* to do with actually having a connection to get audio out of the monitor section.

And the C|24 monitor section is just not that great, many folks wanting to use a C|24 would skip using it all together. Do you even need it? For what? Why not use an external monitor controller? You have options for that that may be cheaper than repairing the one you have, if that is faulty. Ditto for the preamps, just not that great, I'd find something better to use.

If you want to use the onboard monitor section...start by basic troubleshooting to see if it is working or not. All you need to do that is right in front of you. Are things on the C|24 lighting up as expected? If so get a line-level test tone (from Signal Generator plugin in Pro Tools) on an input connector into your C|24 submixer section and work out if you can hear that at all out the submix out, do the same with the monitor section. Are the monitor output meters moving on the C|24 (not the track meters. I have no idea what you mean exactly by a "V.U.")? Confirm separately that the monitors and cables are working. Mess around with that trying different mixer inputs.

A competent repair person should be able to do all the above checking as well as open up the unit and do basic internal checking of power supplies etc. And if you have somebody on staff then how to troubelshoot all this starting with the stuff mentioned above should be kinda obvious once they look at the signal flow involved. They should start with the C|24 user guide.

Again, I'd just not bother if the problem is the monitor section and go buy an outboard monitor controller (tell folks here what monitoring options you need and we can suggest options).

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 09-05-2017 at 11:59 PM.
Old 09-06-2017, 08:31 AM

what interface are you running to get audio in/out of Pro Tools?

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave