Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 09-13-2000, 06:54 AM

Default Stereo receiver as power amp?

Does anybody use a regular old stereo receiver (Kenwood) with passive near field speakers for your monitoring. Would there be a "huge" difference in buying a dedicated power amp instead.
Old 09-13-2000, 07:33 AM

Default Re: Stereo receiver as power amp?

bassmac, I used to use an old (1970s) technics receiver (300Watts) as my power amp. It all depends on how flat sounding your receiver is. Some receivers color the sound alot; others are more clean. My old technics was very clean and had very fast transient power; it could amplify peaks cleanly with very little coloration. Your monitors will also affect this tremendously. If you have a flat efficient monitor, it will require a lot less work from your receiver than poor speakers.

The only way to tell if your system is flat or not is to do a frrequency analysis of your environment with a spectrum analyzer. A simple 31 band graphic EQ can help flatten out speakers, amps, and inherent room sound.

The shape of your room has a lot do with the sound too. I recently discovered that the room I was mixing in had a huge bass bump. I put in a couple of bass traps and some sonic foam to kill osme early reflectins and it sounds much better now.

Good luck!
http://www.1011productions.com
Old 09-13-2000, 03:59 PM

This is too funny.

I'm currently using a consumer level Kenwood amplifier, also with PSB consumer level monitors.

The general rule is, if that's all you have, why not use it. Just remember that consumer level is manufactured to enhance sound, and professional will provide flat response for reference.

BTW: I'm purchasing professional monitors this weekend, active ones. From my research, most people as using monitors with active amplification.
Old 09-13-2000, 06:11 PM

Actives in general do have some inherent advantages over passives. For one thing, the drivers are matched to the amps so you get a consistent predictable sound from setup to setup and from one speaker to another, and no coloration that would be due to impedance mismatch since the components are designed to work together. The wires that connect amp to speaker are also significantly shorter and therefore won't compromise the damping factor of the amp the way cheap or long (significantly resistive or reactive) speaker wires can.

I'm currently using a Hafler power amp and passives with good results, but When I can afford it I think I'll get a pair of Mackie HR824's. I also heard some Tannoy actives's the other day that sounded really good for significantly less money.
Old 09-13-2000, 10:33 PM

I used to run my Tannoy SBM's off a Kenwood reciever. Since then I have upgraded to a Crown DC-300A Series II amp.

If you can afford one, a dedicated high current amp with strong power rails will give you significantly better punch and bass response, because of braking issues and such. The DC-300A has HUGE caps on the back that keep the rails increadibly stiff, so even out of cheap-a** little passive monitors I get rather powerful clean bass with plenty of punch for my studio.

Good actives have the same story, if well designed they have high current potential, and strong rails (power rails stay charged during heavy transients or low bass, or recharge very quickly). They are also typically better matched and use better components.

Cheap actives are about as good as decent passives with a stereo receiver. . .
JBL 4206's come to mind . . .
Old 09-14-2000, 12:05 AM

Very interesting topic here:

Anyone know of a place to REALLY study or get knowledge about fixing up a (bed)room for the best acoustics. I've seen articles on this topic in mags before. But just wondering if there are STANDARD acouctic procedures that should be done in ANY room? Lots of possibilities, I'm sure.

YGR
Matt
Old 09-14-2000, 08:27 AM

Thanks for the useful tips guys. I’m sure to a certain degree it can’t be all that bad mixing on a average consumer stereo system, after all that’s what 99% of most people hearing your music will be using. I do however have my eye on those Mackie HR824’s....
Old 09-14-2000, 02:14 PM

Your regular old consumer stereo receiver will work. No reason not to use it.

Be aware that a lot of consumer equipment is not as good sounding as it's spec's might claim to be.

Also, most consumer equipment isn't designed for the kind of long term duty that professional equipment (usually) is.

Old 06-02-2021, 04:25 PM

Hello everyone. I am a little new to this and 21 years late to this entire forum post. Most likely many of you have upgraded your hardware device and if you can, please help me find a solution or work around to my mess. I inherited a Digi 003R and my mac is stuck at 10.8.5 for reasons beyond my control at this moment. I am NOT a hardware guy. I can make a beat, create a song, do vocals and write, BUT when it comes to knowing hardware...I am lost. Anyway, I read that the 003R needs this:

Main and Alternate Monitor Output pairs (+4 dBU) with a single level control. These outputs mirror Outputs 1–2 and provide direct connection to a monitoring system (such as a stereo power amp, powered speakers, or another stereo destination).

Can anyone recommend any AMP that I can use with non powered speakers and that of the Digi 003R? Or any stereo amp that I should focus my attention too? Currently, the only speakers I can use are Banana plugged speakers which I've connected to 1/4, but when they are connected to the Digi 003 they lack any or all power to make them work loudly. I know this sounds so old school, but I am trying to learn and grow and at the same time...become less dependent on those I once worked with. Please help with advice and Thank you in advanced.
Old 06-02-2021, 04:53 PM

Default Stereo receiver as power amp?

Plugging passive speakers into a 003 is going to yield no sound. There is no amplification.

You don’t mention what speakers you currently have or what your budget is. You could spend a hundred dollars or thousands!

If you don’t have a big budget, look at getting a second hand power amp. They’ll more than likely, if modern, have speakon outputs. Just run them to bare wire or add the ‘banana plugs’ to the other end. Also look for one that doesn’t have a fan.

But yeah, some more info will yield better advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Sardi; 06-03-2021 at 05:03 PM.