Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 05-26-2008, 06:07 PM

Default Core Audio and OS 10.4.11

Very strange.

Just updated my OS to 10.4.11. PTLE 7.0cs5 works just fine, as does Bias Peak Pro (which also uses the Core Audio Driver v7.0). HOWEVER, while Quicktime 7.4.5 will automatically launch the Core Audio Driver, it produces NO sound when playing files I've played before.

I realize that Core Audio Driver is most probably not at fault, whereas the issue probably has more to do with Quicktime or some configuration issue. But has anyone else experienced this and/or have any ideas on what to check?

Thanks!
Old 05-27-2008, 04:29 AM

Default Re: Core Audio and OS 10.4.11

I take it you're trying to playback QT through your 002? If so, I think there was a bug. As I recall, the work around was to toggle sound output (between built-in and 002) in System Prefs/Sound.

http://www.myspace.com/philogg
Old 05-27-2008, 08:40 AM

You'll need QT 7.2 or below for this problem to be resolved. It's a pain, Phils suggestion is a workaround, alternatively just use something like VLC. It's just QT player which has the problem.

Cheers
Old 05-28-2008, 07:44 AM

Thank you, Phil:

You said: "I take it you're trying to playback QT through your 002? If so, I think there was a bug. As I recall, the work around was to toggle sound output (between built-in and 002) in System Prefs/Sound."

Yes. All of my audio (with the exception of system sounds) plays thru the 002. I've discovered this newest version of Quicktime doesn't play the audio if I launch it by double-clicking a file. If I launch QT first, and then manually open a file, it will play... but only sometimes. Then, if I close the file and open it again, it will play.

And, thank you, The DougFather:

You said: "You'll need QT 7.2 or below for this problem to be resolved. It's a pain, Phils suggestion is a workaround, alternatively just use something like VLC. It's just QT player which has the problem."

Great suggestion. I'll reinstall my previous version of QT.

I do, however, have a new question about how to tell the Core Audio Manager which applications I want to launch it. In PTLE 6.4, there was a Core Audio Setup application, but I can't seem to find one for PTLE 7. My Mac Mail app never used to launch Core Audio, but ever since I updated my OS from 10.4.8 to 10.4.11, it does. I'll post this separately, as well, but if you guys have any ideas on this, I'm all ears!

Thanks much!