Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 12-08-1999, 10:55 AM

Default Optimun system at the least cost

I have been reading this post for the last couple of weeks and thought that I would wait around for the PC version but have started to rethink that position.

I don't know much about Macs and was wondering if someone could tell me what system they would recommend and approximate cost. I want to be able to record and mix on 24 channels so include the amount of RAM required.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-08-1999, 01:02 PM

Default Re: Optimun system at the least cost

i do not personally have this setup, but thru the demos and what i have seen here, this should work:

g4 400mhz ($2499) plus monitor

256mb ram (changes often, but approx $500)

*separate SCSI hard drive would always be a big plus, but a lot of people are telling me the ATA's in these new g4's (20 gigs in this model, partitioned for audio) do ok by themselves. For an external SCSI hard drive, you would need a SCSI pci card for the MAC as well (to connect the drive via SCSI!)

this would give you a pretty smokin system to start with the 001. I have seen it used with this exact configuration, and very little crashing. You of course arelimited to the number of plugins you can use by your ram.