Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools | MTRX & MTRX Studio
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-27-2023, 03:16 AM

Default MTRX Studio w/ Mac Studio M1 Max

Hello friends,

I hope to get help here for my problem.

I have configured my 7.1.4 setup in the DADman software so that I can work with Pro Tools (via HD Native) and also integrate signals from my IOTA AVX17 (to which my Blue-Ray player is connected) into the MTRX Studio and output them. The routing works, but I have the problem that very often the MTRX Studio is not recognised by my Mac Studio, although it is displayed and connected in my DADman software. The consequence of this is:
  • The Dolby Atmos renderer takes far too long to initialise and cannot connect to Pro Tools.
  • Pro Tools shows me the Dolby Audio Bridge as the playback engine, which I can also select, but the signals from Pro Tools do not arrive at the renderer.
  • I have to restart my Mac Studio several times (at least 4 times) so that a successful connection takes place and I can start in Pro Tools via the Dolby Atmos renderer.

I have decided to reboot the computer and install an older operating system in the hope that the problem will be solved. Before I try that though, I wanted to ask around if anyone else has experienced similar complications? Maybe I am using a component that is causing this problem and I don't know about it? I would be infinitely grateful for any help! :)

My system:

Mac Studio (2022) Apple M1 Max, 64 GB, MacOs Monterey 12.3.1
Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.3.0.
Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.0.0
MTRX Studio + HD Native Card (Sonnet Case) via Thunderbold 2 to Thunderbold 3 adapter to Mac Studio

Best regards
Old 05-27-2023, 12:44 PM
Avid

Default Re: MTRX Studio w/ Mac Studio M1 Max

Greetings,

This should be sorted with the upcoming Pro Tools June release. Stay tuned.

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 05-29-2023, 06:31 AM

To creativecontrol,

What can we expect from the forthcoming ProTools June release.

Regards
Old 05-30-2023, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativecontrol View Post
Greetings,

This should be sorted with the upcoming Pro Tools June release. Stay tuned.

Jeff
Hi Jeff,

thank you for your quick reply.

Do I assume correctly that some users have the same problem? Because I suspect less that it is due to Pro Tools, because already after the start of the operating system (so in the signal chain before Pro Tools) the MTRX Studio is not recognized by my Mac Studio.

I hope of course that the update will fix the problem.

Best regards
Old 05-30-2023, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menelaos III View Post
Hi Jeff,

thank you for your quick reply.

Do I assume correctly that some users have the same problem? Because I suspect less that it is due to Pro Tools, because already after the start of the operating system (so in the signal chain before Pro Tools) the MTRX Studio is not recognized by my Mac Studio.

I hope of course that the update will fix the problem.

Best regards
AFAIK, the problem is with the HD Native card/Sonnet chassis and the Mac Studio, and has nothing specifically to do with the MTRX Studio.
Old 05-30-2023, 07:42 AM
Avid

Yes, precisely.
MTRX FAQ
Old 05-31-2023, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalscottyg View Post
AFAIK, the problem is with the HD Native card/Sonnet chassis and the Mac Studio, and has nothing specifically to do with the MTRX Studio.
Hi originalscottyg,

thank you for your answer ...

of course I also thought that this could be the reason. Is this conflict (Sonnet Case -> MTRX Studio) known? If "yes", where exactly is the conflict? Because in the Installtion Guide the connection via DigiLink is specified - without this, the interface does not run.

I have taken another look at our HDX card and attached a picture. The card is from 2009, the case also from the same year.

Could that possibly be the reason?

Best regards
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9989.jpg (98.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-31-2023, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalscottyg View Post
Hi originalscottyg,

thank you for your answer ...

of course I also thought that this could be the reason. Is this conflict (Sonnet Case -> MTRX Studio) known? If "yes", where exactly is the conflict? Because in the Installtion Guide the connection via DigiLink is specified - without this, the interface does not run.

I have taken another look at our HDX card and attached a picture. The card is from 2009, the case also from the same year.

Could that possibly be the reason?

Best regards
Old 09-11-2023, 09:46 AM

Yes, the problem was indeed the old Sonnet case. We got a Pro Tools HDX TB3 Desktop Classics and connected our Mac Studio M1 via TB3. Temporarily, we had installed an iMac 2017 with TB2 connection to make Pro Tools + Dolby Atmos renderer work. That worked too, except when the iMac went into screen saver. Then we had to restart the computer because the interface was no longer recognized. That was annoying ...

Now I sit here on it and try with the new case to bring the setup to the start. It shows the same diseases: as soon as the screen saver comes on and you get back, the audio driver hangs. I'm doing an update to ventura right now, hoping it will work then.
Old 09-11-2023, 02:04 PM

Update:

I reported months ago that we had great difficulties in getting the MTRX Studio working.

The problem was the adapter (TB2 -> TB3), which I needed to get from my older Sonnet case (TB2) to the Mac Studio M1 (TB3). As a temporary solution, I swapped the Mac Studio M1 (2022) for an iMac with a TB2 port, thus bypassing the adapter. Initially, this seemed to work fine. However, it frequently happened that the MTRX Studio would hang up after the iMac went into screen saver mode. Neither the interface nor the audio driver were recognized. Only after 5-8 tedious reboots were the interface and driver recognized so I could work at all.

In order to work on an optimal solution, we purchased and connected a new TB3-capable case (Thunderbolt 3 desktop chassis from AVID). Unfortunately, we ran into the same problem: When the computer goes into screen saver mode, whether due to a short break or other reasons, and we then want to continue working on our Pro Tools project, the MTRX Studio enters an error state. The driver is not recognized, and the Pro Tools session crashes. Even after several restarts, the problem persists. Sometimes the interface is recognized (it shows up in the Mac OS preferences), but we can't start audio playback. In addition, the Dolby Atmos renderer does not receive any information that the interface is active, and the initialization fails. We have already tried reinstalling the necessary drivers and software, replacing the TB cable, and disconnecting and reconnecting it.

I am getting very desperate right now as I have tried all possible options and all have failed miserably.

Does anyone have a similar problem?

Best regards