How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2023, 04:51 PM

Default Plugin Alliance Plugin Issue with M1 in PT 2023.3

Greetings:

In summary: I updated to PT 2023.3 and I have two Plugin Alliance Plugins that don't load in Pro Tools but will load in Logic X and Luna.

Here's the full story: I have 2021 MacBook Pro with an M1 Max chip. The other night, I updated to PT 2023.3. Everything went fine with the install. I then went through my various plugin manufacturers and made sure I had the M1 version of the plugin (iZotope, FabFilter, Oeksound, Sonarworks, Waves, etc). It took a little while but all went just fine EXCEPT for my Plugin Alliance plugins. I cannot get the Plugin Alliance plugins to show up in my plugin list in Pro Tools. I only own two: bx_console SSL 9000 & SPL Transient Designer Plus. I know they are properly installed because I can see and can load them in both Logic X and in Luna. However, they do not show in Pro Tools, either sorting by Manufacturer or by searching for the plugin itself.

I went into the Avid and Audio plugin folders and deleted them all - AAX, VST, etc. I even uninstalled the Plugin Alliance Install Manager and reinstalled it. Same results.

I put in a help ticket with Plugin Alliance a couple of days ago, but I've not found their customer service to be especially speedy.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Old 04-06-2023, 04:55 PM

Default Re: Plugin Alliance Plugin Issue with M1 in PT 2023.3

Their plugins don't run on apple silicon natively for AAX. They do for Logic but they haven't done it yet for AAX. You'll have to run PT in Rosetta mode to use them until PA gives us what we need.

C
PT 2021.10 HDX 16x24 -Mac Pro 12 Cores 48 GB RAM OS 10.13.6 - API 16 channel - AMS Neve 16 channel, AMS-Neve-SSL -Pres/Processing, Bock Audio, BLUE Bottle, Neumann, Josephson -Mics, Bogner, Kemper- Guitar, Chandler Zener-Curve Bender Outboard/Master. UAudio, Waves, Plugin Alliance etc.
Old 04-06-2023, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Lie View Post
Their plugins don't run on apple silicon natively for AAX. They do for Logic but they haven't done it yet for AAX. You'll have to run PT in Rosetta mode to use them until PA gives us what we need.

C
Thanks, Carl. That's curious, because the PA website says their Brainworx and SPL are now M1 compatible. Here's the article I found: https://www.plugin-alliance.com/en/n...e-silicon.html
Old 04-06-2023, 05:00 PM

If you look at the versions available for each of the PA Plugins. You will see an *next to AAX under M1. That is because the AAX is still an Intel version, both VST and AU are M1 compatible. So the plugins you see in the the plugin folder will only be available under rosette... or your other DAWs

There should be an update soon giving us M1 AAX versions. I read somewhere else that if you download the individual plugins from their website, some of them already have a M1 AAX version, they just haven't been linked to the install manager app... I haven't tried that so I cannot confirm if this is true or not. I'm sure they'll announce something when they're all up.

Laptop
13.6.4 MBP 2019 16" 2.3 i9

Desktop
13.6.4 M1 Max Mac Studio
32 Core
64GB Unified Memory
UA Apollo X4
Old 04-06-2023, 05:07 PM

They certainly have not done a good job giving a clear picture when it comes to AAX and Apple Silicon.

I have also heard some stuff is working for AAX but I am also going to wait for an official announcement.

Hopefully soon. This has been coming up on their FB page a lot lately.

C
PT 2021.10 HDX 16x24 -Mac Pro 12 Cores 48 GB RAM OS 10.13.6 - API 16 channel - AMS Neve 16 channel, AMS-Neve-SSL -Pres/Processing, Bock Audio, BLUE Bottle, Neumann, Josephson -Mics, Bogner, Kemper- Guitar, Chandler Zener-Curve Bender Outboard/Master. UAudio, Waves, Plugin Alliance etc.
Old 04-06-2023, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee_Cruncher View Post
If you look at the versions available for each of the PA Plugins. You will see an *next to AAX under M1. That is because the AAX is still an Intel version, both VST and AU are M1 compatible. So the plugins you see in the the plugin folder will only be available under rosette... or your other DAWs

There should be an update soon giving us M1 AAX versions. I read somewhere else that if you download the individual plugins from their website, some of them already have a M1 AAX version, they just haven't been linked to the install manager app... I haven't tried that so I cannot confirm if this is true or not. I'm sure they'll announce something when they're all up.
You guys are the best! I just opened PT in Rosetta and they loaded. I went ahead and re-downloaded the two PA plugins individually (not through the PA Installer) as you suggested, just to make sure they haven't updated them in the last couple of days. They don't load without Rosetta.

I have one mix that's pretty far along where I'm using the SSL 9000J on several channels. I'll just open PT in Rosetta when working on that session until PA updates that plugin.

I also discovered that Avid's Pro Limiter hasn't been updated. I wonder if they're not going to bother with it. I know it's a pretty basic limiter, but I usually throw it on my mix bus and use it sparingly. It's probably time to get a "big boy" mastering limiter.

Thanks again to both of you guys for your help and for the tutorial!

Best,
Skip B.
Old 04-06-2023, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee_Cruncher View Post
I read somewhere else that if you download the individual plugins from their website, some of them already have a M1 AAX version, they just haven't been linked to the install manager app... I haven't tried that so I cannot confirm if this is true or not.
I've followed this slow process of PA putting out a few native AAX updates the last few weeks, and my experience is that the PA manager IS up to date, and you can hover over a plugin and if the info box contains"(M1 excl.AAX)" it is not yet silicon native. Most of mine are; Neolds, Lindells and a couple of others. I think the manager is trustworthy, I check it for updates now and then.
Old 04-07-2023, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
I've followed this slow process of PA putting out a few native AAX updates the last few weeks, and my experience is that the PA manager IS up to date, and you can hover over a plugin and if the info box contains"(M1 excl.AAX)" it is not yet silicon native. Most of mine are; Neolds, Lindells and a couple of others. I think the manager is trustworthy, I check it for updates now and then.
That's helpful, Ben. It is a pain to download them individually just in case the update has not yet been pushed to the Installer. And thanks for the hover "trick." I now see the difference between it saying "M1 excl.AAX" and just "M1", which I assume is what I'm waiting for. Thanks again!

Best,
Skip B.
Old 04-07-2023, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
Thanks for this, Ben. I've been watching the slow native rollout of iZotope packages, lurking for an update on SoundRadix Auto Align Post 2, and checking PA for updates, but never noticed the change from "excl.AAX" until reading your post. At least my PA Unfiltered Audio plugs are finally native. I hope the rest follow soon enough.

Cheers!

2022 Mac Studio Max 64GB / 1TB, macOSX 13.6.6, 2019 i9 MacBook Pro (15,3), macOSX 14.4.1, PT Ulti 2024.3.0, DAR 5.1, MDA Creator1.5, Rx10 Advanced, Ozone 10 Advanced, Kontakt 7, Soundminer v6.1Pro, Spanner 4, PaulXStretch,
EuControl 2023.11.0, Avid Control 2023.11.0, Avid S1, iPad Pros 12.9" gen 3 & gen 4, Apollo 8 Duo, UAD-2 Satellite Quad, Glyph 2TB tb3 NVMe SSD, x2 Glyph 2TB SSDs, x1 Glyph 4TB SSD, OWC tb3 Dock, OWC Thunderbay 8 62TB
Old 04-07-2023, 12:37 PM

One other very rookie question, which I'm sure I can find elsewhere. Will I notice any performance difference when running PT through Rosetta? I decided early on to not run the beta version of PT 2023, so I didn't pay much attention to the conversations surrounding Rosetta. Thanks again.