Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > Employment
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-31-2012, 01:24 AM

Default Univeristies and Jobs

I know companies care about experience, I have a little bit of experience. However I am concerned as to weather post audio companies care about "which" university one attends or does it not really matter. This problem arises from myself being in Alaska trying to finish film school doing production sound mixing for job work. I am really wanting to get into re-recording mixing or sound design or both. I have one year left at the current university or go to one in California causing me to go to school for two more years. Is it worth it to have a better chance for a stronger career. How much do audio companies care about which university.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:28 AM

Default Re: Univeristies and Jobs

depends, they will want you to know everything / do everything
but they won't want to pay you anything

depends on were you want to work, most places will keep going back to the same school the last prospect came from as long as the the last one didn't suck

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 01-01-2013, 07:13 AM

Default Re: Univeristies and Jobs

Unless you find a very rare opportunity, you will eventually need to end up in LA if you are serious about working on films, so for that reason alone I would say go to the school in california.

On the other hand, keep in mind you're not going to be making much(if any) money while you're in school, and you're going to make very little money for the first few years of your career(again, unless you find a very rare opportunity). So in the interest of keeping your debt low it might be better to stay in the school you're at until graduation to keep your housing costs down. (cost of living is extremely high in CA, especially in LA).

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?