Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2005, 12:16 PM

Default Experience with: Yamaha DM2000 and Pro Tools?

My church is wanting to start recording the band. But to be honest, they aren't exactly very good at even MIXING the house mix we have now. But that is another issue on it's own. Because I'm one of the few out of 2200 people with any recording experience, they have sorta put me in charge. Well, I'm not really all that qualified, because I know NOTHING about live sound really. But they have the monster Yamaha DM2000v2 board. We use this for the house sound and record mixes via a different "layer" or "Matrix" I think. I'm not sure. Anyway, the record mixes or "board mixes" as I know them to be are quite rotten. Mainly because they don't really work at making them better, and also because no one there really knows how. But they think that if they had a "studio" they could somehow come out of this board to another system, capture the audio (which could be up to like 32 tracks AT ONCE) then edit, mix, fix it all later.

My job is to figure out how to do this and what gear to buy. I wanted to start out with baby steps and work our way up. I didn't think buying $10,000 worth of gear was the right answer, when there really isn't any one available to even run it properly. I was looking at coming out of the DM2000 via cards either analog or digital to maybe a Roland 24 track unit or even Pro Tools. The DM2000 supports Pro Tools quite nicely from what I've read. But I have some questions.

Would we have to have a monster Mac or PC to be able to capture 24-32 tracks of live audio at once?? Oh, and i'm talking 24-32 tracks at like
24bit/44.1 and for like 30 minutes!!!!

What kind of Pro Tools system would be need to be able to capture that much audio at once?

I'm pretty sure if we go this route, we'd have to go with something that accepted digital inputs, etc. The DM2000 can send a variety of ways. Digital, Cat5, etc.

And hey, it's their money and they want to spend it. Doesn't matter if I think they are totally underqualified to take advantage of the technology. They want it,and I need to help them spend their money. However, I was hoping to be able to start out small and work our way up. But it seems that because they use that stupid DM2000, it's almost impossible to do anything "Small" now.

Thanks!

Jason
OWC External FW HDD
http://www.soundclick.com/jasonsheroan
Old 06-04-2005, 03:01 PM

Default Re: Experience with: Yamaha DM2000 and Pro Tools?

For what your wanting to do, Id go this route.
http://www.tascam.com/Products/x48.html

If you want 24-32 tracks with ProTools, youll need the HD setup and the 192 I/O box. that alone is around 12,000 without the PC. I have the Roland VS2480CD and you can only get 16 tracks recording at a time with 24 playback. However, two of those may get you what you want but the Tascam route would be cheaper and more streamlined.
I know Im the first to answer so others will have varying opinions here that will help you.
I like simplicity. if your working with people in the body who dont even know where the power button is, simpler is better IMO. take a look at the Mackie HD recorder, its only 24 tracks though but it does have full editing. talk to this guy, he does this stuff all day long and could help you
with your decision. He works at Sweetwater Music

[email protected]
Old 06-06-2005, 01:55 AM

Looks like you guys have the money and are looking for ways to spend it Anyways, answer the following questions and it might help you to get a good recording solution;

How many musicians are there in the band? In turn, look at the number of inputs from the band

Are there anything that can be grouped and recorded as stereo tracks? (Strings, Backing vocal groups, Keyboards etc)

Do you want to record every mic from the drum kit or can you afford to do a sub mix and record?

Usually, you can get a decent recording of a church band with 16 tracks (Well, i dont know how big your church band is) I see that you have a 002R. You can use the bus outs thru adat light pipe and analogue direct outs from the DM2000 to do a multitrack recording straight to PT. Anything more than 16, you will have to opt for a HD system, and your budget will shoot up 8-10 times. You can also look into stand alone 24/48 track recorders from Tascam or Mackie, but they have a dark track record of being discontinued in a very short period. So you can possibly imagine how they hold up to the many DAW's available today.

A dual processor G5 with 2-4GB of RAM will do the job for you. (You will never regret buying as much RAM as possible while you buy the comp!)
Old 06-24-2014, 02:06 AM

Apologies for cross-posting this:

Would anyone know whether the LED strip in the DM2000 displays the PT tracks while in the HUI layer?
Old 06-24-2014, 03:09 AM

Yes, it does
2xHD madi - 2xHD omni -