Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 06-13-2012, 06:23 AM

Default Benefit Of Using Win 7 64 bit and More RAM?

Hello Fellow Pro Tools 10 Users:
This is my first post in here and probably going to be one of many as I come from Cubase 64bit. So far, I'm glad I have made the change to Pro Tools 10, but I certainly have much to learn.

Right now I have Pro Tools 10 on a laptop running Windows 7 64 bit with 4gb of RAM. Some of my projects will be using lots of plugins and I'm worried as the projects grow in size, I'm going to run into problems with the laptop not being able to keep up. So, I'm considering building a workstation, but have a few questions as I know Pro Tools 10 is just 32 bit.

1. Would I benefit from using a Win7 64 bit machine with more than 4gb of ram? Since Pro Tools is just 32 bit, will it only use up to 4gb of ram since 32 bit OS's only use 4gb of ram? In other words, would I see a difference from using Win7 64 bit with 4gb of ram compared to win7 64 bit 12gb of ram?

2. Also, are xeon processors ok? Or should I look more to the i5 or i7 route?

3. Are solid state drives ok to use to install pro tools on? I wouldn't use it for the audio recording, but just for pro tools and the plugins.

Sorry for all the questions that are probably noob!

Thanks,
Doug D.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:25 AM

Default Re: Benefit Of Using Win 7 64 bit and More RAM?

The i7 socket 2011 are the best cpu choice right now. I have been disappointed in the socket 1155 stuff and still run a pair of socket 1366 i7's in my studio(with solid performance). Let me answer the RAM question with my own experience. I have an i7 920(socket 1366)/x58 system that I built a few years ago and was running XP Pro, PT8.0.5 with 6GB of RAM installed(all 32 bit). My Dverb score was 320 and I was a happy camper. Then I bought Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit and popped in a clean system drive and installed the new OS, PT(same version) and all my 3rd party stuff(so all the same software). With no hardware changes at all, my Dverb score went to 500. So my opinion is, 64 bit OS and more RAM is good. How much depends on the motherboard. If it runs dual channel mode, then 8GB would be the ideal spot. If it runs triple channel(which I believe is only on the x58 mobo's) then 6GB or 12GB(with 3 or 6 sticks). The new X79(socket 2011) motherboards run quad channel RAM, so those should get 4 identical sticks(4x4 or 4x8GB).

SSD are okay for system drives and give really snappy bootups, but they are still pricey for small capacity, so weigh the cost vs advantage. The cost of a single modest SSD might buy a pair of WD Caviar Black drives(and I highly recommend you keep a drive image or an outright clone of your system drive).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 06-13-2012, 08:40 AM

My current set-up is as follows:

- Intel Core i7-3820K
- 16GB Kingston Hyper X RAM
- ASrock Extreme 4 x79 Motherboard
- Windows 7 64-Bit
- OCZ Vertex 3 SSD (Pro Tools & Windows Installation Drive)
- WD Caviar Green HDD (Record Drive)

My most recourse-heavy session to date on this machine had around 60-70 audio tracks with 3+ Plug-ins on each track.

Socket 2011 is the latest, and WILL also support the new Ivybridge processors when they release, so you have future support. Only issue with it is the limited hardware choice and somewhat expensive gear.

Worth it in my eyes though. This machine is a monster. Soon as Avid kicks Tools up to a 64-it engine I think we'll be rocking :)

PC: Windows 7 64-Bit, ASRock Extreme 4 x79 Mobo, Intel Core i7-3820K @3.6Ghz, Kingston HyperX 16GB Ram, OCZ Vertex 3 64GB SSD, WD Caviar Green 2TB HDD, GeForce 560Ti GPU, SIIG TI Firewire Card, PT Keyboard.
O/B: Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56, Focusrite Liquid Mix 32, Alesis D4 Drum Module, Alesis MIDIVerb4, M-Audio Axiom 49 v2, M-Audio BX8a's, Audix DP7
Old 06-13-2012, 11:27 AM

Thanks for the quick replies guys!

I guess the main question I want to focus on is the memory. One of my plugins is Spectrasonics Trilian. I also have Superior Drummer... both of these alone can easily eat up RAM.

Since Pro Tools 10 is 32bit the most it can use is 4gb (prob a little less actually). This includes the VI's that open up in it... I'm assuming anyway. Is there a way to make the VI's use memory outside of Pro Tools allotted amount? If not, I really don't see any reason to have more than say 6 or 8gb of ram. However, if you can make the VI's use the memory outside of the Pro Tools 4gb limit, then we are talking!

I've read a few things about using Jbridge, VEP, Reaper, but I don't really know how well those work.

Again, I'm concerned because just one of the sounds in Trilian was close to 2.5gb. Then if I had another and also want to use Superior Drummer, I'm going to run into problems.

Thanks,
Doug
Old 06-13-2012, 11:37 AM

The benefit is that while PT is limited to 4 gigs, it doesn't need to share that 4 gigs with everything else.
Old 06-13-2012, 12:50 PM

+1 on the X79, socket 2011 and extra ram.
If you do use mech. harddisks get the WD Caviar Black.
That's the I don't care how much power it uses keep it spinning version.
Old 06-13-2012, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
The benefit is that while PT is limited to 4 gigs, it doesn't need to share that 4 gigs with everything else.
⇧What Bob said⇧

With only 4G of complete system RAM, if the OS takes up 2G, then there's only 2G left for PT and everything else. With 16G or more, the OS can use 2G, PT can use all 4G and the rest can be assigned to Disk Cache or a RAM Drive. Also, if your VI's have ReWire support then use them, as they'll operate and use the RAM "outside" of PT.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 06-13-2012, 03:41 PM

...and DO avoid any "green" drive. You want top performance, not power saving

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 06-13-2012, 05:06 PM

Yea, I know about all that green drive crap!

Are you sure PT being limited to 4gb is a benefit? If the plugins use that allotted 4gb amount with protools, then that's not so good. I would rather have the plugins use ram outside of that amount. Some of my plugins are rewire capable, but not all. I have reason which is. However, superior, addictive drums, trilian... all those are not and unfortunately are memory hogs.

I can't do ram cache either. I don't have the complete production tool kit unfortunately.

Thanks,
Doug
Old 06-13-2012, 05:37 PM

nice... only difference on my system is i'm running ASUS sabertooth...

i looked at the ocz drives... but i still dont trust them..

Mushkin chronos SSD ftw.!

op.. to answer your question.. pro tools will require 4GB itself... i'm running 16GB at the moment. but will upgrade to a 2nd SSD & another 16GB of ram when prices drop again... check my sig for further details...

when it comes to pro audio.. i dont skim on the cheeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJamsh View Post
My current set-up is as follows:

- Intel Core i7-3820K
- 16GB Kingston Hyper X RAM
- ASrock Extreme 4 x79 Motherboard
- Windows 7 64-Bit
- OCZ Vertex 3 SSD (Pro Tools & Windows Installation Drive)
- WD Caviar Green HDD (Record Drive)