Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | Carbon

Old 04-15-2021, 10:34 AM

Default Re: *not* use the headphone outputs on the Carbon, and use my MacBookPro instead?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixerGuy View Post

with a Carbon, can there also be an audio output from my MacBookPro headphone out?

thanks.

Just ran a test with my iMac 1/8 head phone out and Carbon, and given the specific amount of detail on actual workflow use you intend , supplied with your question
The answer is yes there can be audio output from MB P headphone out,,,,, BUT,,,,, depends on intended actual use .....

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 04-15-2021, 10:47 AM

Default Re: *not* use the headphone outputs on the Carbon, and use my MacBookPro instead?

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Roche View Post
Just ran a test with my iMac 1/8 head phone out and Carbon, and given the specific amount of detail on actual workflow use you intend , supplied with your question
The answer is yes there can be audio output from MB P headphone out,,,,, BUT,,,,, depends on intended actual use .....
super cool - much appreciated.

so internally to the Mac (software) how did you do it?

and my actual use is just monitoring the stereo mix.
Old 04-15-2021, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixerGuy View Post
super cool - much appreciated.

so internally to the Mac (software) how did you do it?

and my actual use is just monitoring the stereo mix.

Then yes follow these steps (But understand I misspoke even though still connected to the computer via the AVB Ethernet connection the set up below PT is not running on Carbon) it will be running on the Mac sound card/converters so there will be no DSP,,,, everything will be Native only.... However for going back to recording audio you can just reverse the procedure below and be back to PT on Carbon in a few simple steps

#1 plug in HP's to computer HP outs
#2 Turn on Carbon and boot computer
# 3 Mac "System Preferences" > Sound > Output > select Head Phones
#4 Applications > Utilities > Audio Midi Setup > Output > select Head Phones

#5 hold down (N) key while launching Pro Tools it will begin launch, then open the PT Playback Engine window, select computer Head Phones

It will finish launching PT and another window will open saying "Some Inputs are missing " (meaning Carbons inputs) just click "No" on report and PT will then be available .

If you did everything correctly The I/O matrix will show no Inputs and only the HP 1&2 Outputs
And all your Carbon inputs will show "Inactive" on your session channel strips as well , so you can't record any additional Audio into the session,,,, but you can record midi and mix all you want

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...

Last edited by K Roche; 04-15-2021 at 12:22 PM.
Old 04-15-2021, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Roche View Post
Then yes follow these steps (But understand I misspoke even though still connected to the computer via the AVB Ethernet connection the set up below PT is not running on Carbon) it will be running on the Mac sound card/converters so there will be no DSP,,,, everything will be Native only.... However for going back to recording audio you can just reverse the procedure below and be back to PT on Carbon in a few simple steps

#1 plug in HP's to computer HP outs
#2 Turn on Carbon and boot computer
# 3 Mac "System Preferences" > Sound > Output > select Head Phones
#4 Applications > Utilities > Audio Midi Setup > Output > select Head Phones

#5 hold down (N) key while launching Pro Tools it will begin launch, then open the PT Playback Engine window, select computer Head Phones

It will finish launching PT and another window will open saying "Some Inputs are missing " (meaning Carbons inputs) just click "No" on report and PT will then be available .

If you did everything correctly The I/O matrix will show no Inputs and only the HP 1&2 Outputs
And all your Carbon inputs will show "Inactive" on your session channel strips as well , so you can't record any additional Audio into the session,,,, but you can record midi and mix all you want
thanks for outlining this. much appreciated

so unfortunately it looks as if I cant run DSP and record into Carbon and use Carbon as well as use headphones out of MacBookPro - (with Carbon 20+ feet away).... small bummer.

good to know.

Old 04-16-2021, 05:31 AM

If it's about being able to adjust headphone volume right next to you, probably the best solution is to use a separate headphone amp (line out from the Carbon into the headphone amp).

This one is excellent. Ignore the fact that it's multiple headphones out. Even just using one pair, it's worth the price:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...hone-amplifier
Old 04-16-2021, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
If it's about being able to adjust headphone volume right next to you, probably the best solution is to use a separate headphone amp (line out from the Carbon into the headphone amp).

This one is excellent. Ignore the fact that it's multiple headphones out. Even just using one pair, it's worth the price:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...hone-amplifier
thanks!