Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 02-21-2021, 11:57 PM

Default Windows 10 20h2 - digi 002 rack - pt12.7 super guide!

Hello to everybody and sorry for my bad english! This is a simple guide that resume all of the issues i've had installing my DIGI 002 RACK on my Windows 10 pc.
I've read a lot on the internet, but sometime the solutions that i found doesn't resolve my issues.

So, let's start and hope it helps someone else!

My system spech (i'm a director and vfx artist, so i've a lot of RAM on my machine and a discrete old graphic card):

Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2620 v4 @ 2.10GHz 2.10 GHz
RAM 64,0 GB
GTX1080Ti
Asus X99-M WS

Step 1 - Buy a firewire PCI card

I've tried three. Two of them not works at all, the third yes.

PCIe Firewire card

Step 2 - Make your IEEE 1934 "Legacy"

Well, i don't know if it really need to be done. I've connected my Presounus Firebox sound card and it works with standard drivers. But hey, it doesn't broke nothing, so let's do it!

1-Download the Microsoft Firewire 1394 Legacy Driver Installer
Double-click to run the 1394_OHCI_LegacyDriver.msi file. This will extract the drivers to: C:\Program Files (x86)\1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller (Legacy)\
2-Open the folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller (Legacy)\X64_driver\
3-Right-click on Legacy1394.inf and choose Install to install the drivers
4-Press the Windows Key + R
5-Type devmgmt.msc
6-Click OK
7-In Device Manager, expand IEEE 1394 Bus Host Controllers
Right-click on 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller
8-Click Update Driver Software
9-Click Browse my computer for driver software
10-Click Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer
11-Click 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller (Legacy)
12-Click Next
(When Windows has finished installing the driver) click Close

Step - 3
Now the part that makes me cry for hours. First time i've done this operation without set a restoring point,i have to format my machine. That said...

1-Create a restore point in Windows
2-Find your Windows installation media to boot from that device and restore your windows if something goes wrong
3-Downolad DIGI 002 RACK drivers
4-Now the tricky part. Install drivers but DO NOT INSTALL PACE DRIVERS!
5-Let the install finish...now installation want to restart your pc. DON'T DO IT and say no!
6-Go in your Programs and features and uninstall Interlock Drivers.
7-Restart your machine and breathe....

If everything is gone right, turn on your DIGI and you will see the firewire led blink. Now you can select your DIGI 002 as system sound card and play your favorite song on youtube, because i know that you're happy like me!

Step - 4
I'm on ProTools 12.7. I don't know if DIGI 002 works on Ultimate. Open ProTools, select you're audio hardware and you're done!
Note that i can change buffer size only in the ASIO panel of Hardware Manager, so Pro Tools must be restarted when you change buffer size...but hey...with this little baby with 512 you can do almost everything.

NOTE!!!
If you have the DIGI as system default audio card, if you create a project in ProTools with sample rate different from 44.100hz, you have to go down on your speaker icon in windows 10, deselect DIGI 002 as standard audio card, create your project in ProTools (you can do it without closing and re open PT),and then select again Digi as your system card if you want.

Step - 5
Download ASIO4ALL if you want to play with software like Kontakt or Battery in standalone mode. WASPI drivers not works with DIGI and seems that new versions don't support Digidesign ASIO. But, no problem!
When you're in ASIO4ALL, be sure to set the right output. As default it point to ADAT.

Ok, i really hope that this little guide will help someone else!
All the bests,
Roberto
Old 02-22-2021, 08:24 AM

Default Re: Windows 10 20h2 - digi 002 rack - pt12.7 super guide!

All good info, but you posted it in the section for Mac users. Hopefully one of the Mods can move this to the proper section

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-22-2021, 03:38 PM

Moved to Win section.

Joel

Home:
Asus B450 Pro4 / Ryzen 5 2600 / 32GB RAM / Win 11 Pro
Pro Tools HD / Focusrite 18i20 + M-Audio ProFire 2626

Rig:
Eleven Rack / ART SLA1 / Two 2x10 Passive Monitors / FCB1010 w/ EurekaPROM
Old 03-06-2021, 10:34 AM

Really sorry for that! My mistake! I've not seen the two sections.
Old 06-21-2022, 12:01 PM

Hi,

Thank you very much for the information. I was very happy to run my old 002r with WIN 10 and pro tools 2022.5 until today. Previously I've experienced some issues like if I did not turn on the unit during boot WIN did not connect it. Now I have installed another HDD to my computer and everything just worked fine for the first time. After the Firewire led did not turn on anymore. Several restarts, playing with turning on the Digi first than PC, reinstalling driver but I keep getting the below messgage.

"This Device Cannot Start, Code 10"

Could you please advise how to solve it? I am getting really frustrated as I do want to continue using this old unit. Thank you in advance.
Old 06-21-2022, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ampampam View Post
Hi,

Thank you very much for the information. I was very happy to run my old 002r with WIN 10 and pro tools 2022.5 until today. Previously I've experienced some issues like if I did not turn on the unit during boot WIN did not connect it. Now I have installed another HDD to my computer and everything just worked fine for the first time. After the Firewire led did not turn on anymore. Several restarts, playing with turning on the Digi first than PC, reinstalling driver but I keep getting the below messgage.

"This Device Cannot Start, Code 10"

Could you please advise how to solve it? I am getting really frustrated as I do want to continue using this old unit. Thank you in advance.
Things to consider:
1-if you ever "hot-patch" the firewire cable(plug or unplug with everything powered ON), its very possible that you fried the FW chip in the 002, the computer, or both(not worth the repair cost)
2-nearly every 002 ever made has or will suffer the dreaded "power harness" issue(since you have the rack version, pop the top and look for the PSU on the right side. Find the power harness(flat wire with white plastic "Molex" connections) and take each connection(there are 3) and unplug>replug each connector at least 6 times. You might get lucky
3-you might not get lucky and its time to let the old box go and get something newer(and while you are letting go of "the old", consider letting go of firewire too
4-the proper power-up sequence is interface ON, before the computer

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave