Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2001, 10:44 AM

Default BIG HEAVY STEREO GUITARS??? cant get em!!

Hey guys, I am trying to get some guitar tracks down sounding pretty big, and was wondering if you had any tips. I have been trying to record my mesa dual rectifier through 12 in celestians with a 57, cuz that seems to be the mic of choice, from what I have studied. I just dont know if I am having phasing problems or what, but my tracks are not sounding choice. Any tips?
thanks chad [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
Old 10-31-2001, 10:47 AM

Default Re: BIG HEAVY STEREO GUITARS??? cant get em!!

Oh I almost forgot, any mixing tips would be appreciated also, panning and what not. I also forgot to mention, that I have been trying to just duplicate the original track
that I recorded in protools, is that not a good way or something?
Old 10-31-2001, 10:57 AM

You should definately get two seperate takes as opposed to just duplicating one take and panning it to the opposite site. Duplicating the track will just cause massive phasing headaches, and will probably leave you with a thinner rather than thicker sound. You may also want to try changing your mic position or guitar sound ever so slightly for the second take, the difference in sound will also make the overall result sound larger.
Old 10-31-2001, 10:59 AM

I never find that duplicating the track works very well. It just gets louder. For a true stereo feel you really need to play the part twice. Within that the natural drift of playing helps to thicken up the sound and you shouldn't have phasing problems. Also try using a different guitar or amp setting to create more tonal separation.

I tend to pan guitars at -70 / 70.

Good luck.

Gio
Old 10-31-2001, 11:02 AM

This should keep you busy [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-31-2001, 11:34 AM

Not sure if you're recording solely crunch guitars, but, by the Rectifier, I assume you are to some extent. Use clean tones also with the distorted sounds. It adds some color, bottom and texture. I've included subtle clean tones in the mix for this, along with acoustic guitar sounds, ever so slightly for a fuller effect.
This may seem obvious, but, since "source" is critical, at least to me, Dynamics in the execution of the part plays a huge role in your tonality. Pick-up selection can be another option to fatten your tracks.
Depending on your axe, the neck is obviously warm and round, back-off your volume for edgy chunk, and track another with that middle or bridge, to bring in that edge.

Good luck, I know this is time-consuming, but I can also understand you want tracks you can live with.

Musically
Old 10-31-2001, 01:22 PM

Orr....if you are lazy, duplicate the track w/ different SansAmp settings on each one. That should give you enough of a variety, i think.
Old 10-31-2001, 01:36 PM

its all in the hands man
Old 10-31-2001, 02:00 PM

Just my opinion of course but no one has mentioned effects. I run an SM 57 in front of a Hiwatt Lead 30 (combo amp all tube with Vintage 30wt Celestion). That signal goes into a compressor then to the mic pre. You can record two takes and pan left and right or if you like duplicate the track and ADD DELAY to the second one. Usually 30 to 60ms will do the trick. Next, add a nice slow CHORUS effect. Nothing too obvious, just enought to thicken the signal a bit. My experience with great tone is in adding multiple gain structure. Amp to Compressor (add gain) to Mic Pre (add gain) to effects (add depth and thickness). Small combo amps definitely beat the big boys when it comes to recording. Hope these tips help you out.

[img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Old 10-31-2001, 02:34 PM

I think one of the best things to utilize when getting HUGE guitar tone, is use 2-trk's recorded with 2 completely different Mic's (usually this add's up to 4 if I'm playing in a session).

I've found that using a Sennheiser 421 or SM57 as a "close-mic" coupled with something like a AKG 414 or Neuman U87 (if you can A:afford 'em, B: rent or borrow 'em) set at a "sweet-spot/room"-mic, alongside with your Mesa about half-to-three quarter's volume (to get those Tubes nice-n-toasty) will definetly make a damn good sound going to tape.

I know that those ultra-expensive AKG & Neuman mic's aren't highly available, but I've found using aShure SM-55 (the Elvis Mic) as the room mic (with a lot of gain) works quite well.

As "imp" suggested, the best place to start is at your Rectifier's AND your guitar's controls.

Being a "vintage-type-'O guy", I always bring my single coil ('56 LesPaul Jr. with the original P-90, that's been rewrapped at least 3 times now) and a humbucker ('78, Triple Custom) to any session that I'm either mixing or playing.

I also always try to double track (if I'm playing or mixing).
I use the Single coil to lay down the first take because of that Hi-MidRange bite. Which is great because when I track the humbucking guitar afterwards, I don't have to have the guitar cranked through the headphones (because that P-90 has more nasty treble than any Tele I've ever played) and I can concentrate on getting that next perfect take-n-tone.

Just my $.02