Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | Carbon

Old 11-30-2021, 02:00 PM

Default Quick Mute Headphones Feature?

I love how you can tap the speaker button on the interface to turn it red, and mute the speakers. I wish you could do this with the headphones in some way, maybe a knob press, long press or a double press on the headphone button.

When you are recording yourself or artists. And you want to playback on the monitors. It's a pain to have to go and then manually use the knob to turn down the volume on the headphones. It would be much easier to just press the headphone button in some way to mute them.

You could quickly mute back-and-forth between speakers and headphones. For playback after tracking.
Old 11-30-2021, 02:52 PM

Default Re: Quick Mute Headphones Feature?

I do not know of any monitor controller that has either/or switch for speakers and headphones. Everything has mute button for both though. It takes a second to click both, so I have never seen that a problem.

If that is essential to you, there is a solution you can do yourself. First of all you need to route speaker monitoring and headphone monitoring to separate outputs, say 1-2 and 3-4, then have a box that accepts both and only outputs one pair. Toggle the switch, done. Google "passive monitor switching box" and pick your poison. Though most of them also have middle position where both outputs are active. Best ones are expensive because they are really well made, probably even handmade.

Or, if you really want to do it in software, here's a trick. Solo safe everything and then create two distinct monitoring auxes (1-2 and 3-4 outputs) with obviously sharing same input. Then set your soloing to X-OR. That way whichever monitoring aux you are soloing will automatically mute the other one. But it also requires that speakers and headphones have different outputs.
Old 11-30-2021, 03:56 PM

Another option; feed your headphones via sends on your tracks and add a MASTER track assigned to the headphone outputs. Use that master to quickly mute or turn down. Having said that, I have never needed to do what you describe

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-30-2021, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekn0 View Post
... It would be much easier to just press the headphone button in some way to mute them...
Auto-mute feature: https://www.akg.com/Headphones/Profe...phones#start=1
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 12-02-2021, 09:57 AM

I suppose it would nice but since I am going to take off my HP's anyway when I want to listen to monitors. Simply taking them off and I do not turn them down which works for me.
Is the idea that what ever little sound might be heard from the HP would interfere with monitors sound ?

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 12-26-2021, 01:12 PM

I appreciate the response is here, but I really think they are overcomplicating the situation.

You can quickly tap to mute the speakers. They should make it so you can quickly tap to mute the headphones. This seems simple, logical, and intuitive to me.
Old 12-26-2021, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Roche View Post
I suppose it would nice but since I am going to take off my HP's anyway when I want to listen to monitors. Simply taking them off and I do not turn them down which works for me.
Is the idea that what ever little sound might be heard from the HP would interfere with monitors sound ?
Agreed.
And it's far from overcomplicating.
Old 12-27-2021, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
Agreed.
And it's far from overcomplicating.
I've had my Carbon for a year now and never even thought about until someone brought it up in a thread here.
And honestly don't remember if my Omni (for 8 years prior ) had such a feature ?

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 12-27-2021, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekn0 View Post
I love how you can tap the speaker button on the interface to turn it red, and mute the speakers. I wish you could do this with the headphones in some way, maybe a knob press, long press or a double press on the headphone button.

When you are recording yourself or artists. And you want to playback on the monitors. It's a pain to have to go and then manually use the knob to turn down the volume on the headphones. It would be much easier to just press the headphone button in some way to mute them.

You could quickly mute back-and-forth between speakers and headphones. For playback after tracking.
I can do that with my DAD MOM how I have it setup here. I use the Klang Ethernet Headphone Amp right out of the MTRX, which has super low latency and is the same mix right out of the MTRX that goes to the speakers in the room. I needed that for critical mix checks and editing all kinds of work here. KLANG is expensive, but it was the best option for the MTRX and they have a LOT of products. https://www.klang.com/en/home
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...-headphone-amp
Focusrite makes a far cheaper, but great one also. Like in the $400 range.

G
Composer/Sound Designer/Protools 2024.3 Ultimate, MTRXII-TB3, DADMAN MOM, Cisco SG350-10MP EthernetHUB, KLANG:quelle 4 Channel Dante™Headphone Amp, DVS,MADI, Mac Studio Ultra,128 RAM/4TB SSD, Ventura 13.6.5, DP 11.3, Logic Pro X 10.8.1 DOLBY ATMOS Facility/MPSE Motion Picture Sound Editors Avid Certified Professional ProTools/Dolby ATMOS