Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 04-16-2006, 04:48 PM

Default Re: The Allenstein Quadzilla Machine

Asus k8n-dl motherboard *
2 opteron 270 dual cpu's

So far this is the same as mine

2G of Corsair CM72SD1024RLP-3200 (1024MB Registered DDR400, 2 Ranks)
The Ram must be in Dimm slots a_1 and a_3 if only using 2 sticks of ram.

Ram for this mobo must be installed in sets of *3* when two CPU's are installed. And if only 3 are installed CPU 2 only sees single-data-rate ram, i.e. 1/2 the potential of the ram bus. In your case, both CPU's must be seeing SDR ram. I'm surprised your rig works at all! The appropriate configuration for audio is 6x 512MB PC3200 ECC registered buffered ram. I've got 4x 1GB installed, but only 3 are recognized, and CPU 2 sees SDR.

Highly recomend not experimenting with power supplies. Both the Tyan and the Asus take an 8 Pin 12V conn. which the selection for these seems small at the moment. Yes i found this out the hard way.

When should you get experimental with power supplies?! I use a 620W Enermax, no probs, nice and quiet.

002 Rack and PT V7.1 cs6, got 139 on the D-Verb Test and 24/48K

Something's rotten in Denmark there, you should be getting at least 150 based on Shane's results with a pair of 1.8GHz 265's (your 270's are 2.0GHz). Did you set the max CPU to 95%?

I dont use any pci cards except the video card. This board does not seem like it will sit many card comfortably, maybe 1 more full size PCI comfortably. The video card eats into the slot next to it and not sure if you could fit one in there, it would be very iffy, then the slot after it will fit one fine.

I've got a Radeon X550 PCI-E, Radeon 7000 PCI, and my PT interface is an M-Audio Audiophile 192 (PCI). I'm getting 440 D-Verbs at 24/48, so we can safely rule out PCI bus issues!

The M-Audio PCI interface factoring into my scores may have merit after all Shane...

Here's a relatively quick test we could both do to make things (relatively) even:

- Pull CPU 2, 1GB ram DIMM in A1 and A2 (I have Corsair as well)

Then the only substantial differences are the interface and maybe the video card. If I can do 220 D-Verbs and you can only do 70, then we've narrowed it down considerably. I'll set it up now...

(man this rig better still do 440 when I put it back together.....)

Thanks for posting!
Old 04-16-2006, 05:07 PM

Oh duh, I don't have to remove anything, I can just disable CPU cores 3 & 4 in PT... But you'll have to move the ram over, and chances are the system won't boot with no ram for CPU 2, so you'll probably have to yank it.

One single-270 test coming up...
Old 04-16-2006, 05:16 PM

Great to see you back 3J. I just helped guitardom build his Quad. So far it's been running great. But we cant duplicate your Dverb results. It is all pointing at the Maudio hardware at this point.

Quote:
...Something's rotten in Denmark there, you should be getting at least 150 based on Shane's results with a pair of 1.8GHz 265's (your 270's are 2.0GHz). Did you set the max CPU to 95%?
Yes. The max is actually 140 which seems about right compared with mine. Dont forget that Dverb is quite the CPU pig.

Quote:
The M-Audio PCI interface factoring into my scores may have merit after all Shane...
Ya, it is starting to look like that after all.

Quote:
Pull CPU 2, 1GB ram DIMM in A1 and A2 (I have Corsair as well)
It wont boot when configured like this.

[/QUOTE]Then the only substantial differences are the interface and maybe the video card. If I can do 220 D-Verbs and you can only do 70, then we've narrowed it down considerably. I'll set it up now...

[/QUOTE]

Good idea. Keep us posted.

Can you also post or email me your complete system specs so that I can put it in the first thread for any future builders out there. So far we have 4 stable and very well working Quads on the forum. Thanks 3J.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 04-16-2006, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Oh duh, I don't have to remove anything, I can just disable CPU cores 3 & 4 in PT... But you'll have to move the ram over, and chances are the system won't boot with no ram for CPU 2, so you'll probably have to yank it.

One single-270 test coming up...
The system wont boot in A1 and A2. I dont think disabling the cores in PT would make the test that accurate. Actually taking the ram right out would be best in my opinion.

Shane

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 04-16-2006, 05:30 PM

Default Re: The Allenstein Quadzilla Machine *DELETED*

Post deleted by Shan

Old 04-16-2006, 05:35 PM

I have a better idea 3J, just configure your ram like guitardom and run the Dverb test. this will let us know right away.

Put 1G in A2 and another 1G in A3. We'll get an instant answer.

Shane

Old 04-16-2006, 06:09 PM

Don't know whether it's good or bad news, but I just did 220 D-Verbs with cores 3&4 disabled:

Screenshot

What are the odds of the first reported PT quadzilla happening to discover a magic combination with one of the least expensive interfaces?

And you say it won't boot with only 1 CPU? The manual says it should...

Ok here's the full specs (including my rating of each item)

Silverstone LC13 case (desktop, E-ATX) A+
Enermax Liberty 620W PS A+
Asus K8N-DL mobo (fits LC13 perfectly, *does not block 4th 3.5" drive bay*) A++
2x AMD Opteron 270 (dual-core 2.0GHz) A+++
4x 1GB Corsair PC3200 ECC ram (only 3 recognized, 2nd CPU sees SDR) [misconfigured]
80GB Maxtor DMax9 ATA (boot) A
3x 250GB Maxtor DMax10 SATA (two in eSATA case) A++
2x Pioneer DVR-110 DL DVD+-R C! [picky about media]
Radeon X550 128MB PCI-E C [doesn't play video, too lazy to fix drivers etc]
Radeon 7000 64MB PCI A+
3x Viewsonic VA702b 17" LCD B- [don't buy without zero-dead-pixel guarantee, I got lucky]

M-Audio Audiophile 192 A++
Protools M-Powered 7.0 A++

I should also point out the built-in Firewire controller on the K8N-DL seems super-solid. I've recorded 24 tracks of 24/88.2 simultaneously using a pair of Echo Audiofire 12's (using the lame included Mackie Traktion software) daisy-chained off the one port and it's been smooth sailing, even in live settings recording for over an hour.

So I wonder if M-Audio hardware offers more plug-ins on other rigs, single or dual cores. And it begs the question does other software yield my kind of results or yours? I've also posted a request for Quad G5 D-Verb tests to the Mac forum, they think I'm trolling...
Old 04-16-2006, 06:24 PM

Thanks for doing that. Can you configure your ram like Guitardom's? And report back. That will give us the best answer.

Shane

Old 04-16-2006, 09:51 PM

hello, your results are quite scary!! i can hit 140 on mine and stay out of the red at the best so far in 24/48k. and 95% and 1024.
Quote:
And you say it won't boot with only 1 CPU? The manual says it should...

not saying it wont boot with one cpu, but when i had both cpu's installed and i put the ram in dimm slots a_1 and a_2 the system would not completely boot, keyboard would not work, serial port or usb. dont know if that would be different than having only 1 processor physically on the board. after reading the asus book some more, switched the ram in dimm a_2 to dimm a_3 and booted right up.

everything i have checked including the sandra lite software says each cpu is reading as using 1G of ram, not sure if thats what you mean though about installing the ram in the sets of 3 and each cpu getting the same amount of use of the ram thing?? anything i can do to check this for you guys better??

i know it would not make much if any difference, but is it any different at all you using the task manager cpu window and us using the cpu window in PT?????? or maybe you're using it and just not in the shot. i am just stopping when mine cant keep off the red in the pt window.

i did my first tracking session with mine today and it is so nice to have a machine running this well even if it can only run 130 dverbs or can run 400. thank you guys. hope this info helps at least a weeeee little bit.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 3-6-18)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 04-16-2006, 10:16 PM

Well, I got a bit of good news. I took out 2G of ram and just left in 2G. My Dverb result dropped down to 128 Dverbs from 134. So extra ram will give you a few more extra plug-ins.

So it looks like a 265 quad system with 4G of ram gets the same results as a 270 quad system with 2G of ram. Some money can be saved in that area for any future quad builders. But also keep in mind that I have the Tyan board which may be a factor.

I'll have to get 3J's Maudio hardware to see if I can duplicate his amazing results.

Shane