Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-27-2006, 07:41 AM

Default mixing question

I've been reading a lot of posts with people who don't like to track with compression on because they can take care of it during the mixing process and would rather have a transparent signal...My question is, how do they use their outboard compressors with an already recorded track during mixing? How do they send the already recorded signal back out to the compressor to get compression on the track? I know the software compressors are nowhere near as good as a UA 1176 for instance...Let me know..Thank you
Old 12-27-2006, 08:37 AM

Default Re: mixing question

You can send out to outboard gear within pro tools. It is a I/O send with the software. The only problem that the LE users run into is the hardware latency. Reverb and most fx are not a problem, but compression tends to be very noticeable with the hardware latency. Within the HD realm they have the feature of latency compensation that the LE realm does not. It gives some 4000 odd milliseconds of delay and it is seemless. You can send to any outboard piece and the software (cards) will compensate automatically for it. A great ability that I wish Digi would allow in the LE realm for those of use who like to use a lot of outboard gear while mixing without having to nudge, add time compensation, etc.

I tend to compress going in with my compressors, but depends on the track, etc. Once compressed always compressed.

Hope this helps?

Doc

MONUMENT SOUND ON YOUTUBE

Monument Sound Facebook

"Changing how people hear music one track at a time"
Old 12-27-2006, 09:19 AM

Doc- Has Digi ever officially stated why they don't have this type of Delay compensation in the LE realm? I can understand if it is totally marketing and profit related, but has that ever been addressed officially? Would the software need a major overhaul to be able to do this type of thing? If in fact it would cut into the profits of the HD stuff, I could live with that explanation. It just gets old that everyone keeps BEGGING for this feature and I've never seen Digi comment on why they don't/can't/shouldn't implement it. (I'm guessing this is similar or the same as PDC)
Old 12-27-2006, 09:40 AM

I am sure that it "can" be done, however with HD it uses one or two of the DSP chips to make it happen. That is why it is so fast with doing it. The LE world would have it software/CPU driven, which we all know would once again spark issues. Let em work the bugs out of the software compatibility thing first. Heck I would be happy with a purchased ILOK to use the software to simply MIX without having to lug around a Mbox MINI that I will NEVER use any feature for except the volume knob. It is the worlds most expensive dongle in my opinion.

Doc

Monument Sound Facebook

Old 12-30-2006, 05:27 PM

I have a Tubetech LCA 2B that i use while recording/mixing. While using it during a mix (routing the out of a channel to the compressor input and brining the compressor out to a seperate channel,) I hear latency, but if i record those compressed tracks on to new tracks, they line up fine, the latency is gone. That just seems wierd to me. Any explanation?
Old 12-30-2006, 05:27 PM

I have a Tubetech LCA 2B that i use while recording/mixing. While using it during a mix (routing the out of a channel to the compressor input and brining the compressor out to a seperate channel,) I hear latency, but if i record those compressed tracks on to new tracks, they line up fine, the latency is gone. That just seems wierd to me. Any explanation?
Old 12-30-2006, 07:30 PM

Twix,
writing it to a new track like that should actually have the latency that you heard as well? You certain that it is lining up perfectly? If I send out to my 1176's or distressors I get latency when writing, but can nudge it to the right sample time. Just watch that in case it is fact a smidge off. Be sure to zoom in to see it.

Lemme know.

Doc

Monument Sound Facebook

Old 12-30-2006, 08:49 PM

nope its on time and its the compressed file. The latency i hear while just listening is off by a hugh amount, when its recorded in, it's behind by maybe a few samples, nothing audible. I wonder whats different?

The way I have it setup is, the tubetech is on ins/outs 5&6 of the 002 rack. I am just routing the outputs to the tubetech (5 or 6) and setting up a new track with inputs 5 or 6. I would like to know why it's different for us.
Old 12-30-2006, 11:11 PM

Quote:
I am sure that it "can" be done, however with HD it uses one or two of the DSP chips to make it happen. That is why it is so fast with doing it. The LE world would have it software/CPU driven, which we all know would once again spark issues. Let em work the bugs out of the software compatibility thing first. Heck I would be happy with a purchased ILOK to use the software to simply MIX without having to lug around a Mbox MINI that I will NEVER use any feature for except the volume knob. It is the worlds most expensive dongle in my opinion.

Doc
how about a firewire DSP card/unit we have to purchase which would unlock Auto Latency Compensation
kinda like the music production toolkit but with some dsp
Old 12-30-2006, 11:22 PM

Never gona happen as far as I can tell. good idea though, but by that time all the money spent could get a HD rig. Bottom line is we just gotta make that jump to HD sooner or later.

I know I am.... soon too, like real soon. Have to when I get to Denver next month.

Doc

Monument Sound Facebook