Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Mac)

Old 07-16-2013, 10:24 PM

Default MBox 3 PRO - No sound, yet Control panel has signal

Everything is routed in my control panel - playback is flawless in Pro Tools except that I cannot hear anything. The meters are moving in the control panel, hardware says "connected" and streaming, outputs are assigned to headphone A & B and Outputs 1/2 where speakers are connected. NOTHING.

The Mbox works fine - have it in Windows 8 and it works fine.

Does not work in Mac OS X 10.8.3

Why? Running the new mac mini i7 (late 2012 version) - doesn't work with Pro Tools 11, 10, or 9. Haven't tried 8 or earlier.

Searched and searched the DUC - no solutions found. I have drivers 1.2.0 and firmware 1.0.3
Old 07-20-2013, 05:54 PM

Default Re: MBox 3 PRO - No sound, yet Control panel has signal

You've visited Setup > I/O and Defaulted all four tabs?

Bob
Old 08-19-2013, 10:17 PM

I have the same issue and the only solution I've come up with so far is to pull out the firewire cable, wait a few seconds, then put it back in - this seems to give it a kick to work. I can restart the mbox 3 Pro or my iMac over-and-over or uninstall/reinstall the mbox driver repeatedly, but that never works.

It's not only affecting Pro Tools - I get no sound from playing an mp3 saved on the desktop or a YouTube video either, even though the iMac sound settings have the mbox available on the list and selected.

I have tried restoring the Mbox 3 Pro to default. both in its control panel and in the I/O of Pro Tools. I have also tried turning the mbox on several minutes ahead of the iMac to make sure it has ample time to start up properly.

I've had nothing but trouble with this thing since I did the first firmware update a few months after buying it, losing the tuner and on-board effects, and it's been progressively playing up more often ever since.

I'm running Pro Tools 10 on an iMac with snow leapoard. The Mbox 3 Pro is on the same version and firmware as the author of this topic.
Old 09-30-2013, 04:43 PM

I'm also having this problem - the Control Panel shows the interface is connected and streaming (and shows audio levels) but nothing comes out. I sometimes have to do a complete power down of both the Mbox and the Mac up to 3 - 4 times in order for the interface to start to produce sound.
Old 09-30-2013, 05:52 PM

I am sending my MBox in for repair. Will update when I find out what's up.

Sent from my PT beating heart
I am the main songwriter/performer for Midwest Whitetail, Cabela's Deer Nation, Spring Thunder, and Northern Waters Series!
Old 01-08-2014, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausnick View Post
I'm also having this problem - the Control Panel shows the interface is connected and streaming (and shows audio levels) but nothing comes out. I sometimes have to do a complete power down of both the Mbox and the Mac up to 3 - 4 times in order for the interface to start to produce sound.

Hello guys.

Try this !

Go to AUDIO MIDI SETUP than choose whatever device(Interface) you have .
Right side of AUDIO MIDI SET UP window you will see CLOCK SOURCE . What do you see on Clock Source???? INTERNAL ???? if so , just select different clock source and back to Internal . You will hear the sound from Monitor again !!

Hopefully this helps
Old 12-24-2015, 11:06 AM

I ran into something like this last night. My issue was due to how I setup my sound card in the control panel while streaming & trying to hear myself using stereo mix 1. Streaming shows up when you have your device driver open then you open pro tools (Streaming is letting you know pro tools is open and it will have a different effect in your Control panel when you make chances when streaming vs not streaming). Do you want your Studio monitors output to be controlled through the Mbox Control panel (No) or via Pro Tools Mix (Yes). Depending if you disable your host controller (If you check disable host control pro tools no longer will control stereo mix 1... your mbox control panel will manage the output. To me this is a lot more work and just another window. It's easier to control everything through the mix window in pro tools.

Checking the box that says "Disable host control" if your streaming will gray out "Stereo Mix 1" (they did this so there wouldn't be a conflict in who's controlling the main mix) wherever stereo mix 1 maybe used in the control panel will be greted. This is so that no conflicts are made when pro tools is controls the main mix. If you uncheck the box, then the sound is totally controlled by the mbox driver. At that point you'll control the volume of the channel in the software return on whatever inputs your trying to hear. This doesn't seem to be the right way to hear yourself, seems like the right way is to allow pro tools to manage it. The only way I would allow the device control panel to control the mixes if you had multiple audio programs that needed to be managed and can't have pro tools hogging the ball.

My issue end up being, I was clinging too closely to stereo mix 1 for my tracking while using headphones. If your strictly tracking, sequencing and just getting your beat together I recommend leaving your headphones on a separate mix than Stereo Mix 1. Mix 1 is handled differently that all other mixes. Every other mix seems to be static regardless if you have host control on or off. I'd leave stereo 1 strictly for mixing and getting level right in your main monitors and nothing more.

Last edited by GoGoJoe; 12-24-2015 at 11:27 AM.
Old 05-25-2023, 04:32 PM

My FIX! (10 years later)
I had the same problem: mbox pro with windows 10pro.

Run the standalone "MBOX PRO control center"
hit SETUP on the top right
General setup tab
in the "Clock source" change it to "world clock" then back to "internal".
and boom, the sound comes back!
Hope this helps someone...
Good luck