Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2007, 08:41 AM

Default Re: Your Waves Update Plan is About to Expire

basically waves is a high priced house you thought you bought, but later find out you only rent.

adios!
Old 03-19-2007, 09:04 AM

Nice one, they sure don't tell if you WUP expires it's really going to cost you even more.

McDSP, Sony, Soundtoys, and URS are examples companies that have proven that they can give long term
support over years and expand to other platforms without overcharging for updates.

Great Thread I hope this gets some action and attention it deserves.
I am sure there are a silent majority out there that feel the same way.
Old 03-19-2007, 12:11 PM

Quote:
basically waves is a high priced house you thought you bought, but later find out you only rent.

adios!
That is it in a nutshell! I'm done with Waves. I've got the platinum bundle and I'll never spend another dime on it. I'm happy using Altiverb and Sony Oxford plugs.

Old 03-20-2007, 03:49 PM

I hope these threads do not end until there is real change. How could we convince people to stop spending money with Waves? Maybe a nasty-gram from a chief at GC to Waves would help. But what would a retailer care? They're still making dough. Oh, well. poor, poor Waves customers. It just doesn't really hit you until a year later, then it's too late.
Old 03-20-2007, 06:56 PM

Mine is due in 2 weeks also
This should be my last WUP
They should rethink their marketing philosophy big time..
I passed on upgrading to Diamond and buying the SSL TDM this year because of WUP
Every time someone ask me advice on what plugin to buy, Waves is not on the list just because of the WUP .
I don't need extra Limited version of Plugins and don't mind paying for major updates when it's reasonable
I don't like to be Wupped
Old 03-21-2007, 03:05 AM

The only argument that will convince them is money. It seems to me that they are still on the winning side of things. It is very simple, they calculate how much WUP money they get and then see how many customers they can afford to loose and still come out better (moneywise). 1000 customers all paying 250 $ WUP per year gives them 250.000 $ per year for doing absolutely nothing!! That means that for each of those 1000 customers they can afford to loose 20 Mercury clients per year! They're laughing their heads off. There is no hope that they will change that system as long as the balance is that much in their favour, or ... until finally some kind of law forbids WUP-like practices . I'd like to know exactly how many of us have really given up paying WUP.
Old 03-21-2007, 09:37 AM

I've used Wawes since the start and currently am the owner of the Diamond bundle. My WUP is up and have decided some time ago to say goodbye to wawes and their plugins altoghter, mostly due to their use being uneconomical with the outrageous yearly fees they charge. It's really funny how they charge these astronomical fees that no other companies charge for their bundles (yes the size of the waves bundles are big, but there is still a gross overpricing taking place), and repeatedly excuse themselves with the plugins we get for free but never asked for, as well as the tech support that I have never had to use in the 10+ years I have been a customer.

McDSP is the flagship of the buisness when it comes to fairness with regards to pricing, as well as transparency of terms and conditions. Ie. they don't rip you off.

Bye bye Wawes...
Old 03-21-2007, 10:05 AM

They should look at not how many customers they're loosing but how many they don't even know they've lost do to current and past users problems with them. I for one never bought into waves because of the bad press I see here and I don't miss what I never had. There are ways around using wave...
Old 03-21-2007, 10:15 AM

The only thing that would make Waves change their policy is when WE stop buying and using it.

I did. Since I upgraded to HD last year, I stoped using waves, and I don't miss it at all. I'm using now URS, Sony, Eventide, SoundToys, Sonalkis... and happier then ever.

What are you waiting for? Just GOR FOR IT!!!

Hackintosh, 3,7 GHz 10-Core Intel i9, 64 GB 3200 MHz DDR4, OSX Catalina 10.15.7, PT HDX 2023.9.0, SSL 4040G+, tons of outboard

Mac Book M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, OSX 23.6, PT Studio 2023.9.0
Old 03-21-2007, 01:25 PM

Quote:
The only thing that would make Waves change their policy is when WE stop buying and using it.

I did. Since I upgraded to HD last year, I stoped using waves, and I don't miss it at all. I'm using now URS, Sony, Eventide, SoundToys, Sonalkis... and happier then ever.

What are you waiting for? Just GOR FOR IT!!!
Yep.

Last month I decided to try something I've never done before. I moved most plugins out of the plugin folder and only allowed myself to use the following:

- URS A/N series EQ
- Drawmer Dynamics
- Eventide Reverb
- Focusrite Forte
- Digidesign Impact/Smack
- Massey Limiter

To my surprise, I didn't have to give any explanations about the quality of my work. Actually, one of my long-term clients said that "I put in some exciting vibe" to my latest mixes. This was a real wake-up call for me. I've always liked to choose what to use, but now that I just had to "turn the knob", I apparently had to make the right decisions sooner rather than later.

I'm not missing my Waves Platinum bundle that now doesn't have WUP anymore. Not even the SSL bundle that made my life a lot easier last year. If they didn't have their update policy, I'd probably keep using the plugs. Now that I have to choose what to upgrade, I won't. It's that easy