Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2018, 03:45 PM

Default Re: QT Video Playback Delay, Seriously?

I totally agree with you Dick.
The faster the machine you have the better it is, but I suppose I've got used to the delay.

I think if I went back to PT10 I may cry, because it was so much snappier.
Something went badly wrong with the whole Pro Tools video engine.

The unbelievable thing is this is Avid, who make Media Composer.....
Don't the developers talk to each other?
Old 12-30-2018, 12:01 PM

Post Re: QT Video Playback Delay, Seriously?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesehead View Post
I totally agree with you Dick.
The faster the machine you have the better it is, but I suppose I've got used to the delay.

I think if I went back to PT10 I may cry, because it was so much snappier.
Something went badly wrong with the whole Pro Tools video engine.

The unbelievable thing is this is Avid, who make Media Composer.....
Don't the developers talk to each other?
macOS Mojave 10.14 Release Notes

"…deprecated 32-bit QuickTime framework which remains present in macOS Mojave for compatibility purposes. When future versions of macOS no longer support 32-bit processes, these APIs will become unavailable."

macOS Mojave will officially be the last release to support 32-bit apps

High Sierra (macOS v10.13) is the last version of macOS to support 32-bit apps without compromise.

Every developer whose code relied upon the 32-bit QuickTime APIs, frameworks, etc. (Avid, Adobe, etc.) knew that this day was coming. It was one, if not the primary, reason for Avid separating video playback from the Pro Tools application and using the Avid Video Engine.

Yes, the developers talk to each other. Unfortunately, the Avid Video Engine is not conceptually equivalent to a single piece of a puzzle that the developers can simply drop into Pro Tools and have it work. There is other code within Pro Tools that needs to be maintained in order to work with the Avid Video Engine. This is why the version of the Avid Video Engine that is included with Pro Tools has lagged behind the version that is used with Media Composer.