Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2001, 08:07 PM

Default Migration plan?

Hi - I am about to get a new G4/867 and I need a battle plan to migrate from my current system... all help is appreciated.

I currently have a G3/266 (beige) with a SBS/Bit3 7 slot expansion chassis.

I own a bunch of 3rd party plug-ins, all with disk (floppy) copy protection.

My PT hardware is a D24 with 3 PCI farms +(2) samplecell II/TDM cards - but this may change...

In the G3 mac, I have an adaptec 3940UW and a USB card (which will not be needed for the G4).

So my questions:

1. what is the best way to move my application and plug ins? Should I "simply" de-install and re-install?
2. What about the floppy authorizations? Is there a better way?
3. Will my Bit3 chassis work with the G4?
4. Will my PT cards work in the chassis with the G4?

FYI, I have a DDS-4 tape drive, so I can restore from tape - but what about my auths?

Any and all advise form someone who's done a migration like this is appreciated.

Thanks,

jr
Old 07-19-2001, 09:17 PM

Default Re: Migration plan?

Hey Jeremy,

I just made the leap from a beige 300 to a G4/733 and here's what I learned.

Don't waste time with any other card but the approved ATTO SCSI card.

Lose your USB card.

Pick up the Stealth port or Griffin g4 serial port if you still have serial peripherals.

Pickup a Superdrive for your Floppy authorizations. Do the big de-install and re-install to the G4. You might want to investigate which of your plugs have migrated to the new ilock or challenge/response.

Don't know about the Bit3 chassis or your D24 cards. Might be worth waiting to see what Digi approves from the new batch of Macs. Eventually they'll all be approved but probably not without some firmware and driver updates.

It's also worth checking out the Digi site and downloading all the current driver/firmware updates you might need. I made a CD-ROM with everything I would need prior to my install day. Everything went much smoother without having to stop midstream to find and download extra software.

Hope this helps,
Rob

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by SAMPLEHEADS:
Hi - I am about to get a new G4/867 and I need a battle plan to migrate from my current system... all help is appreciated.

I currently have a G3/266 (beige) with a SBS/Bit3 7 slot expansion chassis.

I own a bunch of 3rd party plug-ins, all with disk (floppy) copy protection.

My PT hardware is a D24 with 3 PCI farms +(2) samplecell II/TDM cards - but this may change...

In the G3 mac, I have an adaptec 3940UW and a USB card (which will not be needed for the G4).

So my questions:

1. what is the best way to move my application and plug ins? Should I "simply" de-install and re-install?
2. What about the floppy authorizations? Is there a better way?
3. Will my Bit3 chassis work with the G4?
4. Will my PT cards work in the chassis with the G4?

FYI, I have a DDS-4 tape drive, so I can restore from tape - but what about my auths?

Any and all advise form someone who's done a migration like this is appreciated.

Thanks,

jr
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>