Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Third Party Interfaces

Old 04-13-2013, 07:33 PM

Default PT10 and Saffire Pro 40 I/O Issues

Hello Everyone,

I've been lurking here for a few weeks absorbing tons of info on Protools. I've searched the forums hoping to find a solution for my dilemma regarding Protools 10 and my Saffire Pro 40 interface but haven't had much luck. I hope somebody can lead me in the right direction.

I can no longer get the I/O to set up properly after connecting my Eleven Rack Interface with the Pro 40 via S/PDIF. Before I had the Eleven Rack the Pro 40 interface worked properly, the I/O settings were correct for the unit. With the Eleven Rack connected and after adjusting the clock settings the screen suddenly went black and my computer crashed. After rebooting Protools and starting a new session my outputs were now 'inactive' and I could no longer activate them through the Setup tab.

Since then I have tried unsuccessfully to get the I/O reestablished with the PRO 40. Whenever I start a new session the Pro 40 I/O seems to be replaced the the Eleven Rack I/O settings even though the Pro 40 is listed as the interface in use under the Hardware and Playback Engine tabs as well as the input tab under I/O. The output tab does not show any interface (Saffire was shown previously). Under the H/W Insert Delay tab no interface is shown where the Saffire was also shown previously.

I have done the following and still get the same results:
-Uninstalled/reinstalled Saffire Pro 40 Mix Control Software
-Updated the Pro 40 to version 3.1
-Clean uninstall/reinstall of Protools 10.3.2
-Trashed the Preferences
-Connected Interface Firewire directly to Computer
-Deleted all input and outputs paths under 'Setup' tab and clicked on 'default'

When clicking default under 'inputs' inputs 1-20 are shown. None of the S/PDIF, ADAT, etc. for the pro 40 are shown. After deleting the output paths, the 'default' tab remains greyed out and the selection cannot be made. The output paths that are shown when starting a new session are those of the Eleven Rack even though the Pro 40 selected under the 'Hardware' tab. I cannot get any Monitor Outputs for Protools to send to the Pro 40.

I am beginning to think that there may be an issue with the Saffire Pro 40 itself. I have tried various recommendations from these forums as well as others but seem to have come to a dead end. Any help with getting Protools to interface properly with the Pro 40 would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time.

MacBook Pro Retina 2.7 GHz i7 16GB RAM 512GB SSD
OSX 10.8.2
Glyph GPT50 2TB HD
Focusrite Saffire PRO 40 w/mix control 3.1
Eleven Rack w/ exp pack
Protools 10.3.2
Old 04-19-2013, 01:44 AM
Focusrite

Default Re: PT10 and Saffire Pro 40 I/O Issues

Hi there,

From reading your post, your problem does unfortunately seem down to the Saffire Pro 40. If you contact us here we will be able to help you get this all up and and running for you.

Elliot // Focusrite Technical Support
Old 04-20-2013, 08:30 AM

This sounds unfortunate as I was hoping to get an eleven rack in the future. Have you tried pressing 'N' while PT is booting and selecting the Saffire as the audio engine? Do you have the 11r plugged into the USB as well? Maybe try just using the 11R in standalone mode. Can you remove all the I/O settings and just add them manually?

I hope to have this exact same set up so let us know how things are going.
MBP 15" High Sierra 10.13.3, i7 2.6Ghz, 8Gb DDR, 750Gb 7200rpm, PT 2019.5, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Octopre MkII, Glyph GPT50, Avalon 737sp, AMS Neve 1073's, API 512c, CAPI 312's, DW drums, Fender Guitars/Amps, AKG, Rode, Sennheiser, Neumann U87 & KM184's, Coles 4038, Equator D5 monitors
Old 04-20-2013, 03:05 PM

Yes, I have tried holding 'N' as Protools starts up. The Saffire does not show up as a selection. I am waiting for a response from Focusrite on the issue. I contacted them about a week ago. In the mean time I am currently in the process of having the interface exchanged for a new unit in case there is a malfunction in the device itself. The Eleven Rack as a standalone works just fine. I need the Pro 40 to record live drums, etc. I've deleted all input/output paths and tried default (many times) but no luck.

OSX 10.8.2
Glyph GPT50 2TB HD
Eleven Rack w/ exp pack
Protools 10.3.2
Old 04-20-2013, 04:58 PM

That's a downer! I'm still waiting to hear back from Focusrite from 4 months ago, so don't hold your breath. I find the 3.1 driver flakey, sometimes it gives me a weird 'play/pause' mode in PT. So when you run the saffire with the 11r(standalone - no USB) into the SPdif it starts causing problems? You using the saffire as internal clock and clocking the 11r to spdif?

Sounds like you're on top of it, I'm just curious. I've also been trying to find a POD xt pro that I was hoping to use the SPDIF on and would love to know if there is an issue with the saffire ability to handle it.
MBP 15" High Sierra 10.13.3, i7 2.6Ghz, 8Gb DDR, 750Gb 7200rpm, PT 2019.5, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, Octopre MkII, Glyph GPT50, Avalon 737sp, AMS Neve 1073's, API 512c, CAPI 312's, DW drums, Fender Guitars/Amps, AKG, Rode, Sennheiser, Neumann U87 & KM184's, Coles 4038, Equator D5 monitors
Old 04-25-2013, 09:41 AM
Focusrite

dr_daw we would never leave it 4 months to reply to support inquiry, it may have been a case where we never received your email. What was your case number, you should have received a bounce back email as soon as you submitted your inquiry?

Electrigician if you let me know your case number too I will be able to chase this up for you.

Old 04-25-2013, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliot@focusrite View Post
dr_daw we would never leave it 4 months to reply to support inquiry, it may have been a case where we never received your email. What was your case number, you should have received a bounce back email as soon as you submitted your inquiry?

Hey Elliot,

I replied to the auto email with my system specs, and exact details as to what was happening. Since then, I gave up on a chance to hear back and have learned to deal with this issue. This resulted in my corespondance being deleted, so I have no idea what my case number is. I can provide you my email address in the event that you can seek my case number that way.

I've narrowed down my issue to using the Saffire Pro 40 as the system sound. Every so often in PT you will get a 'Play/pause' mode, but also no other audio (itunes, quicktime, safari) from other apps. The solution is to go into the 'driver latency' option, change it to anything and change it back. Then everything works.

I'm not one to sit around waiting for someone to solve my problems. I'm not upset with Focusrite and swear by my Pro 40 and suggest/recommend it to many users on this forum and outside. I'm happy to see that you guys are in here to help us as well.

I would love to know if the new Mix Control will deal with this issue, and the issue of the Pro 40 intermitently not showing up when used in a daisy chain Fw situation.

Thanks, keep up the good work.
Old 05-02-2013, 03:38 PM
Focusrite

Hi dr_DAW,

If you would like to private message me your email address you used when you submitted your cases I will look them up and assist you with them.

Best regards.

http://www.focusrite.com/answerbase/en/
Old 05-03-2013, 06:39 AM

Sent you a PM yesterday. Thank you.
Old 05-19-2013, 09:37 AM

I would like to post an update regarding this topic. I have since received a new replacement Pro 40 and it seems to be performing as intended. I currently have the Eleven Rack connected to it via SPDIF and works as well. So it seems that the previous unit had developed an issue either in the hardware itself or the firmware. At last I can actually begin recording.

OSX 10.8.2
Glyph GPT50 2TB HD
Eleven Rack w/ exp pack
Protools 10.3.2