Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Virtual Instruments
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-29-2008, 07:06 AM

Default Battery 3: How to set multichannel audio outputs ? (Mpowered

hi folks
need some help here...

i´m a new user (who came from cubase sx) and need to use battery 3 with multiple outs to mix my drums... but i´m experiencing difficulties on finding out how it works in pro tools mpowered 7.4

i allready have an instrument track opened in my session with battery 3 running... In battery, when all my cells are mapped to MASTER out, i can hear everything ok.

I just added one more audio track, set the INPUT to PLUG IN/BATTERY 3.../ST 3/4 and also set my kicks, for example to Stereo 3/4 Out into battery...

Following my logic... i was supposed to be hearing the cells i´d mapped to this audio track playing but notthing happens... I hear the master out of battery playing at the instrument track without the kicks and the extra audio track i´d added (stereo 3/4) muted...

tks in advance for the help
Old 02-29-2008, 11:57 AM

Default Re: Battery 3: How to set multichannel audio outputs ? (Mpowered

For multi-out VIs I typically use AUXs to set up the instruments and its outputs. It's the old fashion way of setting up Vis in PT, but I find it works better for me with multi-out VIs. For instance, with Battery I have 4 stereo pairs available. You can setup PT to something like this:

1 - Go to Mixer View and create 4 stereo AUX tracks.

2 - On the first AUX track insert Battery and assign Battery's first stereo ouput as the first AUXes input. afterwards, for the remaining AUX tracks, select the corresponding Battery outputs into the inputs of the AUX tracks.

3 - Create a MIDI track (or more if you like) and select Battery as the MIDI tracks output.

You should be able to hear and control the multiple output of Battery or any multi-out synth in both the instrument and PT now.

- KB
Old 07-27-2008, 05:50 PM

Default hmmm...

Is this the way most people do this - with aux tracks? I'm attempting to do the same thing now but I figured I could just create audio tracks to monitor for now(record enabled), and then eventually record onto. By creating AUX tracks for each of Battery's outputs, wouldn't that make an extra step since you'd eventually have to make corresponding audio tracks anyway?

I'm new at all this VI routing and stuff myself and am figuring it out as I go along. Am I missing some kind of unforeseen benefits by not using AUX tracks?

I'm about to track audio for the first time with Battery 3, and assuming all goes well, will create a template for working with Battery in the future to make life easier. Right now I have my 1 Inst track with Battery, all midi tracks routed to Battery (One track per cell/midi note), and a corresponding audio track for each midi track, to eventually record to and mix with. Could somebody explain the benefits of using AUX tracks in addition to what I have going already? Any input / recommendations are greatly appreciated - Thanks in advance.

Last edited by djecity; 07-27-2008 at 05:54 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 07-29-2008, 10:44 AM

If you're going to record straight to audio then using audio tracks is OK. However I always just leave the drums as MIDI, and use aux tracks with battery. And why are you using a seperate MIDI track for each hit? Surely a single instrument track would be a lot neater in Pro Tools? Thats how I work anyway.

Old 07-30-2008, 05:03 AM

here is how I do it :)

1. Create Instrument track with battery
2. Load or create your drumset
3. Record all the midi u want in one track
4. Select the region u created the drums
5. Alt + Y
6. Pitch criteria - All notes
7. Action - Split notes / Cut / a new track per pitch
8. Apply
9. select all instruments track to send midi to battery and create inputs from battery
on new created instrument tracks
10. go to battery and assign outputs to drumsounds to play on instrument track that play its midi note

in this way u will have more flexibility in creating a arrangement

hope this helps