Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2021, 06:18 AM

Default Re: HDX Driver No Longer Shows after 2021.10 Install

Maybe you are supposed to use the one included with the protools install after all. Why even have two versions?

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Old 11-04-2021, 06:58 AM

Currently trying to roll back to 2021.7. manual uninstall everything Pro tools related, run the uninstaller for HD Driver. Tried reinstalling everything... Broken, literally no HDX. Pulling my hair out here. How the &£#+ can a point release of the HD Driver break things so much.
Livid right now. Just venting here, sorry as I have a room full of students that I can't vent to!! ��
Looks like it's going to be a late night of troubleshooting.
(I've tried every iteration of the HD Driver installer)
Old 11-04-2021, 10:11 AM

Well, for me, everything has gone from bad to worse. When I had tried everything I could to get the HDX driver to show up on bootup, I reached out to Avid Support. They had me run a digitest and my card failed several tests. So they are focused on me getting the tests to pass.

What has been even worse, is the only way to reset your firmware on your card (which is what they want you to do if your card fails in areas) is to have the computer running, access the card and press a small button on the HDX card and then restart the computer (you can't shut it down). The problem is anyone on a current Mac can't easily do this. My Mac Pro 2019 machine does not allow you to access the inside while it is running. All chassis I know of are the same.

I don't know of any Windows HDX systems in my area, but even if I did, I highly doubt the owner is going to allow me to stick a "broken" HDX card into his computer and have him run it while his computer is running and I reach inside to push a button to see if it fixes the situation.

So I have been scrambling the last few days finding an old 5,1 mac, installing old compatible versions of software, Pro Tools, etc as that is the only way I can reset the Firmware on the card.

I finally got it all put together with a Mid 2010 Mac Pro 2.8 Quad (I had to buy 2 5,1 macs as the first one I bought had an upgraded video card that used both Aux power slots on the mother board). I've run through the process and with the Legacy version of Pro Tools in my account (11.3.2) on High Sierra 10.3.6, and I can not get the card to show up. After I hit the button on the card and the green light flashes for half a second and then restart, I open Pro Tools and nothing happens.

I moved my card back to my current 2019 Mac Pro and I can still get it to work with the Terminal command, although it doesn't always load it as consistently as it seemed to do.

My guess is customer support is going to ask me to send the card in. I can't go weeks waiting on a repair, so I'm likely going to have to purchase a new HDX card to survive the next few weeks.

So all in all, it has been a complete nightmare for me. I'm not positive it was the separate driver that messed things up. Maybe it is the failed processes of the card? Maybe it is a separate issue beyond the driver not showing up?

In any case, this has been taking all my energy the past few days as I've been trying to run full days of sessions in the middle of trying to solve this.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Noisebox Studios -Utah Recording Studio
Old 11-04-2021, 10:15 AM

By the way, these are the areas of the Digitest that failed. I unplugged my interface when I did the test since it is a non Avid interface (most non avid interfaces will show some tests fail).

I'm curious if anyone else having these issues sees similar fails on their card.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2021-11-02 at 11.59.43 AM.jpg (34.6 KB, 0 views)
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Old 11-04-2021, 01:00 PM

**Update** with No HDX cards showing up

Avid has a warning when installing 2021.10 about your computer going to sleep causing issues. I did let my computer go to sleep for a long lunch break so i have to own that. But My Issue also corrupted my Dadman profile and I had to reset the whole thing up with my Avid MTRX and build the monitor profiles and everything. What a Turd Tank!!

My fix was loading the driver that comes in the protools package a few times. Then it prompted to allow it access in the system prefs. After that the HDX cards worked again. Then rebuild the Dadman Profiles for the Mtrx.

On a side note it knocked out my UAD Pcie cards to while the HDX driver was not working. As soon as I got the HDX driver reloaded and working properly that fixed the UAD cards as well.

I'll think twice before I upgrade for a while.

Im really looking into a perpetual license and getting a new tracking machine this month and hoping to make it 10 years with no more of this nonsense.
Old 11-04-2021, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arichlsss View Post
**Update** with No HDX cards showing up

Avid has a warning when installing 2021.10 about your computer going to sleep causing issues. I did let my computer go to sleep for a long lunch break so i have to own that.
When I saw that message come up during installation, I did adjust my computer with those settings. But I still have the issue, so I'm not sure that is the only thing that causes this issue.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4
Old 11-04-2021, 05:38 PM

Wild stuff. My iLok dongle got knocked out shortly after jumping up to 2021.10. I had to transfer all assets to a backup iLok dongle and I was on my way after about 5 minutes of downtime. And this actually happened while I was trying to open Logic, but with the new hardware warnings and people talking about losing other hardware, I wonder if this PT upgrade wasn't somehow involved. I've never had an iLok go down like this. Hopefully it was just a coincidence but it's worth mentioning.
Old 11-04-2021, 06:50 PM

You probably don’t have a bad HDX card. Had the same issue just upgraded from Catalina to Big Sur on a 7.1 Mac Pro and PT 2021.10. HDX3. With digi test it would not run. Trying to enter code from Avid instructions, it did not see the driver either. I mentioned to you on your other thread there was another download or driver to install on my system. It popped up when I down loaded the new driver. When I first just installed the new driver alone it did not see the HDX card. However the other installation which I can not remember what is was, maybe a system function that came up. However all runs perfectly at this time. Ran digi test to upgrade my Sync X and check the cards all fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 11-04-2021, 06:53 PM

Also if you have multiple HDX cards on not an Avid interface, some functions fail but the system runs, I run Burl Mothership’s and the cards on digi test fail. However all runs fine. There is an article on the Avid site about this.

Old 11-04-2021, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzone View Post
You probably don’t have a bad HDX card. Had the same issue just upgraded from Catalina to Big Sur on a 7.1 Mac Pro and PT 2021.10. HDX3. With digi test it would not run. Trying to enter code from Avid instructions, it did not see the driver either. I mentioned to you on your other thread there was another download or driver to install on my system. It popped up when I down loaded the new driver. When I first just installed the new driver alone it did not see the HDX card. However the other installation which I can not remember what is was, maybe a system function that came up. However all runs perfectly at this time. Ran digi test to upgrade my Sync X and check the cards all fine.

My scenario seems to match yours almost exactly. But I'm not sure what the other installation is that your talking about unless you are talking about the one that shows up with the full Pro Tools 2020.10 install. In that case, I have installed that driver a bunch of times and it still doesn't work. But if there is something else I'm missing let me know.
160 GB RAM
macOS 11.7.4