Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2010, 01:03 PM

Default MC Control v2 noisy faders / Euphonix support

Just connected a new MC Contol v2 to Macbook Pro running Pro Tools 9.0.0. First thing I noticed was what sounds like loud fader motor noise, a whirring/rattling sound. It's not there consistently, but comes and goes as you bank tracks and also seems to be dependent on fader position, with faders at Infinity no noise is generated, but noise returns as soon as faders are pushed up, might be a current thing. The noise is also present with static faders, even without any active applications open, seems to kick in when faders are above 0 level.

I couldn't get hold of Euphonix support via the website as you have to fill in a support from when logged into My Euphonix. Seeing as you are logged in with a set email address, the email field is greyed out but with the registered email visible. however when you send the request it returns with a No valid email entered error, real Catch-22 as you can't actually modify the field.

Got hold of telephonic support and they could hear the noise down the line and will hopefully sort out a replacement unit.

However, was wondering if anyone else has experienced something similar? Having spent a lot of money on it, it makes me worry about the build quality of the unit. It looks like it's beautifully integrated with Pro Tools, but don't want to be returning it every so often. Not crazy about the feel of the Jog wheel either, too clicky compared to the D-Control or D-Command, but then those are significantly more expensive.

Macbook Pro 17-inch 2.93 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
OS X 10.6.4
EUControl 2.5.6
Pro Tools 9.0.0 with Complete Production Toolkit 2 / Instrument Pack
Mbox 2 Micro

Last edited by Ruthven; 12-04-2010 at 01:08 PM. Reason: Tech specs added
Old 12-05-2010, 07:53 AM

Default Re: MC Control v2 noisy faders / Euphonix support

You mean this?:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1mcnsoEnBA

Yes, those are mine. I contacted my dealer and he told me to update the firmware. I did, it is slightly better, but not gone... The Dutch Euphonix guy is coming over to check it out himself and I hope it can be fixed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthven View Post
Just connected a new MC Contol v2 to Macbook Pro running Pro Tools 9.0.0. First thing I noticed was what sounds like loud fader motor noise, a whirring/rattling sound. It's not there consistently, but comes and goes as you bank tracks and also seems to be dependent on fader position, with faders at Infinity no noise is generated, but noise returns as soon as faders are pushed up, might be a current thing. The noise is also present with static faders, even without any active applications open, seems to kick in when faders are above 0 level.

I couldn't get hold of Euphonix support via the website as you have to fill in a support from when logged into My Euphonix. Seeing as you are logged in with a set email address, the email field is greyed out but with the registered email visible. however when you send the request it returns with a No valid email entered error, real Catch-22 as you can't actually modify the field.

Got hold of telephonic support and they could hear the noise down the line and will hopefully sort out a replacement unit.

However, was wondering if anyone else has experienced something similar? Having spent a lot of money on it, it makes me worry about the build quality of the unit. It looks like it's beautifully integrated with Pro Tools, but don't want to be returning it every so often. Not crazy about the feel of the Jog wheel either, too clicky compared to the D-Control or D-Command, but then those are significantly more expensive.

Macbook Pro 17-inch 2.93 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
OS X 10.6.4
EUControl 2.5.6
Pro Tools 9.0.0 with Complete Production Toolkit 2 / Instrument Pack
Mbox 2 Micro
Old 12-05-2010, 08:19 AM

Yes, very similar. did yours develop the fault or were they noisy right from the start? Mine is currently sitting here with four faders at 0, and it sounds like a noisy hard drive being read. Gets worse when I actually play something or bank faders.
Old 12-19-2010, 03:26 PM

Sorry, for my own peace of mind can I ask whether other users' MC Mix / Control unit faders do make an audible motor noise when playing back faer automation?

I replaced my faulty MC Control with the MC Mix instead. It's a lot better, but despite the normal mechanical noise one would expect from moving faders jumping up and down, there is also this obvious motor noise present, something I'm not used to having mostly worked with Icon surfaces.

I'm not very concerned about the noise as it's not really audible once material is running on monitors or through headphones, I am more worried that it might be a motor problem that will cause issues down the line.

Thanks
Old 12-25-2010, 12:48 AM

Yes, mine is also like this, and I've seem lots MC MIX with fader cap scratching the face plate, even stock just there, this is 100% quality issue
Old 02-03-2011, 05:43 PM

Then same here...returning to dealer to change it...
Old 02-05-2011, 11:55 PM

Has any one got a v2 with out this issue?

I am on my 3rd MC Control v2 with a flickering screen.

It is disgusting.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:23 AM

Yes, mine works quite okey, but I had the importer to unpack it and they made a video that it was okey before they shipped it to us...
VI: Reason 8, Ivory It., Trilian|Omnisphere, VG2/RealGuitar, Kontakt6|GPO, Goliath|Gypsy|Fab Four, Candy, Structure, EZdrum, BIAB Audiophile
Hardware: TLM49|TLM103, SPL Track One, TC M-One, Artist Contr.v2|Transp|3xMix
Old 02-21-2011, 10:19 AM

Very disappointed to learn today the flicker issue is a problem with the motherboard. Sounds like Avid's new Artist Control is really only a new look and will not fix the problem.

I was given two choices... return it for a refund or live with it. No avenues to fix it at this time
Old 11-27-2011, 11:07 PM

anyone opened it yet? My warranty is already voided

end user upgrade?