Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 07-27-2003, 01:14 PM

Default Best Laptops for Pro Tools LE

I would really like to see the VAIOs on that list [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] . Sounds like there have been some that do very well. I wonder if it is the "iLink" thing that is keeping them off.

I would really like to see some DaveC scores, too. I just posted looking to pick up a laptop and there aren't may posts with scores out there. What a timely post!

Eric

Eric
Old 07-27-2003, 07:55 PM

Default Re: Best Laptops for PTLE

funny how you don't see sonys on the list since digi and sony did a tour.

Wiz
Old 07-27-2003, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by WorldOfWiz:
funny how you don't see sonys on the list since digi and sony did a tour.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">yeah, when the 002 came out, they toured with a Sony laptop, boasting about how they came out with PC and Mac release at the same time.

of course, at the london Turnkey demo, the computer started doing strange things in the middle of the presentation, and the Digi guy kept muttering curse words and saying, "see, this is why I use a real computer, a Mac."
Old 07-27-2003, 08:00 PM

(btw, i'm a PC user, and def there's a reason i'm not a Mac user, so don't start chewing me out for being some Mac-addict)

P4 2.53gHz, 1gb DDR RAM, P4PE mobo, etc etc..
Digi001.
Old 07-27-2003, 09:39 PM

I have two laptop systems with PTLE on them.

#1. Sony Vaio PCG-NV190. P4 1.7ghz. This is my "everything" laptop for when I am on the road, so I haven't performed many system tweaks.

#2. Fujitsu Lifebook C6651. P3 1.13ghz. This is my audio only laptop. I have performed all of the tweaks listed on the PCaudiolabs(I think that's it) website.

I have used the MBox on both systems, and my DaveC results on either unit is 19 tracks, running to an external firewire(onboard)/usb2.0(PCMCIA card) hard drive.
I would be willing to test out an 002r if someone is willing to donate one to me. For about a year [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-27-2003, 10:24 PM

Like most software companies, Digi probably does not have the resources to test on every platform so they test on a representative few and those are the ones that show up on their recommended list. That doesn't mean other laptops won't work with Pro Tools. What would be useful is for people to post which laptops they have successfully run PTLE on - sort of a DUC recommended list. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-27-2003, 10:27 PM

Yes that was the original purpose of this thread. I wanted to let people know what we have so far from Digi and then get others to share what their experiences have been with other laptops. I also like the idea of posting performance results.

Would somone with a PowerBook G4 like to step forward please? LOL

Allen [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-27-2003, 10:28 PM

Gateway 400S, P4 2.0GHz (not mobile), 256MB

28 tracks on the DaveC test with PTLE 5.3.3.

The test was conducted using an external USB 2.0 hard drive connected via a Belkin USB 2.0 cardbus card. Mbox was connected to the Gateway's internal USB 1.1 ports.

One of the three cooling fans on this notebook is VERY loud. Gateway's service dept. says the noise level is normal for this PC. Bummer.

Mike

Note: Gateway has added some new 400 series models since I bought mine in Dec. 2002. Mine is a 400SD4 model.
- PreSonus Quantum 2 - PreSonus Studio 24c - Mackie Onyx 1640i
- Samsung T3 and T5 SSDs - Various USB2/3 and Firewire HDDs
Old 07-27-2003, 11:52 PM

Ok, I just heard about this laptop from my DUC friend executivos and I can't wait to see the results with this one. This is like the Allenstein Machine in a Laptop, same chipset that is in the A7V333-X (KT333) with the new southbridge VT8235, and my favorite processor, the AMD XP2500+. Would some of you please buy this and test it for us now. This is one of the few AMD boards with onboard firewire that actually worked with 002. There is no doubt this is the one I'd be buying. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

LCD (Screen)
15.0" SXGA+ TFT LCD (1400 x 1050 Max Resolution)

Core Logic
VIA (KT333) / NB VT8367 + SB VT8235

Memory
Expansion 2 slots of 200pin DDR SDRAM module
Support 2.5V DDR SDRAM module

Video
ATI Mobility Radeon 9000 M9, AGP 4X, external 64MB DDR video memory

Optical Drive
Internal DVD-Rom / CD-RW combo drive

Audio
AC’97 V2.2 compliant Audio controller with legacy mode support, 3D sound, SoundBlaster Pro compatible

Keyboard
Support WIN98 key, 88keys (US), 19.0mm pitch

I/O Ports & PCMCIA
1x 15pins CRT port, 1x 25pins Printer Port, 1x S-Video TV out, 1x Microphone-In / Audio-Out jack, 1x DC-In jack, 1x PS2/Key board/ Mouse port, 1x IR, 1x RJ-45 jack for LAN, 1x RJ-11 jack for Modem, 2x USB 2.0 ports, 1x IEEE 1394 connector.
One type II slot, support CardBus

Battery
3S3P, 9-Cells, 3.7V/1950mAh, 64.9 Watts or 3.7V/2000mAh, 66.6 Watts
Smart battery with battery gauge IC BQ2060

Battery Life
2.0 - 3.0hrs

Battery Charge
3.5hrs fast charge when system off

AC Adapter
100-240V, 50-60Hz, 90W, 19V

Pointing Device
TouchPad - Synaptics w/ scrolling button

Communication
56K V.90 Fax Modem
10/100 Base-T Ethernet

MP3 Player
MP3 Player LCM module included

Security
Kensington lock

OS Support
Windows 98SE / Windows 2000 / Windows XP Home / Windows XP Professional

Dimension & Weight
About 3.1kg
328mm(W) 283mm(D) 26.5mm(H)

I setup an IBM 5400rpm HD 40GB, 512MB DDR PC2700 ram, wireless networking, and WinXP Pro.

Total= 1598.00

For best prices on this system and best vendors go to www.pricewatch.com

Enjoy and thanks executivos for the great find.

Allen [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-28-2003, 12:37 AM

Default Best Laptops for PTLE

Updated 1/13/07

Current recommendation is to get the new MacBook or MacBook Pro for PTLE. They will also run on Windows XP using either BootCamp or Parallels software making them the most versatile laptop on the planet. I highly recommend using OSX with PTLE however. If you have ever had a virus on your computer you will appreciate OSX.

http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/

Digidesign Recommended Laptops (from compatiblity pages)

Best Notebook Forum on the Web

MacBook Pro or MacBook Dual Core or Core 2 Duo Intel 2Ghz or higher. Get at least 1GB of ram.

And Dude, DON'T buy a Dell!

Nuff said!

For those PC diehards that want less computer for more money this applies to you:

Installing Standard PC

If you are running into recording errors do one of the following two:

1. Disable the "Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery" in the device manager.

2. I highly recommend switching from ACPI to Standard PC by reinstalling WinXP and using the F5 option during install to switch to Standard PC. Reformatting will also remove any unwanted programs and give you a clean computer. I recommend installing WinXP SP1 if using PTLE version prior to 6.9, or update your Pace drivers to the most current version. You can use your SP2 disc authorization numbers to register an SP1 install if needed.

While the above link is the current recommended list by Digi, we realize that Digi is not able to test every laptop made and most of these laptops are discontinued. For this reason, I encourage people to participate here. Please list your system specs below and let us know what is working and what isn't. Include your Davec Performance Test results also. Just copy and paste the following list into your post and fill in the information.

Digi Hardware:
PTLE Version:
Laptop Name and Model #:
Ram type and Amt.:
Hard Drive Config.:
Firewire Card or Connection (Name and Model#):
Experiences:
Davec
Test Results:
Dverb Test Results:
Recommendation1-5) 1= Highly, 5=Sending it Back

Thanks everyone for your help here in making Windows PTLE a powerful, fun, enjoyable, and professional recording platform!

Allen