Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2010, 05:49 PM

Default Generating a click track

Hi.

I've never tried to do this before, I'm hoping some of you have some simple ways to pull it off:

I have a pre-recorded Violin recital, which was not recorded to a click, that I need to create a click track for. The tempo of the performance is pretty... ahhh...dynamic (read: sloppy). What's a good method for pulling this off?

I tapped it out on a Midi track with my little Korg Nano, then used Beat Detective to analyze/generate the click, but it was only as good as my tapping along...which wasn't perfect, especially since I was chasing an imperfect performance. I started going through and moving individual Midi notes closer to the beats, which helped but was taking forever. Got me thinking there must be a better way.

So, is there?

Thanks in advance

PT HD2 Accel v8.0.3, MacPro 8Core 2.26 running 10.6.2, 12Gig RAM
Old 04-20-2010, 06:12 PM

Default Re: Generating a click track

Quote:
Originally Posted by postmike View Post
Hi.

I've never tried to do this before, I'm hoping some of you have some simple ways to pull it off:

I have a pre-recorded Violin recital, which was not recorded to a click, that I need to create a click track for. The tempo of the performance is pretty... ahhh...dynamic (read: sloppy). What's a good method for pulling this off?

I tapped it out on a Midi track with my little Korg Nano, then used Beat Detective to analyze/generate the click, but it was only as good as my tapping along...which wasn't perfect, especially since I was chasing an imperfect performance. I started going through and moving individual Midi notes closer to the beats, which helped but was taking forever. Got me thinking there must be a better way.

So, is there?

Thanks in advance

PT HD2 Accel v8.0.3, MacPro 8Core 2.26 running 10.6.2, 12Gig RAM
You must select the downbeats and tell PT what bars they are in the 'identify beat' (Command - I)

http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=265702

http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=257764

http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=135939
Old 04-20-2010, 06:14 PM

This sounds like a job for Identify Beat. You can tab to the transient at the beginning of each measure (or every 2 or 4 measures, or wherever it needs it), and tell PT what Bar and Beat it is. PT will make a tempo map based on the performance. See the Reference Guide for details.
Old 04-20-2010, 06:33 PM

Hmmm...ok

Identify Beat is how I started off actually....but it was also taking a while...that's when a buddy suggested the whole tap along in Midi then Beat Detective the thing idea. It was faster but less accurate (only because of my crappy tapping). I guess I was hoping there was an even better way :)

Oh well.

Thanks
Old 04-11-2011, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Russell View Post
You must select the downbeats and tell PT what bars they are in the 'identify beat' (Command - I)

http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=265702

http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=257764

http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=135939
I have never done this either.

So in essence I have to go from measure to measure all the way until the end of the song?

If the tempo of the music is already pretty steady and I want to move the original to a locked stead tempo is it possible to use elastic time and stretch the live recording to match a solid tempo?
Old 04-11-2011, 04:18 PM

It is possible to use elastic audio but you are going to lose sound quality quickly.

If you need a click track, I'd use Identify beat. Start with the first beat and then do the first beat of bar 9, and then the first of bar 17, etc. If you do it in 8 bar sections if will give you a reasonable average.
Old 04-12-2011, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubtful guest View Post
It is possible to use elastic audio but you are going to lose sound quality quickly.

If you need a click track, I'd use Identify beat. Start with the first beat and then do the first beat of bar 9, and then the first of bar 17, etc. If you do it in 8 bar sections if will give you a reasonable average.
It's too bad the track I am working on doesn't have any real identifiable beats to lock onto. Gee? I thought the track was pretty steady when I first heard it.
:-/