Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2010, 09:01 AM

Default Updating from 8.0.3 to 8.0.4...I don't get it.

Is there are simple answer to this? Seems to contradict, and I got the blue screen of death trying last time.
Fotunate to have made a system back up to restore to where I was at with the assistance of ADK tech....
I am running windows 7 32 bit 8.0.3

Windows 7 Additional Installation Instructions

Caution: When installing a version prior to Pro Tools 8.0.4 on a Windows 7 machine, DO NOT plug in your LE device when the installer instructs you to do so. This could cause installation errors. Users should install Pro Tools LE 8.0.x without their device plugged in, then use the 8.0.4 updater and follow onscreen instructions, plugging in their LE peripheral when instructed.
Removing Beta Drivers: The Pro Tools LE 8.0.4 Updater does not remove and update the drivers to 8.0.4 if the Windows 7 beta drivers (v8.0.4b) are installed. For customers who have been using the Windows 7 Audio Drivers (Beta) for Pro Tools LE 8.0.3:
Users who installed the Windows 7 Audio Drivers (Beta) for Pro Tools LE 8.0.3 should manually remove the Avid Audio Drivers via Programs and Features in the Windows 7 control panel before running the 8.0.4 updater.•If the system has been upgraded with the Beta drivers still installed, remove the 8.0.4b Beta drivers via Programs and Features in the Windows 7 control panel and then run the updater again to repair the installation.

ADK custom quad core, 6 gig ram x58 i7 rackmount PC
Windows 7, 32 bit OS
Apogee Rosetta 800
Avid 003 Rack Factory/ PT le 8.0.3
Music Poduction Toolkit 2
A Designs Pacifica
JW mod Drawmer 1960
JW moded Studio Technologies mic pres
etc, etc, etc, etc,
Old 08-14-2010, 09:10 AM

Default Re: Updating from 8.0.3 to 8.0.4...I don't get it.

It's pretty simple, really.

Because the 8.0.4 installer is not a full installer, it needs to have Pro Tools installed to work correctly.

If you have not had Pro Tools installed on Windows 7 before, you will need to install a previous full version of Pro Tools and follow these instructions:
Quote:
DO NOT plug in your LE device when the installer instructs you to do so. This could cause installation errors. Users should install Pro Tools LE 8.0.x without their device plugged in, then use the 8.0.4 updater and follow onscreen instructions, plugging in their LE peripheral when instructed.
If you already have Pro Tools installed and working on Windows 7, you must be using the beta drivers (as the other drivers should not have worked). In that case, you need to follow these instructions:
Quote:
Users who installed the Windows 7 Audio Drivers (Beta) for Pro Tools LE 8.0.3 should manually remove the Avid Audio Drivers via Programs and Features in the Windows 7 control panel before running the 8.0.4 updater

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 08-14-2010, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spkguitar View Post
It's pretty simple, really.

If you already have Pro Tools installed and working on Windows 7, you must be using the beta drivers (as the other drivers should not have worked). In that case, you need to follow these instructions:
Thank you for the reply!
Yes , I am currently running 8.0.3
The below instructions kind of scare the hel out me, I know just enough to be dangerous.

Users who installed the Windows 7 Audio Drivers (Beta) for Pro Tools LE 8.0.3 should manually remove the Avid Audio Drivers via Programs and Features in the Windows 7 control panel before running the 8.0.4 updater

If I manually remove the drivers, would I be updating? Or would I then need to perform a fresh install? I don't quite follow the logic.
Also, I don't understand the below message...
DO NOT plug in your LE device when the installer instructs you to do so. This could cause installation errors. Users should install Pro Tools LE 8.0.x without their device plugged in, then use the 8.0.4 updater and follow onscreen instructions, plugging in their LE peripheral when instructed. Thanks for your assistance Brotha!

Windows 7, 32 bit OS
Apogee Rosetta 800
A Designs Pacifica
JW mod Drawmer 1960
etc, etc, etc, etc,
Old 08-14-2010, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill60532 View Post

If I manually remove the drivers, would I be updating? Or would I then need to perform a fresh install?
You're removing the drivers (JUST the drivers, not the PT software) first, and then installing the 8.0.4 update.

Quote:
Also, I don't understand the below message...
DO NOT plug in your LE device when the installer instructs you to do so. This could cause installation errors. Users should install Pro Tools LE 8.0.x without their device plugged in, then use the 8.0.4 updater and follow onscreen instructions, plugging in their LE peripheral when instructed.
Again, as mentioned in my last post, these instructions are for if you do not already have Pro Tools installed. Since you already have Pro Tools installed, you can effectively ignore these instructions.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 08-14-2010, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spkguitar View Post
You're removing the drivers (JUST the drivers, not the PT software) first, and then installing the 8.0.4 update.

Again, as mentioned in my last post, these instructions are for if you do not already have Pro Tools installed. Since you already have Pro Tools installed, you can effectively ignore these instructions.
Thank you very much for the assistance Spkguitar!
This helps me understand what to do now.

I will make a fresh system backup with Paragon hardisk Manager, and then try again.
I will report back

Windows 7, 32 bit OS
Apogee Rosetta 800
A Designs Pacifica
JW mod Drawmer 1960
etc, etc, etc, etc,
Old 08-14-2010, 01:39 PM

f@ckin blue screen of death again....
I went to the programs and features and uninstalled the drivers.....downloaded the updater, everything went fine, no errors.
Did the restart of the computer...launched Protools....
Blue screen.
Any advice would be much appreciated

Windows 7, 32 bit OS
Apogee Rosetta 800
A Designs Pacifica
JW mod Drawmer 1960
etc, etc, etc, etc,
Old 08-14-2010, 02:11 PM

Quote:
f@ckin blue screen of death again....
I went to the programs and features and uninstalled the drivers.....downloaded the updater, everything went fine, no errors.
Did the restart of the computer...launched Protools....
Blue screen.
Any advice would be much appreciated
that happens some times. if you reboot and try again does it work?

If NO, then reboot Make sure your interface is off, go to device manager and change your IEEE 1394 Host Controller drivers. The turn off the PC. Turn On The Interface. Turn on the PC. and see how she goes.

on a completely unrelated note, the new Korn cd is really awesome, listening to it now

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 08-14-2010, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoni View Post
that happens some times. if you reboot and try again does it work?

If NO, then reboot Make sure your interface is off, go to device manager and change your IEEE 1394 Host Controller drivers. The turn off the PC. Turn On The Interface. Turn on the PC. and see how she goes.

on a completely unrelated note, the new Korn cd is really awesome, listening to it now
Thanks for stayin with me on this
1) Yes, I did try rebooting and blue screen
2) I located the device manager folder, and I see IEEE 1394 Bus host controllers....but what change to what?

I would enjoy listening to Korn, or anything if I can get past this blue screen crap.
Thanks again

Windows 7, 32 bit OS
Apogee Rosetta 800
A Designs Pacifica
JW mod Drawmer 1960
etc, etc, etc, etc,
Old 08-14-2010, 02:31 PM

You can try switching your IEEE 1394 Host Drivers (Firewire port) by:

Go to Device Manager:

Locate IEEE 1394 Bus Host controllers

Locate the port you are connected to. Right click on it

Update Driver Software

Browse My PC....

Let Me Choose...

Then try a different driver from the ones listed.

If it works, great, if not Repeat.

Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 08-14-2010, 02:44 PM

are you using the Firewire port on your PC or an "Approved" TI chipset card?

I use the port on the motherboard myself. It has been working better for me than the approved Digi card on Vista and Windows 7.

Some of the guys using the "approved" card found that the Legacy driver works best with 8.0.4 , but you can try them all and use the best.

As mentioned I use the integrated port on the mobo, and the best driver for me is LSI 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller. Of course your options will be different depending on what mobo you have and what BIOS.

Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio