Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2005, 11:27 PM

Default Sonic difference between Logic and PT?

Hello, I have been doing a session in Pro Tools with HD hardware for about 2 weeks. I had to bounce the whole session to a 2 track stereo file to be imported into Logic to do a string arrangement. Before I started to add the strings to the 2 track, I was stunned to actually hear that Logic sounded better. I can't really explain why, but everything just sounded better, clearer, louder, crisper, and cleaner? I have heard people say this before but I had not heard it myself until tonight. What I dont understand is that both Logic and PT are both running through the same interface and converters. Could it be in the software? I was really amazed. I thought I would get some other opinions, thanks Brett
Old 11-18-2005, 12:48 AM

Default Re: Sonic difference between Logic and PT?

Man Holy f k,.are we on the same wavelink.Logic Coming Threw Protools Hardware is the best sound i have ever heard in my life. i downloaded a logic express version from apple and recorded a session from scratch. Just using the pre's from my control 24 and 002r for a test. I noticed a huge diference in quality right away.soon as i said somthing in the mike i new this was going to be good.
The sonic quality is to good to be true. I totaly cant stop. Now just how and the hell do we talk, Digidesign into righting us some driver for the best control surface,Hey I need to see my control 24
controling logic.This is not going to be a secret much longer,Man Ive been mixing for 27 years.Logic
is all in one box.but about the best control your gona get is the mackie.But the best sofware your gona get for digidesigns Hardware is Protools,so now what,Well The sound coming from that logic software is the best I have ever heard in a long time. Just Plug it in,so good made my cry,almost.
when I realized that my control 24 didnt work with it,Well then ya I cryed...this is it for me.Please god let protools and logic work togather,thats what i want for christmas....Hay man I got a lot of good songs these are the tools i need....Just do it..For the music.......Now to anser your
question Hello, I have been doing a session in Pro Tools with HD hardware for about 2 weeks. I had to bounce the whole session to a 2 track stereo file to be imported into Logic to do a string arrangement. Before I started to add the strings to the 2 track, I was stunned to actually hear that Logic sounded better. I can't really explain why, but everything just sounded better, clearer, louder, crisper, and cleaner? I have heard people say this before but I had not heard it myself until tonight. What I dont understand is that both Logic and PT are both running through the same interface and converters. Could it be in the software? I was really amazed. I thought I would get some other opinions, thanks Brett ......I do believe.well i thought I was the only one..I sure feel
that way..Have fun...
Old 11-18-2005, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Hello, I have been doing a session in Pro Tools with HD hardware for about 2 weeks. I had to bounce the whole session to a 2 track stereo file to be imported into Logic to do a string arrangement. Before I started to add the strings to the 2 track, I was stunned to actually hear that Logic sounded better. I can't really explain why, but everything just sounded better, clearer, louder, crisper, and cleaner? I have heard people say this before but I had not heard it myself until tonight. What I dont understand is that both Logic and PT are both running through the same interface and converters. Could it be in the software? I was really amazed. I thought I would get some other opinions, thanks Brett
Hi Brett,

I found the exact opposite! i moved to pro tools 18 months ago and the difference in quality was instantly noticeable, i always found the sound in logic to be a little bit muddy when running large audio sessions 40-50 tracks or more. I like you can't explain why!? i have read the various documents on pro tools 48bit mixer and other docs etc and it's all mickey mouse to me! but one thing i trust over the past 30 years is my ears! and running Logic with identical HD hardware didn't sound as good to me as Pro tools!! i kinda put it down to HD hardware being better matched to pro tools software!

And yes this is the pro tools forum!! but i was a logic user for nearly 20 years and it was a big decision to change to pro tools! But once i had done a mix in PT i knew i couldn't go back to the logic sound!! despite loosing the great midi features that i still miss a bit.

Any how, good recordings are made on all systems? Pro tools, Logic, Digital performer, Cubase etc etc!

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 11-18-2005, 04:10 AM

your totaly full of it.Logic sounds Better,ya wana know why,know body know the code better than apple. comparing protools HD to a 20 year old logic system is hardly fair.Did they even have computers back then? And what you call muddy, I call Not harsh,
Old 11-18-2005, 04:20 AM

Don't worry Chris - you're not the only one scratching your head after that! <g>

WTF?
Old 11-18-2005, 04:22 AM

Quote:
know body know the code better than apple.
Absolutely.... that must be it!!!!! Apple have been in the audio software production business for a good few months now, so I guess they've got the hang of it.
Antelope Orion 32, Vienna Ensemble Pro 5,
UAD Quad PCIe
Old 11-18-2005, 04:58 AM

Quote:
your totaly full of it.Logic sounds Better,ya wana know why,know body know the code better than apple. comparing protools HD to a 20 year old logic system is hardly fair.Did they even have computers back then? And what you call muddy, I call Not harsh,
Hi,

I was not comparing it to a 20 year old system!! i said i had been a Logic user for nearly 20 years!

And yes they did have computers back then! be it Atari at first they did actually have logic running on Atari computers. And at the same time Pro tools! known then as Soundtools SD11 was also running on Atari and then not long after that SD 11 was available on Mac Apple 11e. so Digidesign have 20 years experience writing code for Apple!

Go and listen to a Charles Dye production or Mutt lange production or Andy Grey production and tell me they sound harsh!!

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 11-18-2005, 06:18 AM

Don´t feed the trolls.
Old 11-18-2005, 06:24 AM

I use both Logic and PTHD. They sound different. Choose your poison....H
Old 11-18-2005, 06:41 AM

My general feeling has been that PT TDM does sound "better" than Logic. I have been trying to migrate to PT slowly but would miss Logic very mush cuz of the way I have learned to work for several years now. I sure would like to try a Mixdream or similar device on the mix buss to see if it helped with Logic. I just got PT7 and am running it through it paces but am frustrated, stuck in the middle, and on the fence!I love the way Indigo works in PT!
Pete Church