Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 03-11-2002, 01:14 PM

Default Re: Audio Bounces are longer than my song?

Look for midi regions that go over.
Old 03-12-2002, 12:46 AM

Default Audio Bounces are longer than my song?

For some reason, Protools is adding about 40secs of silence to my song when I bounce to disk. I have been pulling out my hair try to find the offending audio file. Has anyone else experienced this? This only occurs on one particular session. Other bounces of other sessions have been fine.

thanks in advance for your help
Old 03-12-2002, 12:56 AM

Are you highlighting the session to the length you want before hitting 'Bounce to Disc'?
Old 03-12-2002, 01:50 PM

You need to mark the beginning and ending points of the song with the blue arrows on the timeline. Just click at the begining point then drag the blue arrow to the end of the song. Bounce.
WD EIDE 10GB
WD EIDE 250GB
XP Pro SP1
ProTools LE 6.4
Old 07-10-2002, 02:47 PM

Sorry, i'm just now seeing your post.

I've had the same problem. Some of my bounces end as it should when the song ends and i never highlighted or marked anything... and others just keep on going and going long after the song is done.

This is what I've discovered with some testing.

It has something to do with when you first drag the files into the session or record into the session. When you do this, the session becomes the length of your longest audio track and ProTools seems to "remember" that length (look at the minutes ruler and scroll to the end of the song). If the audio gets shorter through editing,
the length of the session still stays the original length and that becomes the length of the bounce (unless you highlight the bounce length).

Say your audio was originally 5 minutes and you edited it down to one minute. If you scroll to the end of the session you'll see that the session is still 5 minutes long even though there is no audio under the last four minutes. I never figured out how to shorten the session length, but you can drag the new shorter files into a new session and the new session will be one minute long. Of course that can be a pain if you need to bring plugins, settings, fader and pan positions, and all the other stuff with it.

If you drag a file into a session and never edit it any shorter, or if the file becomes longer through editing, the bounce will automatically stop at the end of the audio without any highlighting or marking.

That's what I've found, anyway. Hope that helps.
Old 07-10-2002, 03:06 PM

The thing is though, even if your session is 5 minutes long, you should be able to bounce only the length you want. I even do tiny 10-30 second sample bounces within a session all the time.
If you guys are putting the cursor in the timeline bar, highlighting the section you want, and it is STILL bouncing the whole length, then I don't have the answer. But, if not, try it that way.

Also, if you want to simply 'shave' that excess 4 minutes off your session even before you bounce, get in 'Shuffle Mode', highlight the whole area you DON't want, and hit 'Delete'.

~Roy
Old 07-10-2002, 03:46 PM

I haven't tested this one, but I suspect that PT considers automation data as 'song' and keeps going until there are no more automation changes.

For example,
If you create some automation, then leave it 'behind'... PT may keep bouncing until it's passed the pan or volume or whatever changes that may still be there.

You may want to check for 'invisible data'.

Seconding the post above-, I've found that just making the entire project one big region as Roy suggested works in spite of anything left 'down the line'.
Tip:
(Make a Selection Memory Location and you can just click to recreate the bounce region without doing it over and over)
Old 07-10-2002, 06:27 PM

Roy, how do you "delete" track length where there is no audio? In other words, if a track (not the audio on the track) is 5 minutes long, but the audio on that track only occupies the first minute and the last 4 minutes of that track are empty, how do delete that last 4 minutes of track length?

And Knife, how do you check for "invisible data"?

Thanks.
Old 07-10-2002, 06:36 PM

To clarify my question, Roy, is it even possible to highlight empty track area (where there is no audio) and, in shuffle mode as you said, hit delete to reduce the track length to its audio length?

I'm not in front of ProTools right now or I'd test this myself.

Will there be automation data in a session where no automation was done?
Old 07-10-2002, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fwafitz:
length).

Say your audio was originally 5 minutes and you edited it down to one minute. If you scroll to the end of the session you'll see that the session is still 5 minutes long even though there is no audio under the last four minutes. .
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">In answer to your question, if you take the situation you describe above, and do as I mentioned, then you will delete the section you want gone.(while in 'Shuffle Mode'}. However, I do think PT leaves a few measures MORE than you've highlighted (at the end), by default.

This pertains to deleting ALL the tracks in the session, where there is no audio.

If you want to delete just audio in a single track, you would put your cursor inside that track, highlight what you want gone, and hit Ctrl/X.