Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 02-28-2003, 08:26 AM

Default Multiple Users for PT6

I teach a sound class and want to use PT6 LE in a multiple log in environment. But to my surprise Digidesign says you must install into a admin level account and run it preferably from the same admin account.

I do not want to give my students admin level access if possible.

Is there a way to do this?

Do I need to change permissions for all the elements that make up the PT6 install?

-David
Old 02-28-2003, 09:54 AM

Default Re: Multiple Users for PT6

You can run it from any account but you have to install it from your admin account. I'll check it out and see what I come up with.
Old 02-28-2003, 10:04 AM

Oops, you do have to have admin priveleges to run it. I just logged out and logged in as a guest and nothing doing. I guess you will have to give them admin priveleges. Why is this a problem though? Is it that big of a deal? You didn't even have that option in 9.
Old 02-28-2003, 11:36 AM

I called Tech Support and they said there is not a work around for this at this time. You must be in a Admin account for PT6 to run.

Where I teach we do not have a machine per student, some students like to alter the working environment. I was hoping that having log in accounts would keep this under control.

The work around is to have multiple admin accounts, at least the PT prefrences are saved per account.
Old 03-14-2003, 03:41 PM

I called Digi about this one week ago, and their response was "Multiple Users will not be supported".

Seems Digi might be attempting to make PT 6 a single user system in a multi-user OS. By imposing admin privileges, one is less likely to deseminate admin passwords at will. Though you can see by doing so this is a major can of worms, i.e. if you had 20 users all trying to record 16 tracks to the same disk - there would be serious issues.
Old 03-14-2003, 06:28 PM

An easy workaround would be:

Set up an admin account (let's call it "ProTools") & set the machine to log into this account automatically at boot time.

Set all the preferences as you want them to be & then use the poadlock icon to lock all the options to keep people from messing with stuff.

Never give out the password to the students. This was they have a proper admin account to use Pro Tools, but cannot alter settings because they do not know the password. You may even want to change the password periodically.

This will also keep students from installing anything that might cause problems or change preferences and wreak havoc on the whole system because they will need a password to install or change preferences.

Not exactly what you want, but a safer idea considering how many things can be messed up through an UNIX admin account.

Always err on the side of perfection.
Old 03-15-2003, 05:02 AM

hello David,

In sys pref. go to 'accounts' ;
create accounts for every student.
each one can have his/her own password.
In edit accounts select capabilities;
there you can decide what he/she is allowed to do on the system, or what programs may be used.
Problem solved.
In addition the students can make their own templates with their own passwords so they can't get into eachothers sessions ( if neccesary )
Old 03-26-2003, 11:27 AM

Steve, the problem is that most preferences cannot be locked, it seems to me, so there's not much security in your suggestion. Is there some way to lock the whole System Preferences window?

Paul, I don't see how you can select capabilities in an administrator account...the button is grayed out.

Am I missing something in the above two suggestions?

I run a Mac OSX lab, with ProTools LE6/MBox, and would like a good way of securing the computers (i.e-not giving admin priveleges to ProTools users, locking the dock, etc.) and still use ProTools.

Any other ideas? thanks....

Frank Fulchiero
Connecticut College
Old 03-27-2003, 12:26 AM

Hello David,

You first need to add a new user.
You can try it first, the new user is easely deleted in the same dialog box
Old 03-27-2003, 12:47 AM

Hello David.

To do what you want, you can use the possibility of creating other users. Once created, you (the administrator) can decide which pemissions these users have by selecting one, and then select capabilities. There you can set permissions for opening sys-prefs and which software is allowed to be used.

Really, it's easy, just try. It's a mac you know.