Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 11-29-2006, 01:09 PM

Default Want a good basic filter for vocals or whatever

I was looking at this plug-in because I want a filter that is RTAS format for Pro-Tools. It looks pretty good. Its only $199. I was wondering if anybody has any ideas on an affordable filter that is RTAS format. I don't have the wrapper so VST is not really what I'm looking for at the moment. I just want good basic solid filtering (and more) I can use in Pro-Tools.
Ok. Thanks .

DJ

http://www.antarestech.com/products/filter.shtml
Old 11-30-2006, 12:40 AM

Default Re: Want a good basic filter for vocals or whateve

That's a very sophisticated and cosmetic plug-in with crazy routing options, intended for making very unnatural effects, much like an analog synthesizer's effects but with raw audio as the tone generator. I'm not sure what aspects you're looking to find in another plug-in. Is there another one exactly like it? I doubt it. Are there others that have similar aspects? Yes, lots.

And the term "filter" is vague and does not refer to this sort of plug-in specifically. I find it odd that Antares would give such a complex effect a name that doesn't reflect how complex it is. It's like calling a computer a calculator. True, but simplistic.

Somewhere on Digidesign's site is a comprehensive list of all RTAS plug-ins, try window shopping for something similar.
Old 12-01-2006, 03:08 PM

Quote:
That's a very sophisticated and cosmetic plug-in with crazy routing options, intended for making very unnatural effects, much like an analog synthesizer's effects but with raw audio as the tone generator. I'm not sure what aspects you're looking to find in another plug-in. Is there another one exactly like it? I doubt it. Are there others that have similar aspects? Yes, lots.

And the term "filter" is vague and does not refer to this sort of plug-in specifically. I find it odd that Antares would give such a complex effect a name that doesn't reflect how complex it is. It's like calling a computer a calculator. True, but simplistic.

Somewhere on Digidesign's site is a comprehensive list of all RTAS plug-ins, try window shopping for something similar.
Intersting points. I have downloaded it and its free for a 10 day trial and its about $160 at Sam Ash .com . I'm checkin it out. I'm lookin for alot of bang for the buck as I'm on a tight budget.

I do see that it has a learning curve for sure for a guy (myself) that has very little experience with filtering at this point. It has delay effects that are crazy and you can do midi controlled routing stuff with it as well. The simple filtering aspect I was looking for was like muffled (high pass?) bass that filters up to normal and then progresses into a high frequency (low pass?) bass sound. I guess what I want is a filter that first and foremost effects the whole audio signal by being able to get rid of different frequencies to create high frequencies ONLY or low frequencies ONLY or mid frequencies ONLY as desired. Messing with it so far I have only been able to figure out how to create a cool delay effect but the original sound seems to still be there so far. It seems that there is a "bandwidth" option that might do what I want? I have a feeling I'm gonna need the whole 10 days to undestand this plug-in . It seems to have alot of bang for the buck though if it in fact does this basic filtering I want. Thanks for the input . Oh...by the way... its been real decent on my CPU which happens to be a 1.7 Pentium 4 . I'm also still working with the Digi 001 6.4 if that mattars at all.

DJ
Old 12-01-2006, 03:39 PM

It seems to have a lot more than what you need. In fact, the EQ's included with Protools 7 offer what you want. You can set the first band to low shelf or high-pass to filter out lows, and the last band can be set to high shelf or low-pass to filter out highs. It actually sounds pretty decent as EQ plug-ins go, but I recommend you avoid boosting treble with any EQ plug, they tend to be rather trashy, and I don't expect that Antares Filter actually has smooth sounding filters compared to Sony Oxford, Waves Linear Phase, and T-Racks EQ, for example.
Old 12-02-2006, 02:27 AM

Filter is (I guess) a pretty cool plugin, but it's HARDLY a "basic filter for vocals or whatever."

Matter of fact, it's not what I would call a vocal effect at all.

Matter of fact, come to think of it, aside from an initial "neat-o!" factor when I first got it, I haven't found much use for it at all. I haven't touched it in about a year.
Old 12-02-2006, 11:49 AM

Yes. I think I may be leaning to your opinion on this plug-in after working with it for awhile. It does alot of cool stuff but I was looking for a decent filter that is similar to the filtering capabilities in the Subtractor in Reason. Not the Acid style filtering but,at the very least,the basic high band and lowband cut filtering. I don't want to import everything I want filtered into Reason though and want a good filter I can use in PTs on its own. Ok. I guess the search is still going on then. I'll mess more with some EQs I have as well. Thanks fellas.

DJ