Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 06-17-2021, 01:59 PM

Default Re: Anyone running 2021 on old cheesegraters?

Just chiming in. I’m using Pro Tools 2021 on my 5,1 , and thanks to Opencore running Big Sur 11.2.3 with a RX5700XT no power mods. You cannot install Big Sur past 11.2.3. on a 5,1 with opencore, it might install but after several reboots your system and possibly all connected drives will become corrupted, this is being worked on but no fix as of yet and there may not be a fix. You can run multiple systems and Windows 10. My system has been very solid at least for what I do which I’d mainly mixing. Opencore gives you a boot screen with non Apple AMD GPUs but not the new 6900s. Catalina and opencore were great, but Big Sur seems snappier. If you want to install Opencore you will want Martin Lo’s install package which is super easy to install. Join the Opencore Facebook group to get the links to his package and he has a YouTube channel. You have to turn SIP off before installing by booting into recovery mode. https://www.facebook.com/groups/2787...078/?ref=share
Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.10
Mac Pro 2009 upgraded to 5,1 12 core 3.46ghz
GPU RX6800XT, Samsung 970 EVO Plus pcie boot drive, Titan Ridge flashed for Mac.
Midas M32r console. iPad Pro with Avid Control
Old 06-17-2021, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by innerbooty View Post
Just doing a bit of reading about OpenCore, which I'd never heard of. What does it get me, from a Pro Tools point of view?
Well with a metal card you're able to take advantage of using your old 32bit plugins in older versions of MacOS, which I process tracks through a few cherished plugins on Mt.Lion and, within the same computer on a different partition boot back into Mojave for Pt2020.

Seems I might be able to get a boot screen, even without a flashed GPU, am I getting that right?

Yes you get the bootpicker, flashed or not flashed

Does it mean I can take my old PT 10 HD internal drive from my 2009 4,1 Mac Pro and pop into the 2009 5,1 I've flashed for HDX?
Certainly if you install Open Core on the EFIboot drive on the PTHD10

One other weird thing I've noticed -- in Pro Tools 20201.3.1 and Mojave, when I browse to open session files or import audio, I can't double-click in the file browser to open folders. I have to click the arrow to the left to open the folder, and then cascade the open folders, I can't go into them. Not a show stopper, but kind of annoying. Is this just a Pro Tools thing?
I haven't ran into that situation yet, someone here can probably shed light on that (JANNE?)

If you do video as well the video acceleration is amazing on Open Core.
Anyway, for those who have RX 460 or newer AMD GPU, this package should gives you:
  1. Boot screen (via GOP for unflashed card, including some Nvidia card)
  2. Firmware protection (to run Windows in EFI mode without risking the cMP bootROM)
  3. HWAccel (H264 / HEVC hardware decode + encode in Mojave and newer macOS up to Big Sur 11.2.3)
  4. ability to watch DRM streaming content (Mojave and newer macOS up to Big Sur 11.2.3)
  5. Boot picker (only support EFI systems, tested with Apple wired keyboard, Magic Mouse, and Magic Keyboard, 10s timeout. If you can't see this. Just don't touch the keyboard, and your cMP should continue to boot to desktop)
  6. NVMe and SATA drives on PCIe card show up as internal
  7. Support for Apple USB SuperDrive
  8. TRIM (regardless trimforce status)
  9. Ability to run non-GUI 32bit software in Catalina
  10. Ability to reset NVRAM in boot picker (disabled at this moment to align with the native Apple boot manager)
  11. Ability to run any natively supported ancient OSX with modern graphic card e.g. Radeon VII in 10.6.8 (only can display, no acceleration) [Update 5th May 2020: Sierra and High Sierra may not fully supported yet. Thanks for pierrox's report]
  12. Ability to boot Catalina / Big Sur Recovery Partition
  13. Sleep should work (tested on my cMP, but I can't guarantee it also work with your hardware)
  14. Possible to run 8x32GB RAM in macOS (user need to mod the config.plist manually. Replace the false below CustomMemory to true)

Old 06-17-2021, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancemcv View Post
Just chiming in. I’m using Pro Tools 2021 on my 5,1 , and thanks to Opencore running Big Sur 11.2.3 with a RX5700XT no power mods. You cannot install Big Sur past 11.2.3. on a 5,1 with opencore, it might install but after several reboots your system and possibly all connected drives will become corrupted, this is being worked on but no fix as of yet and there may not be a fix. You can run multiple systems and Windows 10. My system has been very solid at least for what I do which I’d mainly mixing. Opencore gives you a boot screen with non Apple AMD GPUs but not the new 6900s. Catalina and opencore were great, but Big Sur seems snappier. If you want to install Opencore you will want Martin Lo’s install package which is super easy to install. Join the Opencore Facebook group to get the links to his package and he has a YouTube channel. You have to turn SIP off before installing by booting into recovery mode. https://www.facebook.com/groups/2787...078/?ref=share
Great explanation. I have went 11.2.3 yet, in the process. Although you do need a patch for the WiFi right?

Old 06-19-2021, 11:10 AM

This is all great, super helpful info. Although, my Radeon MX 560 is not flashed for Mac, so if I need to boot into Recovery mode to disable SIP before installing OpenCore, how can I do that? I can't see Recovery mode with an unflashed GPU, correct? Although as a backup I recently ordered a flashed Nvidia GeForce GT 640, so maybe I could pop that in to do the SIP bit? Not sure which GPU would be better for me to use in general...
Old 06-21-2021, 07:59 PM

Quote:
This is all great, super helpful info. Although, my Radeon MX 560 is not flashed for Mac, so if I need to boot into Recovery mode to disable SIP before installing OpenCore, how can I do that? I can't see Recovery mode with an unflashed GPU, correct? Although as a backup I recently ordered a flashed Nvidia GeForce GT 640, so maybe I could pop that in to do the SIP bit? Not sure which GPU would be better for me to use in general...
What Mac pro you have >?

Boot recover boot up holding down command & R until recovery mode popups. Then the typical options, go straight to the top menu the go into terminal. commands csrutil disable
Enter password, then it should show disabled.

Might want to read this regarding Nvidia
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads...ation.2180095/

Old 06-22-2021, 05:07 AM

2009 Mac Pro flashed to 5,1. One SSD w/ High Sierra, one w/ Mojave. Waiting for an OWC order for one of those Acceslsior PCIe SSD drives I'm going to put in my last open PCIe slot (GPU, HDX, UAD Octo already) Just wondering if with an unflashed GPU I can see the Recovery mode options...?

Another thing I am noticing on my new system - I went straight from PT 10 HD2 Accel on Mac Pro 4,1 Mavericks to this new system, as per above. I'm on Mojave now, not using the High Sierra drive anymore. I am finding myself bothered by the fonts in Pro Tools. Maybe it's a Mojave issue? Maybe my RX 560 GPU? But fonts look blurry to me, almost watery, like ink bleeding on paper or something. I'm finding it much more straining to read, and to stare at all day. Is this anything that can be fixed with settings? A different monitor? GPU? Or is this just the way it is...?

Last edited by innerbooty; 06-22-2021 at 08:41 AM.
Old 06-22-2021, 04:59 PM

Quote:
2009 Mac Pro flashed to 5,1. One SSD w/ High Sierra, one w/ Mojave. Waiting for an OWC order for one of those Acceslsior PCIe SSD drives I'm going to put in my last open PCIe slot (GPU, HDX, UAD Octo already) Just wondering if with an unflashed GPU I can see the Recovery mode options...?

Not sure with the GPU RX560, but I see it with my RX580 on Mojave, even on recovery. It will go into recovery though, just make sure you have a wired keyboard and mouse, no Bluetooth.

Another thing I am noticing on my new system - I went straight from PT 10 HD2 Accel on Mac Pro 4,1 Mavericks to this new system, as per above.
PTHD10 on Mojave ?. Thought was only approved to El Cappy ?. But yes I'm aware many on youtube can install any version of PT on newer MacOS.

I'm on Mojave now, not using the High Sierra drive anymore. I am finding myself bothered by the fonts in Pro Tools. Maybe it's a Mojave issue? Maybe my RX 560 GPU? But fonts look blurry to me, almost watery, like ink bleeding on paper or something. I'm finding it much more straining to read, and to stare at all day. Is this anything that can be fixed with settings? A different monitor? GPU? Or is this just the way it is...?
Not sure

Mojave should not be outputting that blur. I'm sure it's your video setting that is not set right. Go to System Preferences> Display> resolution, then tab into scaled and see if your monitor display ratio is listed.

Old 06-24-2021, 12:27 PM

Thanks again for this great info. Got my OWC Accelsior 1M2 1TB PCIe drive today, so that's the next project...

Meanwhile, since this is the PT 2021 cheesegrater thread -- for at least 8 years I've been happily running my 2009 4,1 cheesegrater with Pro Tools 10 HD2 Accel, with the computer sitting at my feet right under my console. I've been able to track quiet acoustic guitars sitting right here because it's so quiet. I have another machine almost identical (2 cores instead of 1) that I flashed to 5,1 that I am using for my HDX install. Since I switched over to the new machine about a week ago - PT running off Mojave 1TB SATA SSD - and started working on it, I am noticing that it is a helluva lot noisier than it's HD Accel 4,1 twin. It ramps up and down, but it gets pretty darn noisy, with a high pitched whine sometimes. It's got the HDX card (fan), RX 560 GPU (one fan), UAD Octo, 2 SSD in SATA slots, and 1 4TB SATA drive. Anyone have any thoughts and tips about cheesegrater noise with this config?? Thanks alot!
Old 06-26-2021, 11:43 AM

lots of good folk use either or both of these to give you good info. info=control (computers, please) helps to keep and eye on processor/heatsink/bridge temps. too
of course, it depends on which fans but check this out https://crystalidea.com/macs-fan-control
and this
https://bjango.com/mac/istatmenus/
Pro Tools 2021.3.1
AMD Radeon RX Vega 64
BM Intensity Pro
Old 07-20-2021, 01:47 AM

Hi All,

If anyone here ended up following my "voice stealing" thread, I've added a new video with further illustrations etc.

https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=415743

Cheers.

Steve