Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 07-10-2002, 07:32 PM

Default Re: Audio Bounces are longer than my song?

fwafitz,
Also, to shorten an audio track to the EXACT length you want it, you can highlight from start to finish exactly what you want to keep. Consolidate it by hitting Alt/Shift/3... then double click on the excess region(s) to the RIGHT of that good part, and hit Ctl/X until it/they are gone.
Old 07-10-2002, 08:11 PM

One last thing, I mentioned that by default, PT keeps a certain amount of measures in the session PAST where you've told it you want the end to be. That amount is, I believe, 20 measures.
SO, say your total session if 500 measures long, but you 'shave'/highlight from measure 300 all the way to the end (measure 500), PT will make your session stop at measure 320.

I don't know what the logic is behind this, but I'de rather have a little more left than not enough. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Sorry if any of that seems at all complicated, but that's the way it works.

~Roy
Old 07-11-2002, 01:02 PM

That's an interesting thing about the 'extra measures'... something I haven't run across since I work only in min/secs... The extra space does not exist in the mins/secs realm, at least not on this machine

Anyway

To delete invisble data, double-click the zoom tool- this will show you all of the session in one window.

Hit one of the < or > arrow keys. That will center the cursor past the 'end' of the regions.

Now make volume automation data visible click to the left of the ALL group to highlight all track names) open one volume view and they all should change to volume view. ...make sure all volume automation is cleared to the right of your session. Do this by click-drag to highlight and then backspace or delete. (Same results).

Then go through the views for each mute, pan L&R, any MIDI stuff not normally visible (I'm not doing MIDI now but can imagine there may be hidden stuff for that, too). Check that they're all clear.

Return all tracks to waveform after checking all views.

Enter to bring cursor to start, Save 'n bounce. The bounce really should start at '0' and end at the end of the last region without highlighting anything.
Old 07-11-2002, 01:12 PM

I've never bothered trying to determine what PT defines as the end of the song, since I've always found that highlighting the range you want to bounce is a must anyway. If PT only bounced up to the end of the last audio region, it would be chopping off reverb tails and echo etc. I usually find the best range for the bounce and save it to a 'selection' type memory location and name that location 'Bounce' for easy recall.

Tom
Old 07-11-2002, 02:13 PM

"The extra space does not exist in the mins/secs realm, at least not on this machine"

Stone-ster,
Are you sure about that? Because, in mine, even in minutes/seconds, it leaves 30 seconds from the point I tell it to start 'shaving'. Like say take a 5 min. session, (in Shuffle Mode) if I highlight from the 3 minute point all the way to the 5 minute point, the session will then be 3:30 in length.

Check it if you haven't already and let me know. It would be weird if mind is different than yours in that way. Ahhhh, science...science... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Thankest thouest greatestly, Royster
Old 07-11-2002, 04:40 PM

Hi Roy-
How are you seeing that there is this 'extra space'? Is it on your screen only or in the bounce?
Also what are you shaving and why? Is this in waveform view?

I just did a test bounce using mins/secs without highlighting or regionalizing anything, and the bounce was of the regions only and exactly, 0 time left after end of audio...

tld
I would say that at least on my setup it isn't a must to create a bounce region, if you are not using reverb or other after-region plugs. It just keeps going until there are no more regions. Then it converts and bang, done.

My guess is on this one session that started the thread, there is some leftover automataion data that causes the program to keep bouncing until it writes that data, like 40 seconds after the end of the last region...
Old 07-11-2002, 06:42 PM

Stone...Hey old buddy,
Here's all I mean. In the Edit Window, or 'waveform view' as I think you mean, many times a session can end up with either a bunch of 'cluttered' audio regions that are separate from the actual song, or just simply a bunch of extra space, for whatever reason.
This unwanted area is often to the right of the 'good part' of the song, and sometimes just to clean things up, one may want to get rid of all that.
Well, one way to do that is this.
1. In Edit Mode, put it in 'Shuffle Mode'
2. Let's say the whole session ends at 5 minutes, which shows in the upper right part of the timeline bar, but the 'good part' of the song ends at 3 minutes in the timeline bar.
3.With the cursor, click at the 3 minute point, and highlight all the way to the end (5 minute point). That whole section will be black, all tracks.
4. Hit 'Delete'.

Now the session ending point will be around 3:30.

And if your in Bars/Measures, it'll be 20 measures past the point you told it to end.

So, that's all I mean, no big deal. I thought it was clear before.

In sample editing, probably more than anything, I'm often trying things very quickly, and I'll put things 'aside' at the end of the session, in case I want em back later. So it can wind up pretty cluttered.

As I said initially though, a simple 'bounce' should be as simple as highlighting what you want, and bouncing it.

Sorry if I didn't explain what I meant clearly before. ~Roy [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-12-2002, 08:28 AM

OK that's what I thought you were referring to-

So I can answer your question as:
Nope... I tried the procedure and after clearing from the end of the keeper regions on down to the right, and after doing that, the session ends exactly at the beginning of the cleared section, no buffer zone or extra room left over.

In my short example session I cleared from 00:30:10 down past 05:00 and as a result, the end of the session (and bounce) was :30 for the radio spot, no highlighting necessary, no extra silence at the end.

It sounds as though there may be a setting someplace to have x:time extra at the end of the session- I've never seen such an option in PT, but the behavior you describe SOUNDS like it, doesn't it? [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

So I still have a ? for you from above- does your extra open space translate into dead air at the end of a bounce, too?
Old 07-12-2002, 09:35 AM

"So I still have a ? for you from above- does your extra open space translate into dead air at the end of a bounce, too?"

Hey Stone,
Yep, it's dead air space when I do this. Quikdraw tried it last night, and he got almost 12 measures in bars/beats, and about 23 seconds in the time thing. So, hmmmm. He's got XP, and I've got ME. I wonder if there IS a setting somewhere for this.
All 3 of us got different results, so that blows my sure-fire 20 measure, 30 second theory... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] . But, most of the PT functions work universally the same, so I don't know bout this one. Luckily, it ain't that important... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Thanks for tryin, Sir Stone...

Later, Roy
Old 07-12-2002, 09:42 AM

Well pilgrim, it was good ridin' with ya.
I really prefer the way it's working over here, with the end being the end without any padding.
I hope writing about it doesn't give the program any Ideas.
Digi posts about the idiot stickers but leaves us hanging with an authentic performance mystery. Sometimes it just isn't fair. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]