Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-15-2012, 01:33 PM

Default Omni Pres/Converters vs. Other Pres/Converters

Hello, I hear the Omni converters are amazing like Orpheus, but how are the pres?

Can somebody please help me out with a test recording of a stereo double take for pan hard left and right tracks of maybe a double take of maybe some vocals or electric guitars to maybe compare the clarity and space and focus between the pres of the Omni to the pres on something like a Neve, Vintech, or other similar piece of gear?

And would also be great to switch up converters if possible too (for example Omni, vs. Prism, vs Apogee, vs Lavry. vs metric halo... whatever... and I will pay for your time on this test, whoever is interested if possible.

Thanks
Old 01-15-2012, 10:28 PM

Default Re: Omni Pres/Converters vs. Other Pres/Converters

I saw your question on Gearslutz about this as well. I can't answer everything, but I did recently get to briefly hear an acoustic guitar being miced through the Omni pre's, and then the Neve Portico pres (going through the Omni conversion). It was a very obvious difference in character.

In hearing these, and hearing the consensus of others, the Omni pres are very clear and neutral, with good detail. I think they would be similar to Grace Design pres. Very different from any transformer based pres. But still very good sounding and musical and detailed. The DI's sound very good also.