Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 12-21-2004, 08:16 AM

Default Multiple Users in OS X

Hi everyone,

I want to make a multiple user situation on a Mac where certain staff members have "admin" status but other clients do not, so they cannot install software, change system preferences etc.

My understanding of how to accomplish this is to install Pro Tools for each user so that the software resides in an "Applications" folder which is accessable to all, and then other support files reside in the "Library" folder for each user. I thought this would be starting with a full install for the admin, then loggin in as the other user, getting permission by entering the password when prompted, and doing a custom install that only puts in the support files. Or should I just do one install and copy the files from the Admin's Library folder into the User's Library folder?

Are other people doing this sort of thing and are there any caveats that the Mac & Tools community has to offer?

Oh, this will be Tools V6.7 running on a G5 with OS 10.3.4 and a pair of 192 I/O.

Muchas Gracias!

Noah
Old 12-21-2004, 09:32 AM

Default Re: Multiple Users in OS X

You're over complicating it!

The Applications folder is shared by each user, but also the main Library folder (not the one in each users 'Home'). This is where plug ins and support files are kept.

The library in the users home directory contains their own separate PT preferences.

You only need install Pro Tools in the main Admin account.

-Then each user can drag the PT .app into their own dock when they are logged in.

I'm currently running 6.7 on eight separate accounts here.
No problems except that occasionally 'some' challenge/response disk authorized plug-ins need to be authorized separately for each account (T-Racks, Autotune 3.27 (now fixed in V4)). No problems with iLok.
Old 12-21-2004, 02:34 PM

Thanks for the response, it is really helpful.

So I have two accounts, an Admin and a "User". The admin account launches and runs Tools just fine, but the "user" account crashes, it seems to do so while loading plug-ins. (It starts to launch, then crashes.) I am working with a rig setup by somebody else (yes, I like to blame others!) and there are duplicate files with paths like this:

top level of the drive/Library/Application Support/Digidesign/Plug-Ins/(list o' plugs)

also: User/Library/application support/digidesign/plug-ins/etc.
and: admin/library/application support/digidesign/plug-ins/etc.

I tried to delete the application support folder within users/library and received the message:
You do not have the necessary access priviliges (-5000) while creating "digidesign" while creating "databases" while creating "catalogs". It seems that I have a global system preference setting that is incorrect. It is definitely wanting to see something in the users/library folder. Any ideas? Should I just trash the Tools preferences?
Thanks again,

Noah
Old 12-21-2004, 02:45 PM
Avid

Hi,

Check out this document it should address your questions.
Thanks,
Digidesign Tech Support
Old 12-22-2004, 01:33 AM

Don't keep on deleting system stuff. You're asking for trouble!

The library folder in each users 'Home', contains things available ONLY TO THAT USER.

Things in the main Library folder are available to all users (this explains why there is a 'fonts' folder in each library, for example)

Make sure you set 'NO LIMITS' in the account prefs.

One more thing regarding crashing whilst loading plug-ins:
If you have Autotune 3, it definitely causes a crash when run from other accounts. The workaround is to re-install it in each account (this is fixed in AT4). This is the only plug I'm aware of that causes this.
I have asked Digidesign tech support to make users aware of this but they havent :
Old 12-22-2004, 09:41 AM

Default The culprit: Sampletank

Ok,

I found the problem - Sampletank. I moved it to the Unused Plug-Ins folder and everything seemed to run fine. I'll have to contact them to ask about this.

Thanks again for your help,

Noah
Old 12-22-2004, 03:13 PM

Default Re: The culprit: Sampletank

re: sampletank

make sure all users have read/write access to the sampletank folder(s) and files.
every single one of them.
Old 02-24-2005, 06:36 PM

Greetings Everyone,
I am able to run Pro Tools under a standard/user account (non admin- limited) in one of my studios.
My second studio I have yet to make it work.

A week ago I upgraded and installed Studio 1 with Panther and PT 6.4cs9, cs6; Waves ren Max, Bomb Fact, Reason on the root account only. I piddled around with permissions and was up and running in the "limited" user account. Everything working just great. (No more recording to the MAc HD or desktop by accident etc.lol) After installing Waves and using a disk authorization I had to contact Waves to change permissions in the Application Support folder of the root account and voila.....everything working beautifully. It has been online with no problems reported.

Today...literally the exact computer/software/OS setup -I installed PT and was not succesful. I forgot to install the cs6 update ..duh... I will tackle it tomorrow.

G4 2x1GHZ MDD
1gb RAM
OS 10.3.4
PT 6.4cs9/cs6
Reason
Waves Ren Max-Disk Auth