Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 08-07-2002, 11:20 PM

Default using outboard gear

This is the first time I've tried to hook up outboard gear to the digi001 and I can't get. Basically could some one tell me the signal path. I'm using a multi-fx unit and I would like to us it on one of my audio tracks but I don't understand if I need to use an Aux track or not.
Help Please!!
Old 08-07-2002, 11:29 PM

Default Re: using outboard gear

Hi,

If you are routing the whole signal through an external unit, select the appropriate output on the channel strip (rename your ins and outs with meaningful names in the "I/O Setup" for an easier life).

Then add a new AUX track and set the input of the AUX track to come from the external unit. Then you'll hear the resulting signal.

If you don't want the whole signal to go through the external device, leave the output of the track alone, and select the external device/Digi001 OUT in one of the Sends (underneath the plugins). You'll still need the AUX track to monitor the returned signal though.
Old 01-30-2003, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by milesyoung:
...(rename your ins and outs with meaningful names in the "I/O Setup" for an easier life).
Does renaming I/O paths in PTLE (001) work for you guys? I just tried this and it "just won't take." I gave In1, In2, etc. each a name and exported that to "Last Used.ptio" but when I import that I/O setup into my session, the names don't show up. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance,

Brian
Old 01-30-2003, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bwherry:
I gave In1, In2, etc. each a name and exported that to "Last Used.ptio" but when I import that I/O setup into my session, the names don't show up. Am I doing something wrong?
try it again, but when you export, give it a different name, like "brians io.pio". then, if you create a session and your i/o setup is not the way you want it, go to setup > i/o setup and import "brians io.pio".
Old 10-29-2021, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiterabbit View Post
This is the first time I've tried to hook up outboard gear to the digi001 and I can't get. Basically could some one tell me the signal path. I'm using a multi-fx unit and I would like to us it on one of my audio tracks but I don't understand if I need to use an Aux track or not.
Help Please!!
Lets see if I can help .. First what version of PT are you using ? Not sure of way back when ,,, but in most of the more recent versions ?
No you do not "need" to use an aux track you can use it on any track as a HW insert, accessed from the inserts section of the track in the I/O selection of the inserts drop down

But might want to put it on its own Aux track as a parallel effect for multiple tracks, which is how I do it

Physically you simply connect it to one (or two if a 2 channel unit) of the 8 channels on your 001 So if it is a 2 channel unit , say 5-6 of your 001---- go from the 001,, 5-6 outs to the ins on your HW unit, and then from the outs on your unit,, to the 5-6 ins on your 001

So here is my set up with my HW compressor on 5-6 and renamed 3U and my HW reverb renamed M7

both are on there own Aux tracks,,, the reverb so I can send multiple tracks to it and the Comp as a 2 bus compressor on my 2 Mix track which the entire mix routes to before going to the main 1&2 outs (which I have renamed Stereo Mon)

So here you see they are in the inserts sections of their Aux tracks the M7 3rd from right and the 3U second from right

Here is where they are accessed from the inserts -I/O section dropdown , this is the inserts for the M7 track and at bottom you see i/o selection in blue,,, and M7 is checked

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...

Last edited by K Roche; 10-29-2021 at 12:36 PM.
Old 10-29-2021, 12:57 PM

Oops K Roche, you are replying to an old post from 2002. Sadly this is what happens when folks reactivate/spam old threads with irrelevant questions (the spam post was removed by mods).
Old 10-30-2021, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Oops K Roche, you are replying to an old post from 2002. Sadly this is what happens when folks reactivate/spam old threads with irrelevant questions (the spam post was removed by mods).
Ha ha well I am old and for go to look at the date so there ya go

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 10-30-2021, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Roche View Post
Ha ha well I am old and for go to look at the date so there ya go
On the plus side, I think you now have the record for the oldest thread to resurface

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave