Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Digidesign Hardware & Software

Old 11-09-2000, 01:10 PM

Default Won\'t Bounce to Disk - too many plug-ins!

I just started using the ProToolsFree and keep getting bounced out of "bounce to Disk". It keeps telling me it is running out of CPU power and that I should reduce some of my plug-ins. I'm currently using VocAlign to do dialog replacement for a video.
I've readjusted the DAE buffer to all combinations of settings. No luck.

I've boosted the RAM allocation to both the DAE (60M) and ProTools (300M). I've also readjusted the CPU Usage Limit. (60% to 85%).

I'm running a 9500 with a G3 266Mhz card and OS 8.6.

The older Free ProTools works quite nicely.

Help.

Ron Frank

Old 11-11-2000, 07:47 PM

Default Re: Won\'t Bounce to Disk - too many plug-ins!

Ron, I would think 266mhz would be enough but you never know. I have a 7300 with an Xlr8 G3 300 oc'd to 400 and only 112mb ram so i have DAE/PT using about 30/35 respectively I'm going to work on a session tonight using a lot of the digi plugs and try to do a bounce I'll post back tonight.

Bill
Cleveland, OH
Old 11-12-2000, 04:23 AM

Hi Ron, I did a test and here is what I had.
I was using about 8 plug ins all the Digi supplied and the fact they take advantage of the DSP manager may have something to do with the cpu usage at about half. Compressor & 4 band Eq on two voice tracks, 2 sends each voice track to 2 returns using delays, 1band eq, compressor Limiter on master fader. Had audio on 4 audio tracks sent to two sub mixers.
It was a 15 second piece and bounced to disk nicely. I rechecked my settings and have 35mb allocated to DAE, 30mb to PT. CPU usage is set to 75%

I think your cpu may have something to do with it. Can you overclock it or do you want to? The 266 has been reported to go into the low 300's, 313 is best stable setting I have seen. Also have you verified that the Vocalalign is the most recent version? That is about all I can think of.

Bill
Cleveland, OH
Old 11-13-2000, 05:22 PM

It is weird that it gave you the Plug-in error considering that Vocalign is not an RTAS plugin. But, I was just looking on the Vocalign website and it said it was not compatible with Protools free.
Old 11-13-2000, 05:30 PM

Jeez, I am sorry actually on the Vocalign site all you have to do is get an update file and it should work.
Old 11-15-2000, 01:25 PM

I went over to the VocAlign web site and there is a patch but it is for VocAlignPro. I've got VocAlignAS v1.0.

What I don't understand is that when I try to bounce to disk a file that's already been processed with an Audio Suite Plug-in, I'm getting the "too many plug-ins" message. All I'm trying to do is write an existing file to an AIFF or SD file.

Is a 9500 with a G3-266 processor (and OS 9.0.4) that antiquated?

Ron Frank
Old 11-18-2000, 05:39 PM

Hey Guys,

I am having the same problem. Just trying to bounce two tracks to disk so I can have an interleaved aiff stereo file.
I get the same message as reported above. Then, just for grins, I try to bounce again and it says that my processor speed isn't is adequate.
Crazy. I am using a B&W G3, 400mghz, with SCSI drive. It can't be because my computer isn't fast enough. However, I only have 128 megs of RAM.
Has anyone had a solution yet? I would love to be able to bounce a mix session down. I'd hate to have to reuse something like SoundEdit Pro again for this...

rob.

aka deepsmile.
Old 11-18-2000, 05:55 PM
Administrator

deepsmile,

Check your system against the "Pro Tools (Mac) FAQ #1. What are the optimum settings for Pro Tools on a Mac?"
http://www.digidesign.com/support/faq/ptmac.html

Pay special attention to the Memory Control Panel/Disk Cache settings. A high disk cache setting has been known to cause problems with Bounce to Disk.

Ignore the Digidesign extensions in the list of guidelines that are not installed by Pro Tools FREE that might only apply to LE or TDM systems.

------------------
Bruce Paine
Digidesign
Old 11-18-2000, 06:58 PM

Thanks Bruce.

I actually modified the DAE Settings down to "0" and it appears to have solved the problem. I checked further down the postings where this was recommended and it appears to have worked.
If I run into further problems then I will check into the memory settings via your recommendation next.

Thanks!

rob.