Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-24-2012, 10:50 PM

Default Pro Tools 8 Install FAIL

Hey I took the time to register so I could write in these forums (on a satellite connection so it actually takes awhile) just because I am so frustrated with Avid that I need to vent and maybe, just MAYBE, I'll get a reply that will consist of useful information, because Lord knows I've looked all over the world wide web for the answers I'm looking for and came up with nothing.

So, first off, I realize this is in the pro tools 9 forums and this post is actually concerning pro tools 8 but they already took the pro tools 8 forums out and it feels like I just bought the damn program.. anyway, starting from the beginning, I bought an mbox 2 mini and the installation went fine. The first time. Then I got a new mac pro computer and a 003 rack+, so now I have 2 copies of the pro tools 8 software CD's, both of which seem to be slightly different, one with the digidesign logo on it from the mbox and one with the avid logo. Neither of them work. The digidesign one comes up with some kind of "cyclic redundancy error" about half way through the intallation and the Avid one.. is a joke. I opened the setup.exe and all that popped up was a small blank window with "Welcome to Pro Tools LE" at the top. That was it. Tried clicking all over the box but nothing worked. So now I have two coasters and a 5000 dollar computer and 2000 dollar recording interface that are useless to me because there doesn't seem to be any way of just downloading the software from this site. When I checked out the support section of the site, well, that's when I really got mad. Apparently I have to PURCHASE an avid support code for help with the TWO bad installation disks I recieved? When I googled the problems with each of the disks I discovered there's alot of people with the same issues and it seems like the only people who have made any progress had to call and arrange for Avid to give them some kind of link to download the software. Well okay I'll do that tomorrow I guess, when it's "business hours" but c'mon, you NEED the hardware just to run the program anyway, why not just make it easy to download it without having go through all the trouble? Or why not at least have some kind of option to punch in my authorization codes from one of the CD's that came with my hardware to allow access to the download?

They should just allow customers to register CD keys to their own online accounts and download the software any time they want, so I don't have to worry about scratching the disk or losing it.

That's my rant. I'm tired and had to kill some time and just thought I'd put this out there for someone to see and maybe let me in on something I might be missing.

It's too bad I'm so used to pro tools and already bought a bunch of their hardware. If I could go back in time I'd just learn Logic and get some other hardware