Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Artist Series

Closed Thread

Old 07-08-2021, 06:42 AM

Default Re: Track input toggle from touchscreen

If you want to toggle input from the touchscreen:
  • Mixer tab, you can press the I on a track
  • Channel tab, choose track, select Input tile, hit control, select Input (this is obviously the slower way)
Old 07-08-2021, 07:09 AM

Thanks for the suggestion.

But my point is… on the Artist Control touchscreen, you have the other buttons: record arm, solo, and mute. Input monitoring was added to “native” somewhere along the line, and the programming was added so I could execute the input monitoring toggle with one button on my Command 8. The idea is that, for example, you are a/b’ing a mix or a master; you can simply hit that one button to do it. I thought moving to the Artist Control I would simply have all the Command 8 features PLUS added depth of controls, but even this basic function was omitted. Between that and the bad encoder scroll algorithm, this stupid thing was a huge step backwards just for doing even the most BASIC of mixing tasks. I used to be able to mix with my eyes closed because of the tactile, robust, and functional interface of the Command 8. Having said that, Eddie and the team have ironed out any of my outstanding issues… save for this one.

In my mind, the Input Toggle command should have a mode button right under the Record Arm, Solo, and Mute buttons, just like you see on your channel strip in the session.

Your suggestions are helpful, but Eddie added something that allows you to hit “Transport Extras” from the home tab on the Artist Control, then there’s something in that next menu that allows you to toggle input mode on any selected tracks. Problem is, that doesn’t allow direct selection of a specific track, whether selected or not. So, again… I think we should have functionality just like the other three buttons on the channel strip. Exactly the same. Like I had on my Command 8. There are workarounds, but this has been a step back since Purchase Day 1 for me.

FWIW, Kyle Splittgerber formerly suggested it would happen. Eddie, in early discussions with me when he came back to AVID to work on the EUCON program, agreed that this was something that should have been done. AVID has been asked for this since… what, 2012 at least, and not just from me? I put this thing on IdeaScale. I’ve been a good soldier and asked politely. Now I’m trying to keep this thread alive like a brat, hoping against all hope it can get done. Maybe I’m just being an a-hole. But after years of requesting, after the company agreeing it should be in there, after the actual device only working properly near or at EOL status, maybe as an only child I’m just used to getting reasonable requests done for me. Again - no one has ever told me that this is impossible to do. From a programming standpoint, in my ignorance, I see an empty spot on the screen down the left side of my Artist Control; I don’t see why the same command I could execute from my Command 8 can’t be routed somehow through a button allocated to that space. There are limited resources available to the EUCON team, I get that, but by pushing off the solution until after the product is EOL’d, despite years of requests though posts/PMs/IdeaScale, despite agreeing that it’s a thing that should be in there, and then you release a bunch of other products and software updates/features… and it’s still not done? It feels like a big “FU”, that the company will follow its own goals rather than its customers’ requests.

In my mind, Eddie’s been the best thing to happen to the EUCON program. Outstanding. He’s cured all other ills I’ve had with my device. It’s just beyond me how his team can’t get this (in my mind, teeny weentsy) thing done.
Old 07-08-2021, 09:23 AM

Artist Control (all versions) is now EOL (6/30/2021)
I wouldn't expect any new touchscreen functionality.

The free Avid Control app is the future for touchscreen Eucon control.

I've asked for a "modifier key+fader strip button" to toggle input on the hardware surfaces. If history is any indication, if this is implemented then the Artist Control will get that feature too as long as it has the corresponding button. Avid haven't been reluctant to allow older (even EOL) hardware get new features as long as it doesn't cost them additional man-hours.

Probably the best you can hope for.
Old 07-08-2021, 09:45 AM

Request was in years before EOL. Beyond that:
https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=415321
So it’s not just EOL products for which people are requesting the feature. And so… map a button on the touchscreen, relate it to the S1 functionality referred to in the thread. Done. Was never told it’s impossible, so at this point it’s a matter of someone caring enough about client requests to get it done. If it was “impossible” I’d give up the fight.

Even if we can get a EUCON command available I’d map a softkey. The functionality was there for the Command 8. In my mind, that makes this not a “new feature add”, but a correction to carry an old, not obsolete, central functionality forward.

As for the app… don’t need it when I have my Artist Control. Never worked properly, just asking that they make it right. I have my workspace configured for the Artist Control, complete with custom tilt (because those sad little feet don’t really tilt it much). I don’t want or need to set up my iPad next to a touchscreen that someone forgot to make work properly before abandoning it.
Old 07-14-2021, 04:53 AM

No replies from AVID? (yes, I know this is a user forum, but look at the participation from the EUCON team)

Eddie?

The silence says a lot.

If nothing else, since this request has been in for years, and customers have gone about it the right way, how else do we get anyone to acquiesce to what is agreed is a useful, essential, central restore of a feature already available on the old control platform???
Old 07-15-2021, 08:15 AM
Avid

Neale, We had an email thread about this of over 30 emails. I'm pretty sure I answered it many times already.
Old 07-15-2021, 09:10 AM

I’ve not looked at the thread in a while, especially given the software update intervals. Last I recall is that you never said “no” outright, but neither has it been implemented, although you have since created a workaround with the “transport extras”. Correct me if I’m wrong on our last communications.
Old 07-16-2021, 02:38 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neale View Post
I’ve not looked at the thread in a while, especially given the software update intervals. Last I recall is that you never said “no” outright, but neither has it been implemented, although you have since created a workaround with the “transport extras”. Correct me if I’m wrong on our last communications.
Your understanding is correct.
Old 07-18-2021, 04:47 PM

Right.

So let’s review.

a) clients of Avid request a feature. I personally had been told it was being worked on by your predecessor.
b) beyond PMs via the forum, e-mails, and support requests from others, an IdeaScale was submitted by me personally.
c) over a decade of requests and it didn’t happen. In the meantime, your clients have not been told that it CAN’T happen, and the product goes EOL, which means that less resources than ever will be dedicated to solving the problem.

You now have also confirmed that where you left it with me in our private correspondence is - the same as ever. It’s not that it can’t be done, and it’s not that it won’t be done, but it remains not implemented. And this was how many months ago?

As such, when you say “I’m pretty sure I answered it many times already”, well… what is this answer? To say “we can but we haven’t” isn’t an answer after a decade of requests. Some of that decade is when your predecessor was in charge, of course, and you’ve done TONS of work even getting these old devices to work pretty close to their full potential. That should not remain unappreciated. But how is your paying client supposed to make a reasonable, accomplishable request to AVID such that it gets implemented before a product goes EOL? All suggested proper steps have been taken, I’ve even taken the offside approach of e-mailing you and PMing you via the forum, and even further, trying to keep this bratty thread going because nothing else seems to work. My only resort is to call out AVID in their own public forum in the hopes that the others who have requested the feature - again, not just for my old Artist Control, as post #14 confirms - can get their due despite the lack of action or resources on the part of AVID.
Old 07-18-2021, 10:40 PM

So I don’t remember exactly how it worked on a command8 (it’s sure at a least a decade ago the last time I used one) and I haven’t read the whole thread, BUT there is a Eucon command for “toggle input monitoring”. This command will switch all record enabled tracks to input. it will also send feedback to the controller if the tracks are set to input monitor. I use this thing a lot on PT dock and on S6 consoles. Example: I replaced the “LOOP” button (which I don’t need) on the transport section of the dock to control input monitoring. If the tracks are set to input monitoring, the led turns green. But if you need to set a non-record enabled track to input, well why not using the tracks view on the Pro Tools control app?
Closed Thread