Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2006, 05:05 PM

Default opinion on Sony Oxford plugins

I am currently building my new DAW machine for Protools 7.0 LE
I do not want to get lured into the "Waves" WUP deal, so I was looking for a good all around solution that would take care of all my needs.

After nights of research, I stumbled upon the Sony Oxford 6 Pack
http://www.audiomidi.com/Oxford-6-Pa...LE--P7583.aspx
(and the lowest price I found...)

With not a lot of feedback on this pack, I feel that for the price-per-plugin, it seems like a great deal. It would handle my eq, compression and reverb needs and then on the mastering side, I could use the limiter.

If I were to go WAVES on anything, it would probably be the Musicians II bundle (Ren EQ, Comp, Vox, Channel, doubler) for $150..This would be good for another "flavor" of eq, but would really not help in the mastering/reverb department. (Plus, it seems like people really like the renComp, but seems that the renEQ gets a lower grade compared to the Sony Oxford)

Just trying to get the best bang for my buck and hoping to get anybody's thoughts...
good idea?
bad idea?
I could do better with "fill-in-the-blank"??

Thanks for your time!
Keith
Old 02-22-2006, 06:26 PM

Default Re: opinion on Sony Oxford plugins

The Oxfords are incredible! The only real way to find out if they're for you is to (drum roll please): ta-dah, download the demo! To me, they're worth every penny, but you may not like them. As they say, "That's why ice cream comes in 32 flavors". Lol! But nah, seriously, I think the overall opinion is that they're really solid plug-ins, that are more "straight forward". Meaning, they're not going to add much "color" to your tracks. But again, check out the demo. Fifteen days, iLok required.

Keep in mind that the word is that the've also begun their own yearly upgrade (@ around $18 per plug-in, IIRC).
Peace
Old 02-22-2006, 08:11 PM

Thanks for your input...unfortunately, I am waiting on an iLok or I would have downloaded them already!

I was just trying to get the concensus on if they "add up" to the Waves (especially on the limiting side). My reasonable side says to wait and listen to the demos...the "devil" in me says BUY NOW!!!

Thanks again and anybody else, feel free to comment.

Keith
Old 02-22-2006, 11:04 PM

Gotta agree with the alien on the Sony plugs. I did the demo and they smoke! The reverb eats CPU for dinner though, but the rest are pretty conservative and they all sound great!
Old 02-22-2006, 11:04 PM

Sorry, dupe post for some reason....
Old 02-23-2006, 12:46 AM

I would check these out before you buy. The Sony-plugins are VERY proffessional plugins, I have just descovered that I don't tend to use them when I have other options since they are very clean and colourless (but that is just my taste). I have always had rapid response from the Sony costumer-service (+). They have started to charge for the upgrades to PT 7 (-) - mini-WUP.

McDsp
VI: Reason 8, Ivory It., Trilian|Omnisphere, VG2/RealGuitar, Kontakt6|GPO, Goliath|Gypsy|Fab Four, Candy, Structure, EZdrum, BIAB Audiophile
Hardware: TLM49|TLM103, SPL Track One, TC M-One, Artist Contr.v2|Transp|3xMix
Old 02-23-2006, 04:48 AM

Thanks for the input guys,

As far as the verb being a CPU hungry beast...that's actually ok, knowing that in May, I will pick up the toolkit that has the TLSpace verb...

and I am also a big fan of McDsp (own Filterbank, and Analog Channel)....so Compressorbank would be my logical next step there...but would still need verb and mastering plugins (Revolver is mac only)

I hear a lot of people mainly use the compressor found in the compressorbank LE package, so I just may pick that up down the road...always have the upgrade option, if I feel I need the full package.

Thanks again!
Keith
Old 02-23-2006, 07:21 AM

Default Sony Oxford plugins Price Drop

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SOxBoxLE

Price Drop?
Old 02-23-2006, 03:27 PM

Default Re: Sony Oxford plugins Price Drop

That is a different package...the 6 pack contains six plugins...
if that was the 6 pack price, I would have jumped on it... dag!
Old 02-23-2006, 03:37 PM

Quote:
As far as the verb being a CPU hungry beast...that's actually ok, knowing that in May, I will pick up the toolkit that has the TLSpace verb...
When it comes to reverbs - always consider runnning a hardware reverb via spdif as a send/return...
VI: Reason 8, Ivory It., Trilian|Omnisphere, VG2/RealGuitar, Kontakt6|GPO, Goliath|Gypsy|Fab Four, Candy, Structure, EZdrum, BIAB Audiophile
Hardware: TLM49|TLM103, SPL Track One, TC M-One, Artist Contr.v2|Transp|3xMix